Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm waiting patiently for delivery or my new Note later this month and I discover there isn't an engine temperature gauge. As I've never seen another car without one I thought I'd ask if anyone knows the rationale behind this?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Southwales,
don't be too worried I looked at loads of different car versions and manufacturers before settling on the Note. It is now very rare to find a car in this size engine/ price range with a temp gauge!

Yet another manufacturers cost cutting exercise-like no full size spare wheel.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
nope most modern cars dont come with a gauge just a "its all to late light"

The theory goes that modern engines are controlled by computers so you dont need one as the ecu takes care of it, in reality when your at the side of road swearing with your car looking like a kettle that theory goes out the window

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
The early notes had a temperature light that glowed a different colour when cold, ours just come on to tell you that the head gasket has already gone, as flash22 says.

I'd rather have a temperature gauge than a fuel gauge, I fill mine up from the tripmeter just like I'm used to with the motorbike anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It seems to have gone they way with most modern cars nearly all just have the dreaded light. Makes main dealers a packet.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
The second car I ever owned was a Daf 32. It had no fuel guage, just a bulb which glowed when you had a gallon left; or would have done had the bloody bulb not blown. I still recall the walk from the middle of Richmond Park to find a petrol station (in Kingston!!!)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
We just have to get used to no longer being the target demographic of the sales departments.

They think that pointless/plain useless features like wipers that wipe in the dry, headlights that come on in bright sunshine, woefully inaccurate fuel computer, alloy wheels that leak and take ridiculously expensive tyres are better selling features than a fuel gauge a trip meter and odometer display and a spare wheel

Edited by: mnl

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Funnily enough, I've been checking out oil pressure, and water temp gauges set in pods. Not cheap as an aftermarket add on, once you add the lot up. Senders/gauges/pod etc. Plus a bod to install it all.Then it's finding where to fit the sender for the oil. Water temp is easy enough.

Now where is there an old Mini I can rob.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I did think of buying one of those external temperature sensors, and sellotaping the sensor to the cylinder head, but I can't be bothered feeding the wire through.

However, you can buy a display unit for dash-top mounting that plugs into the diagnostic socket, and uses the built in sensors to give loads of techie information.

EDIT Scangauge2 (google it- some youtube videos of one in action too.)
Cost about a million pounds though

Edited by: mnl

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
ah i have a unfinished project along with my grille
a center gauge pod that i have been working on,i alsohave some depo racing gauges what are electronic and are a very shallow mount, re: oil temp and pressure you just need an oil sandwich plate (if you cross ref the oil filter for your engine it will tell you the thread size (cant think off the top of my head what thethread/pitch is)

I may have some gauges complete with senders (electronicnot mechanical) that i have used for mock up on a few cars and gauge pods iirc there splitfire white face gauges with the optional over bezels

If you like i will put a thread up later/next few days

Edited by: flash22

1 - 10 of 10 Posts