Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 56 1.4se petrol note which has just started to experience what im told is a slight misfire. i can feel vibrations in pedals and my seat when sitting at lights or standstill. Nissan have changed spark plugs but dont know what it is. the computer doesnt show up anything. they want to have the car back in to investigate the engine but i am not sure whether to do this. i can drive the car but it makes me feel uneasy as it feele like its going to stall. has anyone else experience of this or any suggestions? thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Does the car 'misfire' when driving at a slightly higher speed or just at idle.

What is your usual daily mileage.

How many miles has your car done.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
If the car does loads of short journeys give a good motorway run it will clear the cat out- if it still does it it could be a number of things

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
flash22 said:
If the car does loads of short journeys give a good motorway run it will clear the cat out- if it still does it it could be a number of things

That was my thought flash.
I was getting around to that.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
If the cat is a bit bunged up the difference between the 2 lamda sensor reading may be a bit off cuesing the ecu to under/over fuel at low revs
or it could be as something as simple like the throttle body and or maf are a bit coke'd up and need cleaning with carb cleaner

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Sorry for talking 'old school' again. I used to work in an Opel garage in the early 70's, and one of customers had an Opel Manta that only used to less than 200 miles a month.(A nice old lady).

Every 6 months it got a service, and when it was brought in it ran like a pig. After changing the oil and filter, it got a good thrash on the M40. Job done. She often asked why the service was so cheap.
Oil and filter......nothing else was needed.

My mates father in law bought it, when she 'downsized' to an Opel Kadett C. in 1974.

The moral of the story........give it thrash, and see what happens.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
23 Posts
sorry to hear your having problems with your little diesel..ive just bought a 1.6 11 reg note..my last 3 cars have all been diesel..ie 1.58 reg 1.6 hdi sport pug 207..110 bhp..2.ford focus 1.8 tdi 2004 reg 90 bhp..& lastly my ford focus c max 2l tdci 2004 reg 140 bhp..heres what ive learned..short journeys around town are a big no no....get it on a machine re any fault codes..eg egr valve or exhaust regulating valve..it gets coked up..resulting in low mpg,loss of power ie on /off the throttle,black smoke,shuddering bad running/starting ,hunting on tickover..ie high & low revs on tickover first thing in the morning..or when stationary....etc..glow plugs etc..my last 3 cars have all suffered these symptoms...hence why ive bought petrol now..ive had enough..let the techs run it on the machine..unfortunatly everything is run through the ecu..but yes a long run using all the revs will clear it out..if a big cloud of black smoke follows you down the motorway..theres yourfault..run it on some diesel injector cleaner..one bottle per full tank..around £6 from any good car high street shop etc..egr valves arnt cheap ..average inc labour £400 -£500..so best try the injector cleaner at £6..first..if not get it checked..it will only get worse ..any orange/red warning lights on the dash?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I now drive mini buses for the council and they all have particulate filters etc.. fitted, as most of our journeys are around town the servicing garage and the lease company both advise us to give all the buses a good blast down the motorway at least once a week to avoid any problems and to date we've not had any major problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
exactly ..just as i thought..all the problems ive had with my last 3 diesel cars are mainly because the wife only does very short trips/runs..home -schoolwork /kids clubs/home etc..all under 2 miles every time..im a bus driver for arriva & you should see the crap that these old volvos etc chuck out first thing in the morning at 4/5 am..while you warm them up..the other bus co run bio diesel..its like sitting behind a chip shop/curry house..but the fuel filters need changing 3/4 times more frequently..as std filters..why do you think london introduced the low emission zone..all the diesel vehichles..its getting harder for manufacturers to get these dirty smelly things through mot/emission tests..i might not get the mpg with my 1.6 petrol note but to save all the grief il choose petrol every time now..unless i move job/life changes & require me doing min 20 miles each way .etc..rant over!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi thanks for all replies.

just to update. my petrol 1.4se note has been looked at by a garage and they cannot find any fault codes on the computer and are couldnt find a reason for the slight misfire. they have put some cleaner in and said see how goes.

the ironic thing is that i had it serviced, filled up with petrol which was not my usual garage and then gave it a good run to the new forest and back. it was while away that the problem started. it only does it when ticking over at lights. driving is perfectly OK. am going to cancel Nissan as think stripping down engine is a bit extreme at the moment.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If your still using the fuel bought at the stated station, it could just be stale/contaminated fuel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
this sounds like one of the following to me..im no mechanic but ive had simaler issues through the years..1.iffy petrol..ie not full strength or water contaminated....run it & fill tank with fresh recommended fuel asap..with some added redex or simaler..2.coil packs..these get hot & break down the same as h/t leads,spark plugs etc...im not sure if the note uses coil packs..im sure someone on here would know..3.spark plugs..take one out & changeover to each cylinder if the car idles/ revs better theres your problem..it sounds electrical/fuel related..only a wild guess though..
good luck in getting it running though..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Years ago a friend of mine had a 24v Vauxhall Senator which developed a slight miss fire under light load , it was tested with all the usual diagnostics of the day and was even put on a rolling road with the latest Sun diagnostics and they could not find anything wrong! All electrical components were within specification. The manager of the garage in desperation called up some friends involved in Motorsport electronics and they advised that the lambda sensor should be changed despite it being electrically sound,this cured the problem. The moral of this story is , just because the 'computer' says there's nothing wrong, it does not always mean that it's ok. Sadly you may have to change a few components buy trial and error to cure your problem

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do the easy things first, check your leads are connected properly, check your spark plugs, for correct gap and build up of deposits.

There are many many things that could cause the problem, injectors, fuel rail, electronic problems abound, sensors etc etc.

it would be very rare if it was a fuel contamination problem. Many people have heard of it, but it's rarely seen. You will probably find an issue somewhere. The Nissan dealer will not be very good in my opinion,they don't pay so they will just suggest changing each unit till the problem just disappears.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Even if the air filter was leaking it would not cause a miss-fire, more likely an issue with an air leak on the inlet manifold or the vacuum pipe going to the brake servo. After all you can run an engine without an air filter, look at race cars! Manifold air leaks will create an over weak mixture resulting in miss-firing and poor idling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Karent650 did the missfire start after or before you had the plugs changed ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi

engine misfire started after a nissan service whilst away on holiday. at the service they also changed the brake discs and pads, would this do anything? plugs only changed when i asked them to look at the juddering. one garage did say could be air leak like some of you suggest. somebody else said ?engine mounting worn and so vibrating alot. am just getting on driving it. am told that anything serious the engine management light will come on. i have to use the car to get to work. dont really want to pay for someone to go and investigate when not sure what they are looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
have also noticed that when i put on demister/heater/lights or anything that uses a bit of power the vibration gets worse. did mention this at the garage also.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
karent650 said:
have also noticed that when i put on demister/heater/lights or anything that uses a bit of power the vibration gets worse. did mention this at the garage also.

Hi, this is down to extra load on the alternator requiring more power from the engine, this is more noticable when the battery is in poor condition.

The vibration you mention is probably the engine rocking on it's mountings but the cause can be soft rubber in the mounts or broken or just the engine rocking due to bad misfiring.. If it only misfires at idle and low revs it could also point to a poorly battery.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts