Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14 plate Nissan Note 1.5dci tekna

15k miles from new and have just had to pay £300 for a dpf regeneration, surely this should not happen to a one year old car with only £15k on the clock

i do numerous long journeys even once to Wales and back so not that i only travel around town

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
£300 for the spotty youth to sit in your car and rev the balls off it for 20 minutes.

Bargain! Find a new dealer quick.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Nigel B said:
£300 for the spotty youth to sit in your car and rev the balls off it for 20 minutes.<br abp="860"><br abp="861">Bargain! Find a new dealer quick.<br abp="862">
<div abp="863">
<div abp="864">its not even that !! plug in consult tell it to do a regen it sets the revs and the regen cycle - fully automated

·
Registered
257 Posts
flash22 said:
<div abp="864">its not even that !! plug in consult tell it to do a regen it sets the revs and the regen cycle - fully automated
Correct.

Had to take a works van that only got used in town for a forced regen. The fleet manager had read horror stories before I wentbut it took 20 minutes max and it just sat there with no one near it withthe rpm between idle and about 2000 being controlled by the laptop.

After that they rotated it with another van that made regular longer trips and no more issues.

As for £300 that's a joke. Think the bill for ours was 1/2 hourslabour, probably £50 max.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not always helps. My dealer tried to regenerate DPF for days without success. They had to ask main office. Somewhere. Finally found that manufacturer failed to tighten some nuts properly thus preventing proper regeneration. This could also prevent (conspirology of mine) normal regeneration while driving, but Nissan of course refused to confirm it since they had to bill me for regeneration on-site

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Nissan won't admit to anything that they have done wrong. Customer care is far from perfect

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Own regeneration for free. Before you start, place something on your drive underneath the engine, (I read this somewhere)just in case anything (liquid)drops from the engine. Start the engine and put a block under theaccelerator peddle with a house brick on top to hold the peddle down. This will take some experimenting of the size block required under the peddle to allow it to be at a constant 2000 RPM. Do this for 30 minutes or until the DPF light goes out. Sod paying a Nissan dealer £300.00 to do the same thing
. 2000 RPM is only 1200 RPM over tick over, so it's not really revving the balls off the engine.
If you read the hand book they recommend you travel at 37.5+ MPH. (It don't say what gear to use, but I would guess 4th gear),where safe to do so, until the light goes out. But a block and a brick will do the same thing while your having a cup of tea

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for advice - I may check it next time if I have DPF sign.
But for sake of truth I must add that:

- I never had "DPF" signal on display, only "check engine" after about 8 months of driving (which killed cruise control as well), due to clogged DPF, not sure if this metod willhelp in such case;

- dealer claims that procedurewas more complicated: they did forced injection of fuel or something else, I presume into exhaust (?), while trying to clean my DPF. So it could be a little more complicated. I can neither confirm no deny this claim, haven't seen procedure with my own eyes.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Flash, just read through the site you posted, I found it very interesting, one bit I found very interesting was the part about low fuel in the tank (Low fuel level will prevent active regeneration taking place. As a general rule ¼ tank is required). Those members who think that running their diesel Note with a maximum of half a tank and think it's OK to run till the low fuel light comes on, so not to carry a full to half a tank will give them more MPG. But it also allows the sh*t in the bottom of the tank to be dragged up, hopping the filter will take it all out. Really they are putting their DPF in a dangerous condition of not working and it will cost them more than obtaining more MPG. False economy in my mine!To all diesel members, the article is well worth a read. In the hand book, Nissan recommend to clear a DPF you drive at 37.5 MPH when safe to do so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, this "non technical explanation" mostly confirmed what I've heared.Describes "Forced regeneration" but doesn't mention details. It could bewhat dealer did - forced injection of fuel using some override command to ECU. It could be fun to know more, but probably for nobenefit, due to restricted availability of such tools.

Funny however there seems to be different handbooks for Note. I searched through my Nissan handbook on Note E12 - it says nothing about regen conditions. Just mentions it's done automatically. I even scanned handbook and made text search to be sure (I don't like heavy paper anyway). Zero technical information. No speed, revs or alike, mentioned by other users.

·
Registered
12 Posts
silverhairs said:
Those members who think that running their diesel Note with a maximum of half a tank and think it's OK to run till the low fuel light comes on, so not to carry a full to half a tank will give them more MPG.
So my habit of scanning handbooks and carrying them in e-format is actually a latent attempt to increase fuel efficiency? OK, never thought about it, but sounds nice...

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I'm quoting from the 2011 Note hand book. Just reading through my favourite motoring mag (Auto Express) there is an advert for "STP Diesel ParticulateFilter Cleaner", they statethat the cleaner is perfect for todays stop/start driving of modern urban driving, and recommends using it every 1,800miles. It also recommends that if your diesel has gone into limp mode, tip in a bottle of the filter cleaner in, (£10) before taking it to a garage to have it fixed (and robbed).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Whilst I would expect an STP product to be better than your average snake oil there is a limit to what it can do. A regen needs not only this additive but the 600 degrees plus to burn off the soot particles. If the DPF is full beyond a certain figure the car will not go into a regen unless forced by the dealer on their diagnostic kit, that is what certain lights on the dash tell you. On our vans at work a flashing light basically means drive to a road where you can keep your speed up above 37 mph for about 20 minutes and a solid light means you ignored the flashing light and the DPF is now fecked.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I must say that the drivers who drive for your company are exceptional as most drivers who drive company vans don't worry about giving the vans a bit of a thrashing, (not my motor, not bothered), unless your vans drive up and down Oxford street all day?

·
Registered
257 Posts
silverhairs said:
I must say that the drivers who drive for your company are exceptional
Driver handbook clearly shows daily/weekly/monthly checksand states that any problems that result from misuse/abuse will be paid for by the user.One driver wrecked an engine because it had no oil in it but his get out of jail free card was the fact it was serviced 2 weeks earlier, worried him a while though.Not reporting issues that lead to major problems is covered by this.

Applies to all drivers except the MD of course.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
They have changed the regen cycle on the new e12 dci to a active system, a dealer regen can be forced, Overriding any of the required parameters under normal use the injector is one of those parameters as you can see from the diagram above<div abp="1666">
<div abp="1667">like most things these days technology moves on and companies learn or not as the case may be from there Guinea pigs, sorry customers

1 - 20 of 61 Posts