Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.6 Note on an 06 plate. Is it possible to convert the rear brakes from drum to disc. I believe the Modus is rear disc brake and wondered if the rear axles were the same.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I don't know the answer to your query, but why do you need disc brakes on the rear.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
you may also need to change the master cylinder too, otherwise it could all end in a crash!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the master cylinder should be ok it the bias valve and abs head you need to work with
the modus is based on the nissan b platform the note is base on the extended b platform, its a nissan designedback axle on the note

if you really want todo the conversion i would look at the stub axles and brake setup from the k12 micrasr160 or iircthe jdm note has rear discs

drums are good for 250-300 bhp unless you running a tuned engine runing 150+ bhp i wouldnt bother as its a lot of greif for not much gain (abs sensors and a custom handbrake cable are just a few issues to get over)

decent pads and discs up front work wonders (grooved discs not the cross drilled as thay have a habit of cracking over time) and you wont have to get involved with the abs system

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The bias valve can only do so much though, the piston area in adrum setup is vastly smaller than a disc unit and could end up with a very soft pedal with long travel required to brake or even run out of travel. Always be very careful when changing brake set ups unless you are aware of all theparameters involved.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why would you want to do this brake setup on a note is more than sufficient.
It is possible but expensive to do it properly and hardly any improvement. Better front discs n pads or better tyres would do just as much at a fraction of cost

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I am considering such a drastic move is thatI am mightily sick of the rear brakes grinding. I have had my mechanic remove the drums and check the brakes which he says are fine.I suppose I could just replace the drums but as I am intending to keep the Note for a long long time I was toying with the idea of upgrading to rear discs. In fact my mechanic states that he was actually unable to get one of the rear drums off. Probably due to the wear on the braking surfaces inside the drum. The pads wouldn't come far enough back towards the piston to remove the otherdrum. He said that if he had tried to force off the drum it would have damaged the shoes and possibly the piston and adjusters. I would be gratefulfor any ideas please. My note is a 1.6 SVE with 74k on the clock. The rear pads (which the mechanic was able to check)on the nearside are fine with plenty of wear still on them.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Drums and shoes are relatively cheap to replace......check on fleabay. Once replaced and looked after, they'll be fine.Around £100, it will be a lot cheaper, and less trouble than changing to discs.
Rear brake cylinders are cheap......around £19 each.
Disc conversion will be serious money, and a load of hassle. ABS, handbraking....etc. etc.

My advice, don't do it. Overhaul what you have.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Overhaul every time price them both up £100 for full overhaul vs two calipers, discs,pads, hand break cable, possibly master cylinder, abs sensors, abs rings and a fair few hours labour.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Insurance companies penalise car owners who've modified their cars' brake system, even small changes like grooved/uprated discs. I've had (have) cars with rear discs and they were all plagued with problems. I much prefer drums and looking around I see plenty of car manufacturers equipping their new models with rear drums instead of discs. Drums are very simple, have you taken your car elsewhere for a second opinion? It's just a thought.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Please check the date of the last post before replying this is nearly a year old

1 - 11 of 11 Posts