Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know of a good harness that The Dog can't just wriggle out of?

I bought one of the Halfords/AA types that go around her neck and chest, and within about 10 miles she was sitting behind daddy, when she was clipped to the seatbelt behind mummy!

It doesn't help that the attachment gives her some purchase to wriggle backwards out of it.

I don't think that my suggestion that I make sure that we all die in the crash, rather than just The Dog was particularly well received

She was a Good Girl on the back seat, no trouble at all*, in the boot she jumps around and tries to get over the seat, but I don't want her to die if** we crash.

*apart from a lake of sick when we turned off the A5 to head to Bala.

** It has been made plain to me that I must use the word if rather than the when that I was using in the car

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I gave up on a harness, and bought a travelling, collapsable dog cage with a plastic tray liner. The whole thing folds flat, to about 40-50mm thickness.Bought a mattress to suit, and my pooch was never happier.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Unsure how big your dog might be.... or determined....., but we bought one of these _http://www.muddypaws.co.uk/dog-car-travel-products/car-safety-products/backseat-barrier?sid=6kbqdc0e8dp6n41lu6v884ns33

and it works a treat. Both dogs also fitted with body harnesses and clipped to seat belts as per Halfords/ Pets at Home products etc etc.

The car also has the Nissan accessory window shades which helps reduce tendency to barking. But you may not have Miniature Schnauzers whose mission if life is to bark...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd recommend getting a retired greyhound.As well as our own, we've transported many of them between pounds, rescues and foster homes and almost without exception they just jump into the 'boot' and go to sleep until they notice the car stop, then they pop up their head as if to say "Are we there yet?"

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the trick is no the harness in the car but the one on the dog(s) a full chest collar/multi harness is the way to go - it makes the dog(s) trip so much better for them as thee not yanked around by the neck

Cats ftw, they walk them self's !!!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I think the cage is out, she won't like being shut in the boot area.
The barrier is an idea, if she keeps getting out.

I think I need to tighten the harness until her eyes bulge
and try again.

The problem isn't that she rampages around, quite the opposite, but I'd like her attached to the car.

This is the one she escapes out of

Problem is she has a big neck and a small head. She backs out and turns the harness inside out, using the seatbelt end as leverage.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bought our one from "Pets at H*me" for our cocker spaniel.

Its a fully adjustable harness fitting over front legs and around the body - the harness has a rotatable extension and can either clip to a hook or around a closed seat belt. Easy to fit on and into / off the car.

He is a frisky dog and the harness hold him quite secure.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts