Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into the "new" type of petrol being released in autumn this year ?
Apparently it's to cut CO2 emissions from petrol engined cars, but cars built before 2011 and motorcycles may not be able to use it. A vehicle check is available online to see if your car can use the fuel or not. ( Check if your vehicle can run on E10 petrol )
Am i being cynical or is it another move by government to push us all towards EV's ?

·
Registered
946 Posts
At first i was concerned.
E10 has 10% ethanol instead of 5% max in the current unleaded petrol.
But it appears that most cars built after year 2000 are good to run on E10. (The dot gov website says all nissan cars are ok from 2000)
They've used this stuff over on the continent for a couple of years now without too much bovver.
Also there are reports that existing E5 petrol will still be available at a higher price for owners that still need it.
Governments are always gonna encourage cleaner fuel to achieve cleaner air for all.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm running mine on Esso Super, which is zero ethanol, at the moment.

Before The The Great Disease That Doesn't Matter Now I was using a tankfull a fortnight, now I use about a gallon a month and the ethanol absorbs water and separates out.

The cost difference is insignificant with the mileage I'm doing. (It would likely be cheaper to hire a sedan chair for my journeys rather than pay tax & insurance....)

·
Registered
3 Posts

Before The The Great Disease That Doesn't Matter Now I was using a tankfull a fortnight, now I use about a gallon a month and the ethanol absorbs water and separates out.

The cost difference is insignificant with the mileage I'm doing. (It would likely be cheaper to hire a sedan chair for my journeys rather than pay tax & insurance....)

On the topic of economy, when using E10 mix - I understand that the difference in efficiency is only around 1% worse with E10, compared to straight petrol. It really should not make any difference, so long as your car is a post-2000 model. I've filled up a couple of times with the E10 mix and have noticed no difference at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are we sure it's a good thing to trust an incompetent lying government . It wouldn't surprise me if it will erode and damage your car ... What better way to get them off the road than to let the people do it to their own cars with no one to blame .just funny how a report from government saying use from 2011 onwards .yet the site tells you it's from 2000 . But you will be blamed as it's down to individual discretion . I'm sticking to e5 at the moment .I hate what it is doing to the ozone and I want to help but I just don't believe a word what the government say !!!!.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Are we sure it's a good thing to trust an incompetent lying government . It wouldn't surprise me if it will erode and damage your car ... What better way to get them off the road than to let the people do it to their own cars with no one to blame .just funny how a report from government saying use from 2011 onwards .yet the site tells you it's from 2000 . But you will be blamed as it's down to individual discretion . I'm sticking to e5 at the moment .I hate what it is doing to the ozone and I want to help but I just don't believe a word what the government say !!!!.
Fair observation. However we've heard evidence from members on the continent who've been using E10 for several years without any problems.
I guess if any owner want's to stick with E5 it will still be available (allegedly) at a higher cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts