Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife, this morning, went and started the Note and left it running to warm up and de-ice the windows.As I was very busy having a shower etc., and I was unaware of this.

I know leaving an engine idling can damage the cat converter on a petrol engine, what would be the effects on the DPF on a diesel engine

10 minutes it was idling for, according to my scalded dear one.

'How else can I get the ice off the windows'....my dearest asked.

'Use the bl**dy ice scraper provided by Nissan'.....was my reply.

Anyway.......would idling for 10 minutes, on a regular, or semi regular basis do damage to the DPF, and/or cat conv..?

Edited by: Boysie

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
it shouldnt do, i have found that glass cleaner (fast glass) sprayed on ice soon melts it and its not as harsh as deicer in a can

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flash22 said:
it shouldnt do, i have found that glass cleaner (fast glass) sprayed on ice soon melts it and its not as harsh as deicer in a can

Is that the Auto Glim stuff.?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Be careful with chemicals for de icing as most degrade the synthetic rubbers used for wipers and seals, I use a kettle full of15°c temperature water for this job and never even remotely stressed the glass in over 39 years and it's a quick method.
Edited by: mdvineng

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mdvineng said:
Be careful with chemicals for de icing as most degrade the synthetic rubbers used for wipers and seals, I use a kettle full of blood temperature water for this job and never even remotely stressed the glass in over 39 years and it's a quick method.

Yep, same here.......but usually after I've given it a bit of scrape. Pan full of warm water usually does the trick for me, but never tried it on the Note.

I also put in a good squirt of cheap hair shampoo to lower the freezing point of the water I chuck on.

I'll keep an eye on the missus next time.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
yes its the auto glym stuff, i had a can of deicer eat through a pair of jeans, the fast glass is nowhere as as bad and is plastic and rubber safe

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Boysie said:
mdvineng said:
Be careful with chemicals for de icing as most degrade the synthetic rubbers used for wipers and seals, I use a kettle full of blood temperature water for this job and never even remotely stressed the glass in over 39 years and it's a quick method.

Yep, same here.......but usually after I've given it a bit of scrape. Pan full of warm water usually does the trick for me, but never tried it on the Note.

I also put in a good squirt of cheap hair shampoo to lower the freezing point of the water I chuck on.

I'll keep an eye on the missus next time.

All that's missing now is a rubber duck an loofah

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey....you been peeking at my rubber duck

Sourcing AutoGlim in Ireland is a bit tricky, so I'll keep an eye open for next year.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
311 Posts
What about the very simple method of putting the demister on and waiting for it to clear, not only does it clear the screens but it warms the engine up and the cabin too_Ok it uses some fuel, however its better than body temp water, which I was always told not a good idea as its the shock of temp no matter how small that cracks glass, de icers are all well and good if you dont care about your cars. But if you dont have time, the answer is to get up earlier.
The amount of people that i have seen with pillar boxes to see out of from 18 wheeler trucks to numpties in porsches etc. If you get caught or seen with only a small amount to see out ofits driving without due care and attention minimum 3 points and a fixed penalty.
I just got a new copy of the Highway code and its amazing how much has changed, but also how much has stayed the same too.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Getting up earlier doesn't stop the screen freezing up.

I agree about the 'pillar boxes' in the screen, pure stupidity.

If you look at my first post, the question was, does letting the engine idle for too long, affect or damage the cat.con and/or DPF.

I have been told it can do the cat converter in, or shorten it's life.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What happens when your stuck in a traffic jam for an hour or two with the engine idling just so you can keep the heater going? I wouldn't have thought that any manufacturer would make a vehicle that was not capable of idling for long periods without causing any damage. If they did,they need to go back to the drawing board

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Obviously, by the time the car is driven some distance, the engine and components have heated up.

But starting from cold, the fuel mixture is on the 'rich' side, which is what I'm talking a bout

Unburnt fuel may enter the exhaust system if the engine is left to idle from a very cold start up.

Am I talking rubbish, or is there some validity to what I'm saying. I know I talk a load of crap sometimes.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Diesels do not run rich when cold, only petrol engines do that which is why the revs are high until the CAT warms up.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
letting a car warm up doesnt hurt infact 10% of engine wear happens when cold, so letting the fluids come up to temp (or warm up) means the engine is lubricated and had chance to circulatebefore you put any stress through the components(driving)
the cat and dfp should clear with in 5-10 mins of drivingfrom any effects of idling the cat and dpf need to come up to temp to work anyway

tbh the only issues with dpf is short runs over time as the dpf doesnt get enough time to regen

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Diesel Particulate Filter - it reduces emmisions on modern diesels so thay meet euro 5 compliance

dpf = another thing to break but it does reduce the soot and hydrocarbons

Edited by: flash22

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
greenplane said:

Diesel Particulate Filter.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/diesel-particulate-filters/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts