Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The age old debate, of which is better or preferable has been hammered to death. But what was your reason for choosing your Note.....diesel over petrol or vice versa.

I've used both fuels in various cars over the years, but when I came to trade in(scrapage deal), I swapped petrol for diesel.
Main reason was for fuel cost savings. At present, I've saved about ‚¬1200 per year on fuel, over petrol, just in MPG terms. The cost of diesel here in Ireland is about 6-7% less than petrol. So that's roughly another saving of ‚¬75 a year.

So in total, I've saved in the region of ‚¬1275 per year over my old 1.4 petrol Nissan Sunny, which gave about 30mpg on average.(And these are modest estimates).
Taking into account the extra ‚¬25 - ‚¬75 a year service costs for my Note, I think I made the right decision.
Performance wise through the Note range, from 0-60 there is about 2.5 seconds difference, and top speeds from 100 - 115mph.

I can live with the extra noise of the diesel for that sort of saving.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
petrol for me as i dont do the miles to warrent the extra costs plus i dont like the sound and smell of the diesellol
On the newer note dieselsthay come with the dpf (diesel particulate filter) if you dont run these up on a long drive thay dont regenerate and become clogged costing £££ to sort out

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Petrol for me after fifteen years of driving 'oil burners'.

Don't do the mileage now, most of my journies are short and Diesel is around 4-5p per litre more expensive in the UK.

Also as the petrol Note doesn't need a turbo and comes with a lovely cam chain (I had a belt go once on a three month old Vauxhall Carlton - even made the traffic reports because of where I broke down - and hate the damn things) there's two less things to go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The salesman did ask what sort of mileage I'd be doing, and said the diesel wouldn't be viable on just short journeys.As I have been doing well over 12000 miles a year in the old Sunny, I took the diesel Note.

That old 1995 1.4 Sunny engine was as sweet as nut, and sounded like a sowing machine, so I was tempted with the 1.4 Petrol Note.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The short journey diesel damage to my wallet recently brought me to change to a New Petrol Note...trying to buy British this time , though I notice the Note alloy wheelsare from Korea..... I've happily had diesels for the past few years and never a problem until the last one that hada DPF, my journeys these days are only short with the odd 170 miler thrown in, on the last return home from the last long run there was a Bang and the engine raced itself almost into the next world leaving oil all over the road and clouds of diesel making it look like a forest fire....the car was NOT Nissan but from a marque that has more adverst on TV than anyone else, when being towed back to the dealer the very kind road service guy was telling me of the DPF hazards he is called out to, making it very clear my journeys should not warrant another diesel with a DPF, thinking this was a one off....stories prised out of the dealer revealed a different story and they always said at services....don't use supermarket fuel....and the dealer is not a petrol outlet so they have no axe to grind there I feel, the DPF/Turbo/intercooler/Cat as far as I assume were shot....luckily it was under warranty and only done 8000 miles...... my move to a petrol engine was there and then firmly in my mind....and no supermarket fuel either this time. 90% of the fuel bought for the other car had been supermarket...if that had anything to do with it I don't know..... but not taking a chance again.

One gent I came across with a 4x4 Sportage had his DPF go and faced a £2800 bill just to buy it....his was out of warranty and faced a hefty labour bill from the dealer to fit it, I have noticed that certain BMW owners on their forum that have BM's with a DPF...have had them removed and the increase in power and economy has been well appreciated....and what surprised me is they say it's not and MOT failure!!! not to have it on....!!!!

So....my New Note I have to say pleases me very much...although it's a 1.4 petrol....it's so economic and matches the last 1.4 diesel I had from the other marque...so I'm very happy, at the moment I've only done 600 miles.......wish it had a 6th gear..... but that's because I guess I came fram a diesel with a 6th.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got the 1.6 Tekna automatic, not exactly frugal but only done 3000 miles in last 11 months. Also got a 1.6hdi Grand Picasso for the family bus.Wanted a small automatic and the Nissan Note fitted the bill perfectly, space, bit of pace (not much lol), and ok on fuel.
Would have loved a diesel automatic but small spacious diesel autos are few and far between.
Getting 32-34 mpg out of ours mainly City driving. Great little car and the engine and gearbox are a good partnership, its a pity the road tax is so high, think its £190 or £195 a year ouch!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got a vested interest in this debate. I've got a petrol 1.6 auto note and my other car is a Seat Altea 1.9 tdi auto dsg. I was thinking about swapping the Seat for an X -Trail. I was considering the diesel auto but I have to admit to being worried about this dpf problem. The Seat forums are full of miserable diesel owners that have been stung by this problem and looking on the the X-Trail forums the dpf issues are the same. So I was thinking about a petrol auto X - Trail but I dread to think what the mpg is on a 2.5 litre. So do I risk a diesel X-Trail or go for something different. I love the Nissan brand .......if only everything was as sweet as my Note!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
One of the reasons I rejected the Altea XL Diesel in favour of the Note (apart from the total a-hole of a Seat salesman who called my wife 'luvvie' as soon as he met her and seemed annoyed that I wanted a test drive) was the pages of DPF problems reported. Such a shame as I had been Seat 'brand-loyal' for 14 years. I miss some of the features from my Alhambra but I am glad I made the switch as I now realise that I didn't actually need a car quite that big now the kids have 'flown'.

How about a petrol Kia Sportage?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The main requirement I have is space as I have a large dog and take trips to the Highlands of Scotland with loads of hiking and self catering paraphernalia....oh and my wife. With a 1200 return trip besides driving around up there I need the economy of a diesel and both my wife and I prefer automatics. Lately the weather up there and at home seems to be worsening and last time I visited a snowplough decided that it was me who had to leave the road to make way....unfortunately I didn't have the clearance in the snow. So I thought an X Trail would be ideal. The Sportage is too small for all my luggage and dog and the Sorrento too big and expensive. Ideally I need a four wheel drive diesel auto 1.6 note xtra large!!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
It's a shame that the Sportage XL isn't available in the UK.

How about a second-hand (pre-DPF) X-trail or Pathfinder?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know nothing about the X trail...what date is pre dpf? Or, as I've been spoilt with the connect system and climate control in my note, I go for a newer X Trail and make sure it has got a good warranty. Any one got an X Trail? Any views or dpf problems?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Greyrider said:
I know nothing about the X trail...what date is pre dpf? Or, as I've been spoilt with the connect system and climate control in my note, I go for a newer X Trail and make sure it has got a good warranty. Any one got an X Trail? Any views or dpf problems?

Pre-DPF would be upto late 2009/early 2010. If 'old stock' you might get a 2010 vehicle without, best check with the selling dealer.

If you go for a Nissan Cared4Car you get a minimum 12 month warranty and roadside assistance. You pay a little more but you get peace of mind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My wife tried the xtrail...too big ...too agricultural.....didn't like it. But then she saw the Qashqai 2+2....just came in to the dealer.....diesel....auto....Tekna spec.....who needs reversing sensors when it's got a reversing camera.......panoramic roof....leather....satnav connect...heated seats......oh dear......just got to find the money for it.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts