Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to replace the front headlamp bulb? The owners manual/diagrams instruct you to grip the left/right sides of the electrical wire connector block and pull? I have tried this without any success. It just won't come off! I don't want to pull it too
excessively as it may cause damage to the headlamp unit. I have been at it for over 2 hours and almost given up. Do you have to take it to a Nissan dealer just to replace a simple headlamp bulb?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
pull and wiggle the plug you may need it leaver it with a fine flat blade screwdriver

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have tried that and if do it too excessively (pull & wiggle) the spring clip on bulb holder comes undone?
Do you wiggle it left & right or up & down? Do you need to squeeze the left/right side of connector and pull?
I never had so much problem in all of my previous cars with a simple task of replacing a bulb!
Any other advice before taking it the Nissan dealer?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had difficulty when changing the wife's Note Bulbs for better ones.I found that the rubber covers are a tight fit on the connector.
Pull the covers off first and then the connector is easier to grip- you still need to be a Charles Atlas, though, to get them off.
replacing the connector does need the covers on first.
Also that spring clip was a bit of a B%$%^$ to undo on the first lamp - was easier on the second lamp.
Hopefully I wont need to go through that again.
But why do they put the headlamps where you can't really see what you're doing?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
All modern cars are like this. Try a new beetle. You dismantle part of the car and there is a little trigger that you pull round to release the whole headlamp forwards to change the bulb.
Then you spend 10 minutes swearing at it trying to get the thing to slide back in (in my case give up and get a female with much more patience to get it back in on the slides.)

You would think that common sense would prevail: bulbs fail and need changing, so make it easy enough to do in the dark, but no chance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After all the advice, I managed to replace the bulb by damaging the headlamp back rubber cover. The rubber cover is causing most of the problem as its so tight fitting to fit your fingersin,to get a good grip, wiggle and pull.I pulled it right back and end uptearing it and just ripped the whole stupid thing off out of frustrating! It still so dfficult to disconnectso I used a flat blade screwdriver to praise the connector off the bulb. It so much easier to be able to see the whole connector now and at least you have a better chance getting at it. The only downside I need now to replace the rubberback cover from Nissan and got quoted £9.05! Why do Nissan design a rubber cover thats makes the job of replacing a bulb so difficult!

·
Registered
311 Posts
HI AllI have done this many times on many cars and I found the Note one of the easiest to do, open the botten which ever side you are trying be careful and systematic in everything you do.
Put hand down to headlamp plug grab hold and twist through approx Less than 90 degrees , (some are Clockwise others are anticlockwise), the bulb holder should come away, at this point you can remove the wired plug, but this is your choice!, then with a piece of clean kitchen roll remove the headlamp bulb. using the kitchen roll stops you damaging the Halogen bulb by putting yourfinger print on the contains damaging great and oils.
Then reverse the process to refit, making sure you are very careful with the handling of the bulb itself

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am about to take the car to the dealer to sort out a simple light bulb change. The manual directions are terrible - doesn't say anything about rotating anything - just arrows to indicate a squeeze then pull on the electrical clip. Impossible to release the connection this way.

I will try pulling rubber cover back...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi all Right here goes for some easy steps to removing your healight bulbs
  1. Open bonnet on your Note
  2. Which ever side of head lights needs removing pull off black wired connector(may take some gentle force) grip with thumb and forefinger and pull back towards cabin.
  3. Make sure wired lead is out of the way.
  4. Now remove rubber boot, put the palm of your hand against it, all your fingers grip at the bottom of it and release it from thw headlamp unit, being careful around the bulb itself.
  5. Now you should be able to see the bulb and spring clip that holds it in.
  6. Remove spring clip arms by pushing them towar the front of the car and splaying them outward (Gently)
  7. Thespring clip is hinged and will stay in place, now remove the bulb carefully, making sure not to touch the glass.
  8. Repeat the whole process in reverse to replace with new.
  9. DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS OF THE BULB

Hopefully this will help

Mike

·
Registered
311 Posts
My mistake with my earlier instructions as was thinking about the side lights of another car howevber the most recent article is the one to follow thanks all

·
Registered
143 Posts
Couldn't agree more re comments about the headlamp bulb seals...... tight, or what?? I swapped the OE bulbs for replacement H4 Philips Xtremeyesterday (fitted these bulbs inmy cars for years now - they're great!).

The plug connector has to be detached from the bulb terminals first - also a tight fit. To givea litle more working room I removed the sidelight bulbholders and adjuster motor plugs too (spring thewire retainers off first), which gets the very short wiring harness out of the way while you're struggling with the headlamp plugs....

To avoid damaging theheadlamp bulbretainer clipwhile trying to disconnect the plugs I pressedthe back of the bulb hard onto its seat (with the fingers of one hand), wiggling the plug connector and pulling backwards (with other hand). Eventually the plugs came off, but hell, the're tight!The rubber seal canthen be gently pulled off the headlamp bulb, and the bulb removed. Press theretainer slightly forward and swing to the right to release the bulb and out they come.

To avoid future cursesupon Valeo I used some siliconesprayon the rubber seal where itfits over the rear of the bulb, and some petroleum jelly squeezed into the plug terminal receptacles. I've done this for years on headlamp bulb plugs withoutill effect and always easier to remove.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
and if there's no silicone spray for the rubber boot, use liquid soap but not on the bulb terminals though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A tip I learned when trying it on our old Micra (which is FAR worse than the Note for this):

Halford's will do it for £7. I did not feel any less manly for making them do it, either. Because on the Micra you needed the strength of the Missing Link combined with the fingers of a spider monkey to do it. I almost felt bad paying them only £7 for what turned out to be a 20 minute job!

·
Registered
143 Posts
20 minutes per side was about right!! The 2ndlongest change of headlamp bulbs ever for me. Still, on the bright (?!) side the bumper doesn't have to come off (as per pre-facelift Modus) - how daft is that?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Did mine today.

It is indeed very hard. The main problem in my
opinion is removing the electrical wire connector from the bulb. The
black rubber thing makes it more difficult but isn't the main problem in
my experience.

The connector is VERY tightly (as mentioned by previous posters) attached to the bulb. I found it was best to:

<blockquote>Seperate
the black rubber water resistant cover from the headlamp, to expose the
back of the bulb (it cannot be removed completly at this point)

Release the wire pronged retaining spring

Then try to use one hand (fingers) to hold the base of the bulb firmly into the headlamp, while releasing the wire connector with the other hand (very hard, as very tight - I found 'side to side' was better than up & down)
</blockquote>
The
reason for doing it this way is because if you simply try to wiggle and
remove the wire connector straight off, it feels like it will damge
(bend) the wire retainer. So, you need to hold the base of the bulb
firmly, which is not possible unless you have displaced the black rubber
cover, and then released the wire retainer. (see pics).

It is, overall, not easy cos it's bloody tight.
Anyway, I took some pics (without the black rubber cover) to at least
show you the metal retaining clip. You need to push it towards the
offside to release it (red arrow). Only one side of the metal retaining
clip is secured - you do not need to 'squeeze the wires together' or
whatever in order to release it. This part is at the top of the bulb (it hinges at the bottom).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Coolhand,
Thank you for the great photos-should help all of us when the time comes.

As the great Telly Savalas once said "a picture paints a thousand words"

Thank you again, and keep up the good work

All the best Spartacus1961

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
coolhands. Congrats on excellent photos and thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did mine today. A flat headed screwdriver is useful for getting the rubber boot off. Hardest part is removing the black electrical connector, a bit of perseverance and it can eventually be worked off. The rest of the job is fairly simple from that point. Should take no longer than 10mins and that's coming from someone that's not massively technically minded!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Aye Up

Did you put a dab of oil or grease on the connecters before re assembly ? Supposed to help against corrosion, help to remove next time ?

·
Registered
143 Posts
That'sbest practice in my book and always have. Does no harm, quick and easy, helps next time around and should stop corrosion. Just get a blob of vaseline and press into the terminals/plug housing (oo, er). Bolt/screw threads too, unless there's a good reason not to...

Incidentally - GREAT photos ! Compliments on those.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts