Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Hi Jymmer, You were asking about cars that do 50 MPG. My 2018 Polo SEL, DSG, 1.00 Ltr 115 BHP, with 1200 miles on the clock, so really engine still a bit tight. I'm getting just over 50 MPG. (0 - 62 = 9.6 seconds) not been on a long run yet. Leg room in the back is not as much as the Notes, but ample for a 6 footer to sit comfortably. The thing is, it's not in the Notes price bracket.

Reactions: Jymmer

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I can't deny that VW screw their cars together robustly, and yes that comes at a correlated price.
I'm happy with my note as it's fit for the daily work commute.
However if it turns out to become unreliable in the future I'll have a polo on my shortlist along with the Hyundai i20.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
The Hyundai motors are getting a good write up, not sure if their much cheaper, but I think they give a longer warranty time ? I've been on the motorway a bit lately and the amount of VW's there are, a bit common now, no wonder Germany wants to keep us in the EU, the amount of VW's we purchase.

Reactions: Jymmer

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yeah i fink Hyundai give 7 years warranty.. Nice
Some work colleagues have them and are smitten with the reliability/equipment levels/dealer support and fuel economy.
I would most certainly test drive an i20 if or when i decide to change motors.
But like i say there is just summat about notes that i like!

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Well it's not the forum that's holding you is it :smile_big:?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah i like the forum! And as E12's get more ragged with age and miles i can monitor other owners problems.
I've looked at several for sale on ebay that have run up well over 100,000 miles and still running worthy of sale.
Plenty of E11's with 150,000..
Mine is just so efficient at getting me and two workmates down to Bristol each day (we are all big blokes) so no need to jump ship yet.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah i fink Hyundai give 7 years warranty.. Nice
Some work colleagues have them and are smitten with the reliability/equipment levels/dealer support and fuel economy.
I would most certainly test drive an i20 if or when i decide to change motors.
But like i say there is just summat about notes that i like!
Kias have seven years warranty, Hyundais five.

I've never worked out why they're different, given they're basically the same company, and similar cars. I swapped my E12 for a Hyundai Tucson and have been very happy with it. The only downside (which I was aware of before buying and accepted) was the poorish economy. 35mpg from a 136odd bhp 1.6 petrol. But as I average 5k or less miles per year, it is still better than a diesel, with the added price difference and potential DPF issues and all the environmental hatred towards heavy oil engines.

As a previous E12 owner, I must say I was happy with mine. One or two minor issues, but sorted without quibble by what must be the only good and honourable Nissan dealership, (if these boards are anything to go by); Holdcroft Nissan in Hanley.

Mind you, car was bought nearly new (15 miles and six months on the clock, pre registered by the dealer, and as I only did about 5k miles a year for three years, so it wasn't exactly given a hard time. I'd probably have kept it longer; the insurance, tax and mpg figures were very appealing, but personal circumstances meant we needed something bigger.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My second DIG-S Tekna which has gone now had the drive belt & tensioner replaced after a couple of weeks (noise never returned) and the only 'failure' was drivers door handle signal button for keyless locking which the dealer fixed with a new button. Average mileage around town was high 40's to low 50's but on a long run averaging 65mph - 70mph I could get 60+mpg.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Simple really - right foot = tap. More you press, quicker the fuel runs away| Be in the correct gear and don't rush up to the lights then hit the brake. When I worked in a dealer (many years ago) I could demonstrate how not to drive to customers with a digital MPG meter attached to their car. Just to prove the MPG they got could easily be improved upon.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
And there was me flat out up to the lights and smashing my right foot on the brakes.. then wheel spinning away at warp factor 9 with a good old rubber trail of my Michelins all over the shire, Zepplin one or best of Cream screeching out of 40watt speakers on full... Well 40 years ago it was.
Now I'm with you yern, anticipating the next lights/roundabouts and hardly using the brakes.
Good driving is so much more relaxing and rewarding with better economy and less wear n tear on yer motor.
It frustrates the shite out of the young lads and ladettes behind but i just smile and let them pass. We were all young once.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I defended the E11 and E12 on here previously (despite issues) and felt a lone voice.
Thank you for the thread.
I don't measure mpg on each run but average is ~ 47+ despite my wife driving like a teenager and most of it her driving round the doors while I work

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
That's a respectable fuel consumption then Pete.
In fairness to many of the other club members it's noticible that some of them have moved on to VW cars and such like. You simply wont get a VW type build quality in a Note!
However you can pick up a very tidy Note for not too much dosh,
...and with the acres of space it provides in such a small economical car it still has some appeal and practibility.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Funny, the Note must be going up in value.

I paid £6400 for it in Sept 2016, it was a July 2014 model. It had 18'000 miles on the clock and still had a Nissan service left on the 3 year plan.

The dealer I just sold it to has listed it for £6500, it's now 2.5 years older, out of warranty and has 11'000 more miles.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Market forces Brian lol. The price you initially paid was good value.
The price the dealer is listing now is probably allowing for ropey 'trade in' car's, in order that he can offer a remarkably good price for a customer's old banger.
Other than that he is chancing his luck and I dare say it's in lovely condition!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Despite enjoying and benefiting from the advice on this excellent forum I have now sold my Note.

I have had 2 x E12s and at least 2 x E11s but probably more. Preferred the E11 for the feeling of reliability and practicality it had. The E12 could have been so much more especially as it became the biggest selling car in Japan after they made the e-power version.

There was nothing major wrong with the car but I had a few niggles which I didn't want to turn into reasons for me to dislike the car as time went on. In the past I'd have kept it, but I also came into a sum of money that was an unexpected bonus which eased the pain of changing.

Reasons for change:
- Slight colour difference between the plastic trim below the bonnet and the bonnet. The plastic looked "creamier" - could have been my imagination but if true it wasn't going to get better
- intermittent noise from the heater fan - I thought difficult to demonstrate to a dealer for repair under warranty
- Radio started to switch off and then restart randomly (Not DAB and 1st time for me to have that experience with FM). Switching on / off didn't always restart it.
- I read on here that suspension bushes could go more than once - I thought it was a permanent fix so that niggled (mine hadn't gone again)
- Intermittent tension belt noise that I hadn't got round to addressing since the dealer said not a warranty item as the car had done too many miles - no logic to that IMHO
- I charged the battery once a fortnight to ensure the stop / start stayed operational (yes I am the 1 person who liked it)
I also got what I think was a reasonable deal on the change but can still see that where I sold it is adding a decent mark-up to it.

Enjoy your Notes. Please do not let this post put you off as I believe there is a silent majority who are happy with their cheap and for most of us reliable motoring.

Thank you to all those who have supported with help and advice to me and all the other Note owners
Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Good feedback Pete. The only item on the list that i wouldn't tolerate is the random radio.
I'd rip that out if it was mine and fit a bettet unit.
Good luck with your current motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok my €0.02
Have an E12 Dig-s ordered in Dec 13' (dealer very nice at end of year...) got in Feb 14'.
It now has 78k KM on it (note since covid only 2,5k km) and has been between Blighty & Sausage land (Munich) 8 times. Garaged during the week and mainly used for long tours at the weekend.
1st Brakes Pads & discs change 2019.
Auxiliary belt tensioner (and belts) 2020, lived with the chirping for 4 weeks.
Low battery during last 2 years caused a P0039 (Turbo valve issue), changed battery in January myself to a varta (being in the vaterland).
Changed oil/filter myself, at 6 months in high mileage year as dealer puts in 10/40, I use 5/30 as our winters get down to -16oC. Note. buy a vertical tool Oil filter exchange.
Volume dial on radio goes crazy occasionally is the only real niggle.
And bushes don't sound great if you hit a sleeping policeman but dealer doesn't see an issue.. yet.

So basically, I'm fairly happy overall (costs/use), with 50 MPG average and 60 MPG motorway (Eco mode always on).

The only thing on the horizon would be the chain timing I expect after 100K or so. My son will start driving next year so I would consider this a hand-me-down at some point, with dacia dokker as next (unless something magical happens in the e-car market).

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
2014 E12 DIG-S Manual
74 Posts
Volume dial on radio goes crazy occasionally is the only real niggle.
I lived with this issue for one year since bought it in 2019, putting alcohol did not fix.
I thought it is not curable, but since it made the head unit almost unusable, I just gave the last try:
I pulled both knobs out and put just a spray of WD-40 into the holes, and now both knobs work perfectly like new.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts