Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem daft to some of you, but I'm heading to the lakes soon for a couple of days and instead of taking my trusty manual Golf TDI, we're heading off in the Mrs's 1.6 auto Note.

I'm just a bit worried about how it'll deal with some of the steeper hills as it's okay on the flat but not great on power, and I have a question about selecting gears.

I know you can move from D to 2 or 1 but have never done this. Is it just a case of moving the selector? Do I have to lift off power? What speed should/can I change to 2? Don't want to *[email protected]& anything up!

Any advice/experience welcome as I'm new to auto transmissions.

Thanks

Edited by: freddieflintoff

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Stick it in D and use the kick down (press the throttle all the way down) the 1.6 auto is more than capable of doing the trip you just need to learn how the auto reacts

Leave 1 and 2 allown unless your doing a 1:4 hill start, down hill let it coast and just use the brakes it seems a bit in unatural at first but you soon get use to it. Auto boxes are not designed for engine braking

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flash22 said:
Stick it in D and use the kick down (press the throttle all the way down) the 1.6 auto is more than capable of doing the trip you just need to learn how the auto reacts

Leave 1 and 2 allown unless your doing a 1:4 hill start, down hill let it coast and just use the brakes it seems a bit in unatural at first but you soon get use to it. Auto boxes are not designed for engine braking
Will keeping it in D be okay for going up 1:4 and 1:3 without hill starts or would I need 2? If I do want 1 or 2 do I just move the lever whilst driving along?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Keep it in 'D'

The only time I have moved the shift to '2' was starting on a 1:3 hairpin at Llangranog in Wales and it sailed up unlike my old auto Alhambra which used to leave six months worth of tyre before it got grip.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I drove mine in Snowdonia last month, never touched the gear selector from putting it into D at our house until selecting P at Dolgellau*. (I don't do reverse
)

Seemed to struggle up a couple of mountain roads, but when I pressed the accelerator beyond the customary 'economy mode' 3/16" it happily went down a couple of gears and growled its way up.
Bit frightening having more than 3000 on the Rev counter (still averaged over 40mpg though)

I didn't buy an auto to mess with a gearlever

*Took the bikes for a nice 22 mile cycle to Barmouth, then back up Cader Idris to visit the lakes. Had to push up a 1 in 4 as my calf muscles couldnt take a mile of pedalling in 1st gear

I have a google earth track from my gps if anyone fancies trying the route out

http://www.jesterstear.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/files/mawddach.kmz

I'm quite pleased with that

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Next time you're up that way there is a fabulous pub in Llwyngwril, The Garthangharad.
Sorry to go waay off-topic but around Cader Idris is one of my favourite areas of Wales, second only to the rolling Presellis where, back on topic, you can drive around up and down the 1:4s happily in 'D'.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Good to know D will probably see me right.

Snowdonia not so off-topic as you might think as that's next summer's holiday spot. We're not doing planes and abroad with a toddler!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Llanberis Pass and the fabulous ice cream shop at Betws-y-Coed for 2014, you'll love it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to worry. I live in Norway and the thought of not preferring the versatile Note has never struck me -both Winter and summerHave a Nice trip

·
Registered
887 Posts
Now that you have decided you're OK with going with it, how's about trying it over Hardknott pass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts