Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My drivers side brake light stopped working a few days ago. I swapped the bulb for a new one but its still the same. It comes on when I turn my fogs on though. Does anybody have any idea what it is? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
In The Olden Days I would have said an earth problem. Try indicating right and see if the brake light is flashing, if it is seek out the body earth connection to that light unit and clean it up. (does the high level brake light work?) I suspect it is behind the plastic window trim somewhere.

There are also some "Super Multi-plugs" that all the wiring goes through. These can corrode and stop working. The stop light wire is red.

Trace the wires is the best suggestion and look for corrosion/broken wire, chafing on the insulation.

Nowadays with all the lighting controlled by an electronic unit (BECM) it could be this faulty, but I don't think the stop light goes through it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, I will try and look at it today. I had both brake lights stop working a few months ago when it was very cold, along with my parking sensors. They magically started working again after a few days, no luck now though!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
stop lights are on there own circuit the rest of the lighting goes through the ipdm (inteligent power distribution module) beige box behind the n/s headlight
theBCM controls the ipdm forthe auto lights if installed,are you side light bulbs working ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi flash,

My side lights work fine, also just checked and my top brake light doesn't work either. Frustrating!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
silly question you did try the bulb the other way around ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the bulb, I tried the passenger side bulb in drivers side and it worked. 50p new bulb, sorted. Is high level bulb the same type? In work and can't check yet. Cheers for the help fellas

·
Registered
109 Posts
high level brake light bulb is something i have never seen before in 30 years of driving,

it is a push in bulb similar to the number plate bulbs but about 6 times bigger, never seen one of these type of bulbs so big

it is a 12v, 16w bulb, i replaced mine last week and the bulb was £2.99 from Halfords

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Sounds like the capless bulbs Honda like for their newer motorbikes, I fitted my 'bike spare indicator bulb to a car recently, but I can't for the life of me remember which car it was.

Edited by: mnl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts