Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I haven't completed this process yet, as it needs special service tools

Here is how it should work:

The stinkiness is caused by mould and bacteria on the cooler matrix inside the air con unit.
All you need to do is spray sanitiser into the unit. This would normally be accomplished by squirting into the recirculate inlet behind the dash, but due to Nissan's wierd design, this is before the pollen filter, and it will just get the filter soaked and ruin it.

So the filter has to come out.

This is well nigh impossible (I've taken engines out easier than this)

First get a new filter.

Second remove the 5 screws around the lip of the glove box. (The 3 at the top need a stubby screwdriver)

Wrench out the glovebox, and I mean wrench out, this baby is not designed to give up easy.

Lie under the dash. Remove the white pollen filter by using huge pliers to pull on the tab. Be careful that you don't smack yourself in the face when the clip eventually lets go. There is a release tab for your 3rd hand but I couldn't get it to work.
the filter is twice as big as the hole, so it comes out all squashed, likely it went in all crumpled up and squashed too

Now for the special tool

Get the old filter and remove all the fabric. Drill a hole in the end cover the diameter of the tube on the sanitiser spray.

Pop the cover back in the hole.

Now follow the instructions on the sanitiser, pushing the tube through the drilled hole to get the spray into the matrix.

Crumple up the new filter to fit it.

Try and replace the glove box.

After a while, realise that you can't because the grey vent thing won't engage the pipe to the face vents (this is why it took some wrenching out too)

Remove the grey vent thing, not easy.

Refit glove box.

Try and refit grey vent thing.
Try hooking first one side, then the other.
Try again.
And again

Give up, and resolve to stick duck tape over the hole later on, dropping the grey vent thing in the glove box.

When I get the new filter and actually do the sanitising, I will get the file to the glove box and make the vent thing snap in the hole

This explains why so many grey vent things are missing

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the chilled glovebox vent you need to put it at an angle push it hard to one side at the same time push up
theres any easy way to sanitise the air con - there called air con bombs one i have seen are in a can- push the button and run

the main dealer set 4 off in my car when the windscreen leaked to get shot of the smell

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used the bombs before, 2 of them make no difference, (I only bought 2, and 1 did nothing, so I used the second as well, twice nothing = nothing I suppose) you need 4 as you say, and they are not cheap, ( the instructions say one will do the job
) the foam spray does the job straight off.

Anyway, when I get a new filter, and have another go, I'll take some photos.

Explains why a dealer service is so expensive though, I reckon 20minutes to swap pollen filters.

(On the Corsa, you rip up the sealing trim back of engine, lift the flap in the plastic scuttle, reach in and change it. Took longer to type than to do, also the interior inlet was unfiltered, so just squirt into it)

Edited by: mnl

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its easy todo with it up on the ramp no need to remove the glove box either as you can get at it
all the corsa's are easy, my corsa c had the carbon filter that was £24 quid with discount (£32 = vat to joe public)

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Be grateful it's not a Mk.1 Seat Alhambra (my old car).

Open bonnet

Remove large lump of plastic from under the windscreen trim

Break clip

Go to GSF for new clip

Take out old filter

Cut hand on razor sharp plastic filter surround

Bleed, apply plaster

Attempt to fit new filter

Realise GSF supplied filter for Mk.2

Go to GSF for new filter

Push in new filter

Forget that surround is razor sharp

Cut hand on razor sharp filter surround

Bleed, apply (another) plaster

Refit large lump of plastic from under the windscreen trim.

Portions of process involving much swearing removed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts