Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 56 plate SE. Recently, on first starting the car, there is a squealing noise which quickly dies away to be followed by "chuckling" noises which fade away after a time. Does not happen again during that day no matter how many times the car is started.It is intermittent in thatthe nosiesdo not happen every day. Happens on wet and dry days!

I guess it is a belt somewhere!!!! Any experience or thoughts, please?

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Sounds like a drive belt loose or worn.

Or it's that Sneaky hefalump, passing wind.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its the aux belt sqeeking, and the other noise is prob the air con clutch do you have aircon or climate ? - if its climate the ac kicks in when you have the de-mist on

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
It is the drive belt.

Nissan just couldn't be bothered with a nice reliable auto tensioner like the rest of the world, so you have to mess with it yourself.

This is not easy, as the entire car has to come apart to get at the adjuster, unless you have special arms and eyes on the end of your fingers.

I have a black belt in car maintenance and it is too much like hard work for me

I believe, but haven't tried this, that what you do is jack up the off side front wheel, and remove it.
This then gives access to a removable panel held by self breaking plastic rivets.
Remove this, and you should be able to see the adjuster.

How they must laugh in Sunderland at the thought of all that money coming in for fan belt adjustments at the dealers.

I spray belt dressing at mine, and it takes about 6 weeks before I have the radio volume on 100% and have to spray it again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine always makes a squeeling noise, ever since I've owned it,just leave it as it stops after seconds and I'm too much of a tight arse to get it looked at and its been doing it for 22 months on and off. Don't spend £££ if you don't need to. Happy Christmas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My note is 3 months old and has the noisey belt first thing in the morning, i will take it back to the dealers somtime, it's a bit embarassing on a 3 month old car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it is the drive belt making the sqealing noise. I bought a can of RocolBelt Dressing; two applications i.e. sprays, got rid of the noise. No noise for over a month.Difficult to get the can in position but................!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts