Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Yesterday my 08 1.5 diesel Note would not start correctly. It's done 38-39,000 miles. Ignition was successful, but then the engine would splutter and cut out immediately. Called The AA and the chap was able to diagnose a faulty EGR valve by reading the fault code. Basically, the valve became stuck open and would not close. He removed it, gave it a clean, but still wouldn't work.

At the moment the EGR valve is in the vehicle, but disconnected. He advised me to get a new one fitted ASAP.

However in this state the car is perfectly fine, back to normal. A few Google searches seem to suggest the EGR valve may not strictly be a necessary component, more for emissions and MOT rather than successful operation of the car.

Is anybody able to confirm that one way or another?

I'm sure most people understand at this time of year finances are not good. If I can avoid an expensive trip to the garage it would really ease the financial strain on my family. I dare say it will have to be replaced in a few short months before my MOT - but I'd rather delay if possible!

Alternatively it seemed very straightforward to fit the thing. I'd be willing to have a go myself, but I've never bought replacement parts myself before, and I'm wondering if I should look at a brand new EGR valve or a used one? Or even where to buy parts for a Nissan Note? It's a bit new to me, all advice is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
The only thing to watch is a joint DVLA /BC/Police check where they COULD (but very unlikely) test your emissions at the roadside. I only mention it as theyt were 'doing' cars and vans on the A406 near me last week.

For a replacement EGR try either eurocarparts or GSF oir a trip to main stealer.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Call me an old fashioned elephant, but the only person I want 'testing my emissions' is the VET.(the last time he did that, he used a length of pvc pipe and a box of matches...the resulting backfire burnt off his eyebrows).
Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Note 59 1.5 diesel 98000 miles, just been diagnosed with EGR valve fault, estimate repair by dealer £355
.Car drive OK just time to time engine will cut out after start, and then will start with no problem after a minute or two. I will check with local garages how much the will charge for that.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
more than likely the ergjust needs a decoke over time esp with diesels they get sooted up

all you need to type into YouTube is Renault 1.5 ERG

its a easy diy job if it needs replacing, if you don't do it, it may cause bigger issues in the future inc Motemissions problems

I will have a quick look to see how much the erg's are...........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Out of interest, those with EGR valve issues, do you use supermarket fuel regularly?
I had a Honda Civic diesel and the EGR valve failed after 36k miles, replaced under warranty , then started to get the same symptoms (surging / loss of power when driving) 20k miles later and was advised by dealer mechanic about the 'cheap' supermarket fuels not having the same cleaning additives. I thenused to add a squirt of redex to each fill (say 1/5 of bottle to a tank), whichsolvedmy EGR issues.

Since getting my Note I have tried to only used Shell fuel and notice poor performance/mpg when using cheap supermarket fuels - my experience is you get what you pay for! So far 51k miles and no EGR issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

The EGR valve is there to reduce NO2 emissions, which is not tested at the MOT. It works by allowing some of the exhaust gases to enter the inlet manifold and into the cylinder. It usually operates below 2000rpm. The exhaust gases not being the cleanest of gases slowly build up and choke the valve and also the inlet manifold. The best way to deal with this is to blank the exhaust side of the valve with a bit of steel plate(checkout fleabay) and then get a company to do a EGR delete on the ECU. Be prepared for the dealers may reinstate the delete if they have to do any ECU work. The EGR delete gets rid of annoying warning light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts