Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started driving schooling a 1.4 Noteten weeks ago. Ive now covered 6k miles in that time the cars now showing 11k. It runs very quiet smooth pupils love it and im very pleased with it. The minor problems so far are and there only minor dont affect the car in any way.
After the cars been running constant for 7hr + the cam gets very rattley ( running car on 5/30 fully synthec castrol magantec) changed twice already
Gear stick jumps/moves around onlt in 3rd gear,does not affect the driving of thr car no noises from it.
Starter motot makes a screeach some times esp from cold when strting car,again works fine
so on the whole love the car. Just thought you might be intrested to see how well she performes under pressure.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Lots of us 'Noters' in west London. The guys at WLMG must be loving it.

Thaks for sharing your experiences, please keep us updated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi,I ran my GTi on Castrol Magantec for a number of years and then switched to Halfordsfully synthec. After switch, mytimingchain went very quite on start up. The Nissan GTi 2.0 are known to rattle on start up.

Could try a different oil!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the idea about Halfords Engine oil,I will change the oil every 6k anyway so when it come for change i will give it serious consideration. It only starts to rattle at the end of the day seems like the oilis getting thin ??

·
Registered
453 Posts
I agree. I wonder if the enginemanagement system would tell us what the oil pressure is, if connected to a computer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know what you mean about the "starter screech" after it disengages, it annoyed me at first, but I've heard it on a few Notes so assumed it's normal? Does anyone else's do it?

Can't comment on the oil thing, I guess you're the only one on here who runs their car that way. Interesting choice for a learner motor, but why the hell not, eh?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Yes, mine has belt screech after a damp night. Normally gone after 10-15 seconds.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Bodgit said:
I started driving schooling a 1.4 Noteten weeks ago. Ive now covered 6k miles in that time the cars now showing 11k. It runs very quiet smooth pupils love it and im very pleased with it. The minor problems so far are and there only minor dont affect the car in any way.
After the cars been running constant for 7hr + the cam gets very rattley ( running car on 5/30 fully synthec castrol magantec) changed twice already
Gear stick jumps/moves around onlt in 3rd gear,does not affect the driving of thr car no noises from it.
Starter motot makes a screeach some times esp from cold when strting car,again works fine
so on the whole love the car. Just thought you might be intrested to see how well she performes under pressure.
I would consider using Nissans severe driving conditions recomendations for a driving school car i.e. long on times with low speed equals large heat build up, so you may want to consider 10-40w for winter and even 20-50w for summer. I have a friend who does just that with all his school cars and he also bemoans electric steering systems as they often cut out due to temperature rise because of all the manouvering compared to normal car useage.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I "fixed" mine with half a can of belt dressing, only £7 a can.

Now I can drive with the radio volume below 99%

It got so bad I actually thought about adjusting it, but it looks like the entire car has to come apart to get at the adjuster

(Another plus for my old Corsa, the belt tensioner was automatic, and it never squeaked once in 60,000 miles)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Mnl,<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I know what you mean-the lack of space round most modern car engines is sort of reverse Tardis!
Ps which lingerie department do you get the belt dressing from?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Motor factors

There are some on eBay item 230866307783 or the Rocol version 110964223022

I suspect it will only last about a week though

I think the car has to be jacked up, the drivers side wheel taken off and then the plastic access panel has to have all the plastic rivets broken off to get at the adjuster.

(Wear glasses when spraying the belt, most of the excess comes off and goes straight in your eye)

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mnl
you're a very naughty person, I just did a e bay search for "car belt dressing" and items 2+3 just sent my blood pressure through the roof-now where did I leave my tablets.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That's nothing...my neighbour went in Halfords and asked for a rubber bonnet bra and some jump leads...he came home with a gimp mask and a set of nipple clamps

Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jump lead joke warning<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
A man tries to get into a nightclub. Bouncer tells him he must be wearing a tie.
Man goes back to car and ties set of jump leads round his neck (using a Windsor knot of course) Tells the bouncer it's a trendy new slim style tie, Bouncer said alright you can come in, just don't try to start anything.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I normally deal with squealing belts with a quick spray of WD40, works better than any belt dressing and only costs a few quid (quick spray only or you'll have the belt slipping!)

·
Registered
99 Posts
My squeal isn't belt squeal; it's a motor squeal of sorts!

Basically, starter motor kicks in, engine turns over, key back to position 2 and this noise occurs. Sounds almost as if the starter motor is engaged again, which it definately isn't, but it's the best way to describe it. I've heard it on a couple of Notes now, but if no-one else gets it maybe I should eb more concerned....

·
Registered
238 Posts
My starter motor has been sticking in the last few months on cold mornings, seems to be a common occurrence! If it carries on through the winter months I may have to take the starter motor off and give it a good clean and lube to see if it improves things.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nope, not the motor sticking on (I went back to position 3 once by accident when it was running, makes a far more distressing noise!) it's soemthing differnet. Just disengages in a right noisy manner, but as I say heard it before on other Notes. I need to pay more attention to others....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My old VW Type 2 had a starter problem that was quite common to the model...sometimes the body of the starter gets misaligned which makes the solenoid head drag or stick when trying to withdraw from the ring gear,usually when it got hot after a longish run. I used to give mine a good belt with a lump hammer and a block of wood but it really needs to be remounted carefully to get that shaft back in true. Maybe this is what's causing the screech on your Note?

Edited by: SneakyElephant

1 - 20 of 21 Posts