Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

Diesel Clutch Slip

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  craigfishin 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I've a 59 Diesel Note with 53k on the clock, about amonth (1.5k miles)ago, going up a hill on a motorway at about 70 in top, I put my foot down and the clutch slipped. Its still doing it and I think its starting to slip with less power.

I had a look under the bonnet, to try and adjust the cable, but found its a hydraulic actuated clutch, running off the same system as the brakes.

Now, I don't think I'm hard on the clutch, I never ride it, or even sit in first with the clutch in and my driving has mainly been motorway. That said, I had the front disks and pads replaced at the 37k mile service, the system might have been disturbed then. I think 53k miles is a bit early for the clutch to be worn out.

Is there an adjustment on the clutch, a bit like letting the cable out a bit?

Could there be air in the clutch system that's causing the clutch not to sit back fully hard?

Any suggestions on the problem/next step/my assertion that 53k miles isn't long for a clutch?

Cheers, Cass.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm only guessing, but it could be an oil seal from the engine to the clutch. If the engine gets sump compression the oil may be coming in to the clutch and make it slip. Also too much oil can do this as when it expands it will create sump compression.

I think the clutchfluid would have to expand to make the clutch slip!! I don't think air would do it.

... sorry I don't know

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Rich Note, you've given me hope because I first noticed the problem not long after the 50k mile service. I can check the oil level and see what that is. Then if that's OK, I likeSneakyElephant's idea of doing some hard pullaways, but without the CTC or other solvent. Kind of kill or cure.
In the meantime, anything else?

Cheers, Cass.

#5 ·
Some feedback. I went out to the car and noticed a small patch of oil under the front driver's side bumper while the car was parked on a down hill slope. On the flat the oil level was OK. I undid the 3 bolts of the under tray, reached up the front of the engine and tightened the oil filter up. That was where the oil was coming from. Maybe somehow oil found its way into the clutch through the inspection gap. I'll keep you updated when I do some driving in the New Year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.