Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a nissan note n-tec auto 1.6 automatic 2012 my oil change is due but I can't find what type of engine oil to buy can someone help?many thanks

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Welcome to the forum Roger.

The forum search function will answer most questions.

However, to save time; the recommended oil, as listed in the handbook, is a fully synthetic 5w30.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
don't forget if you don't get the service book stamped your loose your warranty and any claim will be void

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Like Flash says, with a 2012 you want a proper service to keep the warranty. (doesn't have to be done by a main dealer) It will pay for itself when you get the new set of wheels next year

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Is it true that I don't have to get my service done by a main dealer ,There is a local garage at the top of my road ,will I void my warrant at all if I don't use a nissan dealer,I just can't find any information on this my car still has 2 years warranty left to run
many thanks

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
as long as there vat registered and use genuine Nissan parts and its done to nissan's specs not a problem

Yes there is no information around (only odds and ends) on the subject due to it not being that well known and the main dealers not wanting you to spend your money elsewhere as servicing is where they make money

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Guys well i think thatRoyal Purple Synthetic Engine oil is best.Thanks!!<h2 ="title" style="margin: 0px 0px 4px; padding: 0px; font-size: 13px; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: 'helvetica new', helvetica, arial, sans; color: rgb78, 78, 78;">
</h2>

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
And really rare (and expensive for what it is ) in the UK

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi just to let you know Halfords are selling mobil 5-30 fully syn oil at 20% off at £23.99, just bought some for my own note today,as for your service,just buy your parts off Nissan, and have an ind garage do the work,which will be cheap, as only oil/filters needed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went to my local Nissan dealer to get the parts for my 62 plate 1.4 N-tec+ 2nd service today and the engine oil they gave me was Nissan 10w40 oil. I was expecting to get 5w30 oil. When asked why he gave me 10w40 oil and not 5w30 he said that10w40 was the right oil for my Note and that all Nissan cars serviced at the dealers have 10w40 oil put in. He even went on his computer and put my reg in and it showed that the 10w40 was the right oil for my car????? He went on to say that the 5w30 oil is fordiesel engines with the partical filter fitted.Puzzeled by this I went to look in the service book but it does not give any information about the right grade of oil to use. The only reference to what oil gradesto use is in the user manual which only says that the "preffered" grade is 5w30 and when its not available to check the table for the right grade to use depending on the range of tempratures the car will by driven in. The table shows the range for 10w40
is between 40c and -20c which is within thetempratures of the UK weather so I suppose the dealer is right in what is reccomended.
So if what the dealer guy said is right and you have your petrol engined Note serviced every time at the dealer they will only put 10w40 oil in? Seems to be a cost cutting exercisefor the dealer given the price they charge for there fixed service plans.
I will use the Nissan 10w40 oil this time but next oil changeI will be using the 5w30.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It will slightly decrease your mpg and give the battery a harder time on cold starts but shouldn't cause any problems otherwise. Why didn't you buy your parts from a local motorfactors or supermarket or even ebay? Same stuff and probably cheaper too!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought the parts from the dealer for my warrenty, so i have proof that genuine parts was used. My mate will do the service at the garage he works at, its vat registered, and he will stamp my service book.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
One thing you have missed out on, when your mate down the road does your service, does he include "One years free RAC recovery". You add that too your bill and Nissan won't be far off. Also, If you have a problem with your Note, Nissan will fight you tooth and nail to get out of repairing it.They have the clout and money to make you pay,if you take your car too a mate up the road, VAT or no VAT
. You have two years warranty left, why take the gamble? THIS IS STILL A GREY AREA.The amount of times people write too Auto Express complaining about.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
10w40 is to thick it may cause issues with the lifters unless its done 60k-90k miles, the book states 5w30 for all engines and 10w40 for high mileage applications inc the euro 5 spec

if it was a petrol engine I would sayNO due to the way the chain is lubricated

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only referance to the grade of oil i can find is in my handbook it says the "preffered" grade is 5w30. Why would the dealer put in 10w40 if you had it serviced by them? As I said it is probably the way they cut corners. I bought the car in March this year and it had one service done by a dealer in Dec 13, i had to change the pollen filter in may this year as there was a smell coming from the blowers and it was obvious that the cabin filter had not been changed at the first service which it should have been, again cutting corners.
It is perfectly ok to have the car serviced by an independent garage aslong as its vat regestered and genuine parts are used and you will know exactly what oil has been used if you buy it yourself. I still have 1 year of breakdown cover fron Nissan anyway.
Dont get me wrong, i think the 5w30 oil is great and its what i always used in my last car ( my mate serviced that from new aswell) i was just so suprised at the dealer giving me 10w40 oil and said thats all they would put in if I had the service done at the dealers.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Going back a few years too 1964 when I got my first car, it was an 1952 Austin A40 Devon, I purchased it from an oldboy at work for £25.00 (the insurance only cost me £9.00 a year TPFT).Mind you, I was on about £3.00 a week.He told me "not to thrash the arse out of the engine and to use Duckhams 20/50 as it would use less oil. How oils have changed
. I used to love the smell of Castrol R when going to any race meetings
. (they don't make'em like that now)
If you go onto "Euro Car Parts or it's sister site Car Parts 4 Less" bang in you reg Number, it will tell you what oil you need, and at a good price.
Den12386, don't get me wrong, your mate may do a good job (he may be a far superior mechanic than any Nissan mechanic)and use genuine oil from Nissan,but as I said before, "it is a grey area" and Nissan will use the smallest excuse "NOT" to cover it under warranty. (I kid you not)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts