Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. now winter is coming car is misting up all the time .what is best setting to combat this.my car is 2009 diesel n tech with manual heater controls plus a/c. please advise .cheers tommybr

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Run the aircon and have the heater on warm. This produces dry warm air that should help keep the windows clear.

Try not to breathe out much

·
Registered
167 Posts
tommybr. Replace the pollen filter as I did, its a simple but slightly awkward job. If the filter is blocked it will reduce airflow, believe you me mine was like a tornado afterwards and it cost about £12 to do DIY. When I took my old filter out is was black and full of dead insects and all sorts of crud and possibly never been changed.Having done the same on my Grand Picasso a few months ago I suspect that it had never been changed ever and the car is 5 years old. I'm guessing its one of those jobs that can be left as most folks would not know if its been changed or not or how to check.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yep, mnl is spot on. Set the air inlet to fresh (outside) air for best effect. The dehumidification effect of the AC system will depend on whether the AC is correctly charged (and working) of course! Most of the Kwik Fit centres are equipped for that simple check if you're unsure.

If with the AC properly operational and set as recommended the car still mists up, it may have a water leak somewhere. Wet clothing in the car won't help either! In my experience the Note's AC/ventilation system is powerful enough in all modes when working correctly. Also yes, auto climate control can be a nuisance with its pre-settings and tech equipment..... manual AC every time!!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The red settings on the air vent control knob are for demisting, that's why the aircon comes on automatically on those settings with the fan switched on. never have the air recirculation lever on internal for this as the windows will mist up super quick even more so with the aircon on.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you really want to improve the output from the A/C have the system charged up. Last year I had my son's Fiesta charged up and the air was like a blast freezer! what the guy at my local garage told me was that all manufacturers only ever put in the minimum weight of gas so that the A/ C will work at a satisfactory level. When they(local garage)service and charge the A/C thy always put in the maximum weight of gas so customers can really feel the difference.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
If I can add my 2p worth.

Please don't go to one of the 'done in 20 mins for £39.99' merchants.

The guy who does my wife's and my daughter's cars thoroughly 'hoovers out' the system and weighs the refrigerant removed. He then does a full leak test and then adds theappropriate amount of new refrigerant and lubricant. THis costs me £69 every 2 1/2 years.

He gets irritated by the the 'two blue bottles' (as seen in many independent garages) brigade although he says that this is mitigated by picking up a fair bit of work fitting new parts from badly serviced AC systems.

Anyone around west London and I will gladly pass on his details.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Entirely agree with you NigelB, as I said my son's Fiesta was done by my local garage and cost £70 inc VAT, it too had the full service. When I mentioned that I was considering using 'the bottles from Halfords' he just laughed and told me in great detail as to what a proper A/C service was about !

·
Registered
23 Posts
talk of the devil & sure he will appear..ive only picked up my 1.6 petrol 11 reg yesterday with only 5,000 miles on it & ive the same problem..i have it set at around 25 degrees,vents on windscreen..& set on blower no 4/5..its noisy & dosnt seem to do much..i was coming back from london at 10 pm last night temp gauge was reading only 6 degrees..car had 2 adults & two small kids wrapped in the back with blankets..i had to open my drivers window slightly to clear the steam..never had this issue on any vehichle before ..i may run it back to the dealer later this week..if things dont improve..it takes ages to clear the screen in the morning ..the heater is quite noisy as well ..is this a commen fault..???..loving the note though..did around 200 miles in it yesterday..harlow- basildon..to shepards bush london - harlow..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Interesting comments! The high street "fast-fit" AC service exists as a compromise solution for those reluctant to pay for a more thorough job. You get what you are prepared to pay for. The service they offer has its place in the market, and for those requiring a "quick top-up" to restore a bit of performance short-term - perhaps to sell the car on! A pro service takes much longer and usually with better results.

I see remarks about new vehicles delivered with very low refrigerant charge from the factory. This is correct and quite common. Often just the barest minimum of refrigerant to satisfy the pressure switches so the compressor will engage, but way short of performance.

For AC service the independent garage with decent equipment and diagnostics will usually deliver the result you expect but not for £40!

Re Nissan Note AC system and misting problems, our car suffers this too in really wet weather. The AC has the correct charge and components all in good order. My opinion? I suspect the ventilation system cannot deliver enough airflow - ducts too small - inadequate air vents - marginal blower power. Essentially the AC system is the same as per Renault Modus/Clio and our old Modus had the same problem. The cabin filter is new so not blocked. The intake air is set to external (not recirculated).
As I'm in the business, I'll investigate if Valeo can offer a more powerful blower. Apart from removing the cabin filter element I can't see what else could be done to improve the airflow with the standard ventilation setup. The other system components (compressor/condenser/evaporator) are well sized for the car so I'm sure it's an airflow issue.

If all this yields something useful I'll post it!

·
Registered
238 Posts
alfisto: you are correct in saying that the ventilation system has Renault connections, I've just bought a new new Bosch pollen filter and on the side of the box in big letters- 'To fit Nissan/Renault'.What I want to know is Nissan or Renault responsible for designing a filter to fit into an opening half the size of the filter?
perhaps they got their sums wrong at the design stage

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Planet 13,Yes, I think I can answer your question. I remember the first filter change I did on the first of our two previous Renault Modus and I couldn't believe the difference in size between the opening and the element! I think the reason is a serviceability one. Cabin filters must be changed with next to zero labour time as in my experience few want to pay for either the part or service time.

The heater box setup is a Valeo design originally created for Nissan Micra K12E and Clio II. As the alliance between the two VM's is so close it's hard to tell which might be responsible!
Anyway, the filter element is designed to be deformable in the vertical plane. It is partly folded diagonally during fitment, then placed in position whereby when released it regains its normal shape. This allows a filter change easily without removal of the glovebox which would increase the labour time. The element can be changed on Modus and Note with the glovebox in situ - literally a 15-20 second job. I haven't changed a filter on a Clio II or Clio III.

There are two designs of filter - Micronair (Freudenberg) or Valeo. Both are collapsible in the same way. The Valeo version is integral with the frame and cover plate (all bonded together), whereas the Micronair version has a separate element and cover plate. In my view the Micronair version is better. I'm not familiar with Bosch's aftermarket version but the quality should be good as you'd expect from Bosch.

On my Note I've currently discarded the element and refitted the cover plate. The element does trap some airborne debris and dirt but at this time I'm concentrating more on improved. I'm not yet convinced whether this is acheived but will run in this form for a while.

Does that help in any way?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the reply alfisto, I still took out the glove box as I have more time these days and I'm not so supple as I was. Any thing for an easier life!

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
If you find your Note keeps misting up, as mine did. Take out you rear parcel shelf, drop the back seats, and get a heater blower, (thermostatic type) the type you might use in you spare room. Place it on a bit of wood (so it don't heat up the carpet in front of it). Open your front two windows about 20mm (your mains cable can come through one)then turn the heater on full and leave in the car for about 2 hours. The hot air will dry the inside of the car and with the windows open, will allow the damp moist air out. Ive done this on a few of my cars and it worked every time.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Where mine kept misting up badly, I'm now having trouble with my auto wipers and lights.
When I say misting up, I had to use a micro cloth to help dry the screen, well the condensation has got into the sensor unit at the top of the screen and this has caused the sensor to malfunction. In bright sunlight turn the lights to auto and on they come, put the wipers on and they run all the time.

I've had the car into the main dealers twice about the condensation and they tell me there's nothing wrong with the aircon and no leaks or blockages, but it's still not 100%

When it goes in for it's next service, it can be looked at again, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just a thought....I haven't checked, but I assume the Note probably has rear air extraction vents in the lower boot floor area - most cars do. If so, are they blocked/covered somehow? Maybe worth a look?

I have to say, now the cold weather is really here, that the heater is pretty poor and takes too long to produce anything useful. Even after several miles there isn't much warm air and as mentioned before the airflow rate isn't impressive. Contrast to our Fiat Sedici (Suzuki SX4) which is the exact opposite with a brilliant heater/ventilation system and demists the car quite quickly just idling from cold.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts