Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2012 E11 "Select Edition" Note which I understood was supposed to come with headlight automation. I bought it a few months ago, but we never discussed this automation with the seller.

As I understand it, the automation should mean that during daylight, only the "fog lights" and possibly "parking lights" would be on instead of the regular headlights. Then when it gets darker out, the headlights automatically illuminate.

There's been some discussion on this very forum regarding it over the years and I chalked the whole system not working to the light detection module on the windshield. I thought that as it probably doesn't work, no use messing with it, I'll live without.

Today however I noticed during my drive to work that the instrument cluster lights went darker when I entered a tunnel and lit back up as I exited. This means that the ambient light detection works seemingly perfectly, yet the automatic headlights don't.

Now I'm interested in fixing this fault. Could it be a fuse or a relay related to the functioning of this system? I already checked all the fuses in the cabin as well as the ones under the hood in the awkward upside down holder but all were fine.

Or am I just totally mistaken and my car didn't even come with such automation? The whole IC illumination change is sending me on a loop regarding this.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Don't know about the E11 but most cars have a setting on the switch for the lights.
You have to set it to the "auto" position for the function to work. If your car does not have the "auto" position on the switch then i would assume the car is not equipped with that feature.Same for auto wipers too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know about the E11 but most cars have a setting on the switch for the lights.
You have to set it to the "auto" position for the function to work. Same for auto wipers too.
Hi, thanks for the comment - yes it is set to auto. Right now, it's the same if it's set to auto or on, the headlights stay on, fog lights off.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Give the screen a really thorough clean especially around the sensor area, it has worked for others in the past.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Has the wiring been modified somehow to comply with Finland's rules on daytime lighting? I don't think the e11 ever came with DRLs, it was type approved before 2011. The simplest modification would be to reprogram the BECM under the dash to bring the headlights on with the ignition.

Do the tail lights go on & off in daylight and darkness? DRL are only at the front in the UK, I would imagine that is the same for the EU, and if the dash lights respond to darkness I'd expect the tail lights to do it as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all,

I have a 2012 E11 "Select Edition" Note which I understood was supposed to come with headlight automation. I bought it a few months ago, but we never discussed this automation with the seller.

As I understand it, the automation should mean that during daylight, only the "fog lights" and possibly "parking lights" would be on instead of the regular headlights. Then when it gets darker out, the headlights automatically illuminate.

There's been some discussion on this very forum regarding it over the years and I chalked the whole system not working to the light detection module on the windshield. I thought that as it probably doesn't work, no use messing with it, I'll live without.

Today however I noticed during my drive to work that the instrument cluster lights went darker when I entered a tunnel and lit back up as I exited. This means that the ambient light detection works seemingly perfectly, yet the automatic headlights don't.

Now I'm interested in fixing this fault. Could it be a fuse or a relay related to the functioning of this system? I already checked all the fuses in the cabin as well as the ones under the hood in the awkward upside down holder but all were fine.

Or am I just totally mistaken and my car didn't even come with such automation? The whole IC illumination change is sending me on a loop regarding this.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
I have a E11 1.6 Tekna, the auto light function is on the light switch left stalk and has a position marked “auto”.
My dashboard lights change with the ambiant light level irrespective of whether I use the car headlights auto position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has the wiring been modified somehow to comply with Finland's rules on daytime lighting? I don't think the e11 ever came with DRLs, it was type approved before 2011. The simplest modification would be to reprogram the BECM under the dash to bring the headlights on with the ignition.

Do the tail lights go on & off in daylight and darkness? DRL are only at the front in the UK, I would imagine that is the same for the EU, and if the dash lights respond to darkness I'd expect the tail lights to do it as well.
What software do you use to reprogram? I am new to these cars and it would be handy to have.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
What software do you use to reprogram? I am new to these cars and it would be handy to have.
I don't use anything, the official sotware is Consult 2, which costs thousands and thousands of pounds, with a mahosive subscription, unless you can get some hookey hacked version off the interweb.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don’t know what you mean about fog lights. Auto lights means when it’s dark the dipped beam headlights turn on. in daytime they are off. There is no in between ie no sidelights on first, or fog lights, or anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts