Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have had a 2008 1.4 acenta for the last 5 years, tomorrow Im changing it for 2013 1.5 Dci N-TEC+ due to doing increased miles, and the Acenta starting to have a few problems.

The guy at the showroom commented that the diesel doesn't have a DPF, but has a Cat instead. Looking on the internet, it looks like all Note diesels have DPF's fitted after 2010 if I am correct. So this means that this statement is not accurate, or the DPF has been removed for some reason.

If it has been removed, would this bring any problems in the future passing MOT's for example, or indeed is it legal?

Please could you let me know your thoughts on this.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
dpf is a secondary cat with the addition of a fuel injector, when the sensors detect itis up to temperature it injects fuel into a chamber what ingnites the fuel burning off the particulates
so its a cat of types

is this the last of the old shape ?? the newer e12 diesels run a slightly different set up as it meets the newer euro specs

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Hi Jimnote,There has been comments about the DPF. I've had mydiesel Note for 3.5 years, do about 8000 miles per year and never had a spot of bother with it. If you have it disconnected, it will fail the MOT.
Hope you have many trouble free miles

As long as you keep the revs above 1700 RPM it will pull like a steam engine, far stronger than your 1.4 petrol, and more MPG

·
Registered
30 Posts
As the check for the DPF is visual, so long as you have the bulge in the exhaust they won't know the internals have been removed.You would also have to remove it off the ECU otherwise it will flash up on the dashboard as a fault

·
Registered
54 Posts
My understanding is that the MoT boys will be aware of all the dodges and bodges when it comes to removing a DPF, and your chances of getting caught out are high.

DPF need not be scary if all is working properly, and like cats a few years ago, replacements are not as costly as they were a while back.

The best way to avoid DPF completely of course is to run a petrol-engined car!

Jack

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barrule said:
As the check for the DPF is visual, so long as you have the bulge in the exhaust they won't know the internals have been removed.You would also have to remove it off the ECU otherwise it will flash up on the dashboard as a fault
Well, I bought the car after being assured a mistake had been made and it did in fact have a DPF fitted. However, I noticed later when I turn on the ignition key, no DPF light (or glow plug light) illuminated on the dashboard as it should according to the manual. I wonder if it has been removed off the ECU as you say?

Does anyone else have a 2013 1.5DCi NTEC+, and does the DPF and glow plug warning lights come on when you turn the ignition to on?

I think Im going to have to get it properly checked out bya Nissan dealer for peace of mind and return it if I have been sold a modified car.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Cheaper yet is to get an emissions check done.
If it passes do not worry, if it does not.............

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2012 Note 1.5 does not show the DPF light either, bulbs gone/removed or just a feature they decided to save money on? Although my glow plug light does come on for a very short while...

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Stop looking for trouble, just drive the car. It's like thinking you will have an accident every time you go out. Read your hand book about the DPF, you will be surprized how it works with normal driving. None of this going on the motorway and keep it at 75 MPH for 60 minutes. (Load of rubbish).
Let the petrol boys have their say, and take it with apinch of salt. If your worried about your DPF, it's a 2013 so it will be under warranty, just take it back and ask them to check it out. The do what the government does, "Kick the thought into the long grass"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I bought the car after being assured a mistake had been made and it did in fact have a DPF fitted. However, I noticed later when I turn on the ignition key, no DPF light (or glow plug light) illuminated on the dashboard as it should according to the manual. I wonder if it has been removed off the ECU as you say?

Does anyone else have a 2013 1.5DCi NTEC+, and does the DPF and glow plug warning lights come on when you turn the ignition to on?

I think Im going to have to get it properly checked out bya Nissan dealer for peace of mind and return it if I have been sold a modified car.
I've got a 2013 1.5dci Ntec. My manual says that the red management light means water in the fuel. My red light came on so I drained the filter. No water. Orange light then came on. Obd said DPF blocked. Would not regenerate. Cleared codes and went for drive keeping revs above 2000, no joy. Added AR 6400p max to fuel, ran engine above 2000 for half an hour, codes did not come on. Next day, red light on again but obd gave p0380, glow plug problem.
I suspect that Nissan could not be bothered to amend the manual or add a DPF warning light to the dash, hoping to generate work for dealers.
Also, make sure that both drivers and passenger side airbags have been replaced.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I suspect that Nissan could not be bothered to amend the manual or add a DPF warning light to the dash, hoping to generate work for dealers.
Had 3 diesels with DPF's and none have had a specific light to warn of DPF issues. All have used the engine warning light to do the job. The details have either been on the door sticker, manual or both.

I fairness all 3 models began life without a DPF and it was only added when required by law but the manufacturers had gone to the trouble of providing a warning. On newer models with a DPF from design there may well be a DPF warning light but as with any dash warning you need to have read the handbook to know what it means and how many do that.

I was guilty back in 1996 with a Golf but in fairness to me there was no info in the manual. Driving down the A1 and the glow plug light began to flash. Did not have the manual and in those days no smartphones to do a search so decided to pull over at the next safe spot and have a look. As soon as I hit the brake pedal the light stopped flashing so carried on but about 12 miles later it started again. Touched the brake pedal again and it stopped so decided to carry on and simply had to do that every 12 miles for the next few hours. As I said, when we got home there was nothing in the manual so rang the dealer ASAP i.e. Monday morning. They had no idea so had to take the car in (6 months old so warranty) and it turned out to be the brake light switch attached to the brake pedal that was out of range.

I can see why the engine light and DPF malfunction could be linked but Glow plugs and brake lights, that one beggars belief.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts