Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 SVE diesel has 97k on the clock. A couple of weeks ago, the red engine malfunction light came on briefly. When it reappeared more than once (and broke down, apparently fuel-starved) I couldn't ignore it, so took it in for diagnosis and got the P0089 (low fuel pressure) code.

It took from then till now to diagnose fully, but the verdict is that the fuel pump has broken up internally and the debris has taken out 3 of the injectors. The replacement parts alone would be £3200 plus VAT and labour, which is more than the car's worth.

So I need to consider my options rapidly. New replacement parts are out of the question; can anyone recommend any suppliers for recon parts or engines? Obviously I don't want to throw good money after bad, so the other option would appear to be to sell it for spares/repair - any suggestions on that front?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
ebay item 221194280175 as guide price but any garage will know where to source breakers parts and with delivery.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Don't forget to also look at Renault parts as it is the same 1.5 diesel.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Compatible Renault injectors are £150 each inc VAT here.

LinkEdited by: Nigel B

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Don't forget you need to get the injectors coded as well, injectors can be had for £250 a set, a recon pump can be had for £300-400

The fuel lines can be flushed and and blown through with a compressor and of course change the filter

You can get a recon engine fitted for £1200 ishEdited by: flash22

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your injection system is written off, not your engine.

So you need a pump (£300 to £600 depending on recon/new, less if second hand), 4 injectors (Renault are around £600 for a set with high pressure pipes, recon start around £100 each, so not necessarily worth it).
Then you need the round fuel rail cleaned, plus any other pipes as necessary.

Pump requires a new cam belt. You aren't going to take all that off and not replace it. You can do it properly for around £1200 on a Renault, so you should be able to do it for the same on the Note.

With second hand parts and a cheap mechanic, and no real desire to keep the car you could get it running for less.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
complete engine on ebay for £700 with no re-coding to do? and a lot less work than swapping all the parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

"With second hand parts and a cheap mechanic, and no real desire to keep the car you could get it running for less."

Indeed - I used it for commuting so even if I do get it running, I doubt whether I'd keep it. The question for me to consider is whether the extra I can get for a operational car is worth the time and trouble of getting it done - I don't a have a quote on an engine swap yet.

I must admit I'm tending more towards the spares/repair option - any thoughts on this? The only example I know of is a few years back when a mate got ~1k on eBay for his Bora after the engine blew at 200k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little update FYI. I did a bit more searching re the fuel pump failure, and found a few reports - one for a Note, the rest from Renaults:
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:TrackMoves/>
<w:Trackatting/>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:DonotPromoteQF/>
<w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther>
<w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian>
<w:LidThemeComplex>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplex>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
<w:SplitPgBreakAndark/>
<w:EnableKerning/>
<w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/>
<w:OverrideTableStyleHps/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
<m:mathPr>
<m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/>
<m:brkBin m:val="before"/>
<m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/>
<m:smallFrac m:val="off"/>
<m:dispDef/>
<m:lMargin m:val="0"/>
<m:rMargin m:val="0"/>
<m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/>
<m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/>
<m:intLim m:val="subSup"/>
<m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/>
</m:mathPr></w:Word>
<!-->

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/40473/diesel-pump-failure-killed-my-note

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35027

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=113851

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4362565

You can see the similarities - it may not be common but it's not unknown. The mention of low lubricity fuel is intriguing, but I know it wasn't petrol.
So what next? Nissan have told me that the 2011 engine on eBay for £700 can't be used, although it's not clear what the latest vintage I can use would be. An older engine is less appealing for obvious reasons, not least because it's more likely to be prone to the same failure. Neither Nissan nor my local garage have come up with an estimate for the engine swap yet.So I think I'll have to sell it as a non-runner and cut my losses. I've had a couple of quotes, the best of which was £1000 from webuyanydamagedcar.com which seems reasonable - we agreed that as a runner its worth was around £3500.
If your diesel starts taking a long time to start on turnover, and the red light starts coming on, I hope it's something else!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
search around car breakers for an engine of the correct age, you will find low mileage ones with a little work on the PC. good luck 2.5k seems a lot to write off

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you get it repaired:

Current fashion is now to add 2-stroke oil to the fuel tank every fill up in a desperate attempt to restore some lubrication to the pump.

Most of the fingers point at eco-friendly ultra low sulphur diesel as the culprit.

Later fuel pumps are teflon lined in an attempt to address the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts