Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my Father in law was in his retirement he had a novel way of driving down steep hills. He would say be doing 30mph arriving at the hill crest. Then withdraw all feet off pedals and give the handbrake an almighty yank! Never touched a pedal till he reached the bottom of the hill. God it was terrifying, but he was such a lovely man, I couldn't bring myself to say anything!
Linda

·
Registered
181 Posts
I sometimes use the handbrake downhill for gently keeping to speed limits, especially if there's a speedcamvan about.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
The most Random thread of the day goes to.......................<div align="center">
<div align="center">*****Lindar*****

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It's a good way to overheat the back brakes though

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Volvo 122 many years ago back brakes overheated and caught fire due to dragging shoes in the rear hub after some twit of a mechanic adjusted them too close, had to stop at the road side to put the fire out but had no water to do so, luckily a full bladderrelieved the situationbut left an awful smell.

Edited by: mdvineng

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
SneakyElephant said:
I always avoid the problem of overheating the brakes by only ever driving uphill...
so you never get to the top then?

·
Registered
38 Posts
KayJay said:
So that's what the lever between the chairs is for, I use the one in my saxo for doing u-turns
I've tried using the armrest for handbrake turns but it doesn't seem to work very well.

Andy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Over 30 years ago, when I was very very young,
I had my only ever instance of brake fade. It was in an old Vauxhall Viva. The place was in Wales, on holiday, at a place known as Hellfire Pass. Not too far from Bala Lake on the road from Llanuwchlynn to Dinas Mawddwy. A long climb to the top then probably a 5 mile descent. Brakes wouldn't stop it, just slowing it at best. Fortunately more or less a straightish descent clung onto the hillside. You could see a long way ahead. God only knows if something was ascending what would have happened. A squeaky bum 15 minutes I can tell you.I think modern braking systems are to be commended. Never had it since, except for a W reg. Renault Clio, which when fully loaded, felt as though it was never going to stop on flat roads!

lindar

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Back in 1965 when I was in my teens I had a Triumph Mayflower. My mate and I were going home from a meeting at Brands Hatch. We thought we would take a short cut home, so we turned off Death hill and went through a village called Eynsford, which had a bridge or you could go through a ford through the stream, So we thought it a good idea to go through the ford. Not checking the depth just went for it
Half way through I had to keep my toe on the throttle to keep us going, the water was coming through the peddle holes and filling the car up. by the time we had got through we had to stop, there was over 6" of water inside the car. We had toopen the doors to let the water out, it made us laugh,
the only trouble was being drum brakes all round we had no brakes
So what should we do? wait and let them dry out or travel on with the brakes applied to dry them out
We went for it and carried on, hand brake on, and foot brake on. It took over 5 miles up hill and down dale to dry those brakes out. lucky for us, we only met oncoming traffic on the wider parts of the country lane. Would I have carried on today? I don't think so

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
reminds meof a broken clutch cable that happened the other side Rotherham , worked out a route back to manchester with only lefthand turns so no stopping needed, roads are too busy now to get away with it now

1 - 17 of 17 Posts