Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
When I worked for Lucas in 1983 we were working on drive by wire systems.
I built an electronic throttle with a servo on the engine, just like most cars have nowadays. You only hear of 2 or 3 a year that have gone to full throttle and won't stop, and they usually blame the driver anyway.

It would be easy to build whatever type of force feedback they wanted into the steering wheel.

Me: I'm a Luddite, I like a strong metal wire between my foot and the throttle valve, metal cams and gears in the steering and nice incompressible fluid between my foot and the brakes.

The note does have 2 of those, but I wonder what would happen if a transistor failed in the steering controller and applied full power to the motor when I was cruising at 70 on a motorway

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
you'd go quicker in what ever direction you were going and you'd better be quick with reaching the ignition key to turn it off before the OMG panic sets in.

On the fly by wire steering how well would you be able to tell what level of grip you have? unless you have loop feedback load sensors in the steering rack to the steering wheel reaction motors, starting to sound more expensive than the nnormal system.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
QUOTE:Although the vehicles would still be controlled by a human, one analyst said the development could eventually be incorporated into driverless cars.

At least that saves me going out then. But why would I want a car.

I had a bad enough experience of 'drive by wire', and that was on a fork lift truck in a distribution warehouse.
4 miles an hour, and the power went off. The forklift embedded itself in the racking, even though the brakes were applied automatically.
I stood there on my truck waiting the racking to collapse.(The truck had a built in safety cage).

So they can stick d.b.w, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Boysie, if we can send the car to the shops to buy stuff, that might be acceptable

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
mnl said:
I wonder what would happen if a transistor failed in the steering controller and applied full power to the motor when I was cruising at 70 on a motorway
I actually meant now on the note (or any of the many cars with a dirty great electric motor coupled on the steering column. (normally the controller fails so it won't apply power in one direction) . I suggest that the motor would simply snatch the wheel out of my fingers, run to full lock, and the car would highside whilst I was wondering what was happening.

Best keep the personal injury insurance up then

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
mnl said:
mnl said:
I wonder what would happen if a transistor failed in the steering controller and applied full power to the motor when I was cruising at 70 on a motorway
I actually meant now on the note (or any of the many cars with a dirty great electric motor coupled on the steering column. (normally the controller fails so it won't apply power in one direction) . I suggest that the motor would simply snatch the wheel out of my fingers, run to full lock, and the car would highside whilst I was wondering what was happening.

Best keep the personal injury insurance up then

If the power transistor failed open circuit, then no power to motor and stiffer steering (but not much) if it failed short circuit then power applied to motor so a tendency to steer in a certain direction (but not with much power) and as these type of circuits tend to use "push pull" configuration with the power teansistors, you would need both to fail the same way to make the steering drive to one side but the amount of power applied by the motor isn't a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All nice and grand,but would you rather "feel" the tyres through the steering column or get a message saying "Windows has crashed" and so are you??

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
"Windows has encountered a problem and is trying to recover, please call an ambulance."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts