Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a dashcam and unexpectedly received one with a rear camera too. Seller said I could keep it if I wanted to so I have done.

The rear camera instructions advise fitting the power wire to the reversing light live

Question 1: The reverse light wires are Black and Green. I'm assuming the black is live? Haven't got a tester unfortunately & being locked down have limited options.

But I have a cunning plan

I've no interest in using it as a reversing camera (I've deliberately put the front cam up behind my RVM so I can't see it whilst I'm driving so the screen is no use when reversing anyhow) so..

Question 2: Can I wire the rear camera power into e.g. The high level brake light's live feed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm no auto electrician but i would think if you did as you say, then the camera at the rear would only get power when you applied the foot brake and i can see no reason why you would want this to happen.The reason the rear cam has a wire to connect to the live feed for the reverse light is to give you a view behind the car when in reverse which is shown on the front cam.If you don't want this function then i assume the wire could be left not connected and insulated safely and the cam would still operate as a normal rear facing cam ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that makes sense, I'll try this before getting too hung up on the little red wire 👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No joy unfortunately by just leaving the red power cable unattached. I've run the rear cam cable up under the roof trim and plugged it into the main body/front cam but I'm not getting anything saved from the back. I'll suss the live feed into the reverse light and see if that helps or maybe if the whole shebang is faulty.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
If the live feed is supposed to be from the reverse light, it is a reversing camera, probably when it activates it switches the camera display to reverse view. I doubt if it saves footage, but it might I suppose in case you reverse into something. If it is a continually recording camera, it wants to be fed from a switched live, like the one to the power socket in the boot.

And reversing cameras flip the image left to right too so the screen looks like a mirror.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, just found the one I've received on Amazon and double checked, it is a rear cam with reverse cam function also & seems it should be working as a camera powered from the front cam unit. I'll have to have another fiddle in the morning and ensure the connection is solid & working.

Pretty comfort that it is intended to record rear footage, the file tree on the SD has a DCIM A & B folders, A fills and loops the front footage.

I've dug out my multimeter and scotch blocks now so may as well finish the job and wire it up for reverse cam too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts