Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally replaced my Irish dial (60K Km) with a imperial one (75K Mls!!!)<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Two things:
<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">1) Engine doesn't start!!!!
<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">2) Can I bring the milage down??? How?
<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">I'm really worried about my car now...

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">PLEASE HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Either something isn't connected or the ECU has thrown a 'wobbly'.

After checking all connections, disconnect the battery, leave for 30 minutes to 'discharge' the ECU and then reconnect and try again.

In answer to the second point, you will need to find someone who can legitimately 'clock' your car. The problem is that 'legitimate' and 'clock' are normally mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate.

I've already tried to disconnect the battery, but it doesn't work.If I put the old dial back on, after turning the key a couple of times ON and OFF, it starts.

Any ideas??? I need to get this done ASAP!!!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I've no ideas mate sorry. Some strange incompatibility between the BCM and the instruments. I think an interim must be to source a stick-on dial to at least get you legal. Sod the Km odometer for the moment until you can find a good independent to sort out the incompatibility.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Most likely the instruments are coded to the car, I know vauxhalls are.

We did advise changing just the instrument face for this reason, also as I'm sure was pointed out at the time, if the ecu detects a mileage discrepancy between clocks and ecu, the highest value is written to both, you might be lucky if it failed at the "Hello instruments, who are you" stage.

I suspect there is not a great deal that you can do apart from get someone with the Nissan diagnostic tools to recode the dash.
Usually, replacement ones are supplied uncoded, and the ecu will code them itself, and write the mileage to them at first switch on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason why I've purchased a used cluster is because I'm not confident to remove needles, but it looks like it is even worse replacing the whole thing!!!

Any idea about ecu reprogramming costs???

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Well, to reprogram the ECU for 'extra BHP' costs, on average from the three sites I have looked at, £275.00.

I wouldn't expect fault recoding and resetting to be any less.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the clocks are indeed coded to the car, and only the main dealer can recode them to you ecu/bcm

you need to put the original clocks back in

As I have said many times regarding the clocks you need to disconnect the battery first and the clocks if changed need coding, if you disconnect the clocks with the battery connected the ecu 9 times out of 10 will throw a faultEdited by: flash22

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At the end I took the risk and I decided to swap just the dials...

I was frightened in damaging the cluster removing needles, but now I can proudly say...PIECE OF CAKE!!!

:D

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Glad to know it is easy. There are a set of nice black faced dials on eBay that I might get to replace my nasty modern fake titanium faced ones, if the needles come off easily.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They do actually! You just need to use 2 tea spoons to make sure to apply the very same pulling pressure around the needle.

Piece of cake!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
That is how I did my motorcycle years ago, there were two screws securing the face that formed the perfect fulcrums for the spoons without bowing the face.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
brucewayneit said:
They do actually! You just need to use 2 tea spoons to make sure to apply the very same pulling pressure around the needle.

Piece of cake!

Hi Bruce,

Apologies for dragging this 'old' thread up. Ho much did it cost you in total, and how long did it take to fit the MPH dials, and put it all back together. Any issues with it afterwards.

I'm thinking of moving back to England next year. I have a Grandchild on the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts