Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in a mag that Renault's new electric car is cheap to run? But once you have purchased it, the rental for the batteries is £70.00 a month, then you have to pay at home to charge them up.I've only done 16500 miles in two years. I couldn't afford to run an electric car, anyway, one of my daughters lives 125 miles away, and the other lives over 300 miles away. How long would it take me to do the 300+ mile trip?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Not long if you have a 300 mile long extension lead!

It's the range limitation that puts many people (including me) off along with the pollution from making the batteries in the first place.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
300 miles 2-3 days if you lucky enough to find a charging point otherwise you looking at 14-16 hours on a domestic 230-240v supply

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NISSAN LEAFNissan's Leaf electric car is not as economical as Nissan would have you believe.
You have two ways of buying this car. You can either buy out right including the batteries, or you can buy the car and lease the batteries

To buy the car and the batteries out right
Visia = £20990.00 Acenta = £23490.00 Tekna = £25490.00

To buy the car and lease the batteries
Visia = £15990.00 Acenta = £18490.00 Tecna = £20490.00

All the above prices includes the £500 Government grant

To lease the batteries you have three options
36 month lease = £70.00per month.(£840 per year) Maximum mileage per year 7500
24 month lease= £95.00 per month. (£1140 per year) Maximum mileage per year 10500
12 month lease= £129.00 per month.(£1548 per year) Maximum mileage per year 15000

But then you have to add in the cost for electricity used?
Hoping you don't have any power cuts.

For me to purchase £129.00 worth of diesel @ £1.40 per litre =92.142 litres = 20.26 gals
20.26gals @ 58 mpg = 1175.08miles a month(on a good run, mileage would be a lot more)
So in total I could do 141,000 per year @ 58 mpg.
And they are telling me, that you can only do 15000 miles max before getting penalised for more money?
If anybody who reads this and would like to check my figures, I don't think I'm far out?

You can stick your electric cars where the sun don't shine!

All figures taken from 17-23 April 2013 AUTO EXPRESS

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
The government grant is actually £5000 but your 'after grant' figures are correct.
There is no way, unless you are a total 'ecomentalist' that a Leaf Tekna can be considered as a £30,000 car.

I also wonder quite how much the range reduces when you turn on all the 'toys' in theTekna.

Mmmm, my heated seats are nice and warm,my Bose sound system sounds wonderful, The Connect tells me exactly where I ambut I don' have enough battery capacity to get to the shops!

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BUGGER, I knew I would cock it up with one or more of the figures, but you did check it through.WELL SPOTTED.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Many years ago I saw a TV program about the first electric cars in the USA, they reckoned that you could drive coast to coast with $5 of electricity, trouble was that the extension lead cost $50,000

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just checked the local Asda price for petrol, and that works out at £1.367 per litreAlso I think I got my calculations wrong?

£129.00 (per month)divided by 1.367 = 94.36 litres
94.36 divided by 4.546 = 20.75 gals
20.75 multiplied by 58 = 1203.5 miles per month
1203.5 multiplied by 12 months
14442 miles per year

Not sure where the other "0" came in? but I'd like to do star ship miles on £129.00 a month.
But how much would a Leaf be worth after 3 years?

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Asda price for Diesel is £1.367

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
My local garage price for diesel is £1.24 per litre. But I am in the emerald isle.

If I could run a car on fart power, I'd be quids in.

As for leccy cars.......waste of time and money. Too late to save the environment, so burn baby burn.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
887 Posts
Boss's neighbour had a leaf as a company car. Turn the heating on and the range goes down to about the end of the street.

I commute 100 miles a day, plus a 50 mile detour on some days. I think I would have to take a tent with me!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Last year drove a Leaf, as a courtesy car, for a few days.

Only 100 miles nominal range which rapidly reduced as I need to put lights, wipers and heater on.

It was an easy car to drive and well appointed but not to the level of its cost - in the short time I had it the most annoying feature was the rear view camera, couldn't get used to not turning around in my seat when reversing.

Agree, that the major and fatal stumbling block (especially as I live in the sticks) is the range and need to constantly re-charge. Not so good for my city friends either!

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the threat of the government closing down coal fired power stations, and being told thatwe will be having black-outs due to no power, how will you charge your car over night?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree the leaf is a complete waste of money until someone develops cheaper and better batteries. I personally think the Top Gear method of a backup generator is the way to go until nuclear power is small enough to fit into the engine bay, we will have to put up with the drag caused by the cooling towers on the roof.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think electric cars (just batteries) is the way to go? I've either read or seen that to produce the batteries is not good for the worlds green house effect, and NO I'm not a member of the green house party. The way to go I think,is for hydrogen power, there's plenty of that about.A good strong tank (10 gals in a Note)in case of accidents, and all you get out of the exhaust is mainly water.
Why the government are giving £5000.00 towards buying an electric car, really beats me? And after the £5000.00 it's still an expensivecar. But the take up of people buying electric cars really shows what the public think.The majority of ministers shouldstick them where the sun don't shine.

·
Registered
887 Posts
silverhairs said:
Why the government are giving £5000.00 towards buying an electric car, really beats me? And after the £5000.00 it's still an expensivecar.
The environment is a trendy issue, the government have to be seen to be doing something about it. Governments have a 5 year perspective on everything (except for railway lines to bring us to the stage in 20 years to where the french were in the 1980s...).

Hydrogen is the future, and is sort of here. They should give the grants to get the hydrogen infrastructure in place. Then maybe it would be attractive to sell them, develop them and use them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Coolbusby said:
I agree the leaf is a complete waste of money until someone develops cheaper and better batteries.

I did a bit of investigating a while ago and the problem with the economics is in deed the batteries, I read that they last 5 - 6 years and then need replacing at a cost of £8000. Now I ask you what is the point if the green option is so expensive in the long run?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I don't see why bio-ethanol isn't taking off...there's plenty of waste sugar products available for producing the alcohol, and it has the major benefit of allowing an engine to run a lot cooler...they're probably worried about us drinking the stuff

·
Registered
887 Posts
the government would be all for it. They can charge the fuel tax, alcohol tax and vat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The biggest killer of battery life is their temperature basically the colder they get the less charge they can hold and the shorter they last. BMW have developed a way of keeping them at optimum temperature which increases the range and reduces the charge time. I have been informed that there are some minis testing the technology now and are getting better mileage in winter than the leaf in summer. If the batteries get small enough they could be easily removed for charging like drills etc. 2 on charge while 1's in the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts