Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Note, I overlooked the spare wheel situation. Never had one of these emergency wheels, and can understand the space saving aspects of having one.

In the past, most of my punctures occured over the weekend, or at very inconvienient times.

So I bought myself a whole new, full size wheel and tyre to allow me to travel on without the trouble of limited speed restrictions.
Anyway, it fitted nicely in the luggage space, and jammed in with the rear seat.(I know.....not ideal).

To date, I have had no punctures to deal with, so that wheel and tyre have never been used. It is now confined to the shed, and only comes out to play when we go on a decent trip.

Peace of mind at a price...........was it worth it. I doubt it, but the emergency wheel looks good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't understand why car manufacturers insist on using space saver tyres for their spares. They don't actually save that much space, and the speed restriction make it impossible to use for any more than trundling slowly to the nearest garage, which isn't often practical...

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mr7526 said:
I don't understand why car manufacturers insist on using space saver tyres for their spares. They don't actually save that much space, and the speed restriction make it impossible to use for any more than trundling slowly to the nearest garage, which isn't often practical...

That's IF you can find a garage open, when you need one. After 6pm is a bit dodgy, and in the middle of the moors.

I would guess they're cheaper to produce, and save a bit of weight. Pennies count in the end.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Better a space saver than a can of tyre weld...my front offside boot sustained a 2" split in the sidewall on New Years Eve 2010. I was back on the road within the hour thanks to the spare and the great lads at Kwikfit Hounslow, who worked like little ferrets to get the job done. Thanks again boys!

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tyre weld........Aaaagh. Never in a million years. I'll keep the space saver.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Boysie said:
Anyway, it fitted nicely in the luggage space, and jammed in with the rear seat.(I know.....not ideal).
Doesn't it fit where the joke wheel should, but stick up more?
I'm considering getting a proper wheel instead of that silly thing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi mnl,<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Sorry to be the source of bad news.
I too thought about getting a full sized spare but the diameter of the space in the boot well is only large enough for the Mickey mouse (sorry sneaky for mentioning the ""m""� word!) diameter wheel. Still as others have said at least it's not just got a can of gunge!
All the best Spartacus1961

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mnl said:
Boysie said:
Doesn't it fit where the joke wheel should, but stick up more?
I'm considering getting a proper wheel instead of that silly thing.

No, it doesn't. But I don't regret buying a 'proper' spare wheel, even though it's still to be used.

I could still carry it in the car if I wish, as there is still plenty of room for my needs.

As said.......the can of gunge is never an option for me.

Don't let a wheel put you off buying a really good car, like the Note.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
the thing about the space saver is to prompt you to get the proper tyre fixed rather than just driving around with a flat/bald spare as so many people used to do.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
You'd make a good car salesman Sneaky

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Boysie said:
Tyre weld........Aaaagh. Never in a million years. I'll keep the space saver.

Too right!

Can't believe that you can spend £60,000 on a BMW and get a bloody aerosol which is useless if you get a sidewall split or 'decent' puncture.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
If you use the aerosol and don't replace it, Mr AA will arrive, ask you where it is, and then say "sorry, can't help you"

Happened to my sister in law.

Basically, no spare wheel/manufacturer gloop bottle kit = no help
(yes- she asked
If it is your second puncture on a journey, they will rescue you. She should have said that she used the gloop up on the front tyre or something)

Anyway, the nice man blew it up with his compressor (she hadn't got that either) and followed her home, and gave the tyre a top up half way. (About a 20 minute journey)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts