Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Looking for some advice before I take my Note along to the garage.

I have a 2010 Diesel 1.5dci and this morning whilst out driving the engine sounds really noisy almost like a tractor or lorry. I only started noticing it whilst driving behind a transit van and initially thought the noise was coming from that but when the van turned off the road I realised it was coming from my Note.

It's like the usual engine noise, knocking, but it is definitely much louder. The car still pulls okay and there aren't any warning lights but is it okay to drive until I can get to a garage next week?

I have the car serviced every year and it had the cam belt changed a couple of years ago.
The noise seems to go a lot quieter if I put it into neutral and/or ease off the accelerator.

Any ideas what it might be?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Low on oil?
Leaky injector? (sometimes putting snake oil in the fuel will fix this...)

Hole in exhaust pipe?

people usually suggest EGR valve when anything goes wrong with a diesel too.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
93 Posts
Aye, what MNL says.
If the noise has suddenly appeared, I would be thinking exhaust system has a hole or leal in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far.

It only had full oil change in January so I don't think its low oil. I had a look under the bonnet and and I'm sure its the engine. It seems to be bouncing around a lot more but that could be normal.

Is it safe to.drive until I get it to a garage next week? I wouldn't want to do any damage.

I meant to say that its done approx 80,000 miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
If the engine is bouncing, I would be suspecting a broken engine mount or perhaps a misfire/non firing cylinder.
If it's down on power and has lumpy running, that would account for a misfire. Cant really say whether it is safe to drive without seeing it but better safe than sorry. I wouldn't want to be pushing unburnt fuel throug the emmissions system or if the motor is not attached properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took car to main Dealership this morning and got a call before to say that the EGR valve needs replacing as its completely seized solid. I have given the go ahead for the work to be carried out, fingers crossed that's all it is.

·
Super Moderator
1,894 Posts
Just looked at a couple of You Tube vids, about cleaning out the EGR valve. Jaysus....full of soot, no wonder it makes a racket.Cleaned it all out, and engine ran fine. Valve was jammed up with crap and soot. One video was better than the other, but same applies. Just watch it for yourself. 1.5 Renault engine EGR valve cleaning.

One thought that was offered, was that if the soot is wet, then the oil seals on the turbo are suspect, and letting through oli.

Checkout Euro car parts.....£148, and you could have got discount.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Come on "Boysie" you could have given a link to the site
. I'll have to go and look for myself now

·
Super Moderator
1,894 Posts
You big woosy. I'll add it before you start crying.

The first in better...but the second shows how the Irish approach it, and it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCRHsns7nNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7THt__Kib1c

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Just watched the French one
, you've never seen anybody struggle and grunt like him, then starts cleaning out a bent tube with some chemical sets fire to it and starts burning his grass at the same time, this comes in three parts, and he never swore once
Well "MerseysideMorph" have you watched the clips on You-tube, How much did the dealership charge you for the same job
Please come back on this one.

Oh and well done "Boysie", even though I had to find it myself, before you posted the sites

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Garage replaced the EGR valve but told me they needed to test the injectors. They rang me to see they were all seized and need replacing too.

Apart from the car being noisier than usual it was running fine so I'm wondering why the injectors need replacing now.

Could the injectors be seized and the car still run normal?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
They can be 'gummed' (cheap fuel issue normally) beyond the point where they can be cleaned.

A car will run on three cylinders (albeit very roughly) but once one has gone it's normally wise to replace (or clean) them all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be fair I had been using supermarket pumps for my diesel and had heard that cheap fuel is bad. Will avoid them now.

If car seems to be running normal though and getting 66.1mpg, could injectors be seized as they have informed me?

Before injectors, cost for new EGR valve with fitting £600.

·
Super Moderator
1,894 Posts
What mileage has your Note done. Short or long journeys, or a mix of both.

£600 seems a bit excessive. How many hours did it take.?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mileage is just over 80,000. I use the car to commute to work daily, about 18 miles each way and only use it of a weekend for long trips.

Not sure how long it took them to replace the part but knew it would be expensive being the main stealership.

·
Super Moderator
1,894 Posts
Not sure how mechanically adept you are. It does not seem a very big job to replace it. An apprentice job, in my opinion from watching the videos on You Tube.

Too late now though, you bit the bullet.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
In the 7 years I've had the 1.5 diesel Note, I've never put in any supermarket fuel in it, and to be honest the diesel engine has never given me any bother. Must be [email protected] if they can sell it so cheap, then you get the people who say it's the same as BP or Esso use
I've always said this from the beginning, from when I joined this forum.

·
Super Moderator
1,894 Posts
silverhairs said:
In the 7 years I've had the 1.5 diesel Note, I've never put in any supermarket fuel in it, and to be honest the diesel engine has never given me any bother. Must be [email protected] if they can sell it so cheap, then you get the people who say it's the same as BP or Esso use
I've always said this from the beginning, from when I joined this forum.

I couldn't agree more. The saving of 20-30p a gallon(3.8 litres in old money), or £2-3 per tankful(in your funny money),...is it worth it. Drive 5mph more slowly, and you get that back, or drive better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts