Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at 10-plate Tekna diesel tomorrow at a Nissan dealer. They've got £7995 on the screen, but it's done either 38k or 48k miles (to be resolved tomorrow). No trade-in, no finance, and it's a month out of maker's warranty.

What sort of discount from the screen price would you expect? a) if I let them go through the full prep., valet, smart paint repair, service, MoT process, or b) if they'd do the bare minimum and get the price down accordingly.

Any other tips?

Kevin
to whom buying from a showroom is a new experience after 45 years of bombsites, driveways, and auctions.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Firstly check it through with a fine tooth comb, for any marks, scratches or dents, lights and all the gadgets.......inside an out, including the boot/load space. Check underneath visually, as far as you can see.Condition of wheels/tyres, for tread, and any uneven wear, and make. Plus the emergency spare.
Check the service record/warranty booklet, and see how up to date it is, and who serviced it.
Take it on a good test drive......20+ miles or so, and give it a hard time without thrashing it, including roundabouts. Don't be confined with a drive around town, or a housing estate. Listen for knocks and noises.
It should pull very well from the get go, and keeps on going.........If it seems sluggish, and reluctant to accelerate.....WALK AWAY.

Check the oil on the dipstick, and filler cap. Visually check fluid levels.

If you are satisfied it is in good order, and see what warranty they will give you.

Is the price of the 'a).Full prep etc.' included in the price on the screen.

Offer them £6500, and start from there.......whilst waving a bunch of greenbacks under their noses.

There are plenty of others about, so have a look around at them. Don't commit to buying it, unless you're convinced it's a good 'un.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I paid 6500 for mine 3yrs old 47k on clock. Had it for 2yrs now with no issues other than brake judder. Best advice shop around and haggle.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
If you are 100% happy.

£6500 cash tops. Cash talks.
Get an HPI done as well for your own peace of mind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I went to Bristol Street Motors in Ilkeston to have a better look at this car. First: the mileage. 48k, with the only entries in the service book being at 1yr (11k) and 2 yrs (23k), so it had done another 25k in a year with no service recorded. Visually, it looked excellent, including a virtually unmarked interior, and only very minor paint scratches that the salesman assured me would be dealt with. Tyres were fair - perhaps 3-4mm, but evenly worn.

It drove well, with plenty of go, straight steering and braking, and a good gearchange.

There has to be a "but". I wasn't convinced about the clutch. No noises, nothing audible from the release bearing, and smooth takeup, but it engaged very high in its travel, which made me suspect it might be quite worn. All the dealer would say was that if it needs changing, they'd change it. No attempt to get the service manager to have a quick shufty, which makes me wonder if they were already aware of it.

They'd advertised it at £7995, with 38k, which they admitted was an error. They then said that with 48k, it would only be worth £195 less. So that was their best offer: £7800, and they'd even insist on charging £20 to put some derv in it. (The test drive started with display showing zero miles to empty). They'd service and MoT it, (I think) put a new clutch in it, and give a whole 3 months warranty. They tried to sell me Gap insurance, some fancy polishing process, and a Car Care extended warranty, all of which I declined. I have no part-ex, and offered them payment however they liked - cash, debit card, bank transfer, whatever.

The sales manager tried to do some sums to show me he'd only be making £400 at that, managing to make the service, MoT, and clutch add up to almost £1400.

At that point I was rapidly losing the will to live, so I made my excuses and left.

At least today's duo didn't insist (as yesterday's chappy did) that I needn't worry about the cam belt, as it had a chain.

I'm beginning to like the Available Car approach: here it is, prepped, ready to go, take it or leave it, and don't ask the assistants anything difficult, as this time last week they were working in Costa Coffee.

Kevin (who is still looking)

·
Registered
887 Posts
3mm of tyres they would tell you to change them at the service with red red warnings on the summary sheet they give you. They sound like they are used to forcing the hard sell... i had that once, they were trying to tell me that my car was depreciating at £350 per month. When they start to lie to sell a car thrres only one option. Find another dealer!

·
Registered
92 Posts
You did well to walk away, mot and clutch would have cost sales less than 450. Plenty of other notes out there. Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
it got me worried the other day, had to go to bank to sort some accounts out and I thought that I recognised the lad that was dealing with this, he was a salesman that worked at the dealer 5 years ago where I bought my Note

·
Registered
92 Posts
sparra said:
it got me worried the other day, had to go to bank to sort some accounts out and I thought that I recognised the lad that was dealing with this, he was a salesman that worked at the dealer 5 years ago where I bought my Note 

Did he try and sell you some gap insurance on any shortfall on your account?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Kevin, well done for walking mate.
There's plenty out there.

Have a ring around for ex-Motability vehicles. They HAVE to be serviced annually regardless of expense and are often extremely low mileage. Most are three years old but the four year old ones can be a real bargain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This partly continues this thread, and partly the one I posted under For Sale/Wanted.

I heard no more from Bristol Street, then this morning I noticed that, overnight, they'd posted an "Event Price" knocking £1000 of it - as they have a few other cars. So I rang them. "Yes, still got it, a salesman will ring you back". Two hours later, I rang them again. "Yes, still got it, see you at 3 p.m." Quarter of an hour later they rang me: "Sold 5 days ago".

If they said "Good morning" to me, I'd check my watch.

I may get someone else to ring them, just in case they simply don't want to sell it to me for £6995, knowing they won't make it up in extras, and that I'll want it rectifying properly.

I've put on the other thread what I found about how Motability dispose of their cars, and talking to a local dealer recommended to me by GeorgeP, they confirmed they could order one from the website for me. The trouble is that unless it's seriously defective, you're stuck with it, as they want a deposit before they'll order. I really don't want to have a nose-to-nose (as it were) about how serious a doggy or ciggy smell is after waiting a couple of weeks for the car to arrive.

Keep looking.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Autolycus said:
If they said "Good morning" to me, I'd check my watch.
If they shook your hand, i'd count your fingers!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got mine from Evans halshaw in doncaster cost £7200 plus £195 for gap insurance (at my request). Did'nt think this was bad for a 10 plate 1.5 diesel N-tec with 35000 on clock.They did mention other offers but was'nt pushy at all.Needless to say I am more than happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts