Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi AllJust a quickie
Is DAB worth upgrading in your ride?
The reason I ask is that I recently upgraded the oldies to DAB Portable radio, but to my regret the Radio ate Batteries faster than you could put them in. When i called the help line they just said it was never desgined to use batteries. So went back to Argos got money back after alot of wrangling!!
So Is it worth it ????

·
Registered
92 Posts
Understand that the government is going to phase out normal radio shortly so they can flog bandwidth to mobile companies which is one of the reasons why new cars often come with Dab radios as standard. You get more stations but I don't think this equals more choice as they all tend to play the same music/news etc

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you take a look at the available stations in your area and see if there are any that do not appear on FM,LW or MW then you might want to have dab, personally the ones for me would be radio 5 sports xtra.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I got a portable DAB radio 12 months or so ago. I was back at the shop for a refund 2 days later as the coverage was so abysmal I could only get about 3 or 4 stations - and that was standing at an upstairs window waving the antenna around.

If my experience is anything to go by the chances of getting decent signals while mobile anywhere outside of major populated areas is small.. and by the time that they get around to scrapping VHF/FM most of us will be no longer here anyway!!

It also annoys me the way the mobile companies are trumpeting 4G when I'm lucky to get a decent 2G signal!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I have a dab radio in the workshop 9 times out of ten it gets switched to FM a lot of dab stations are actually lower quality audiothan FM at around 32 -56kbps where as cd audio is 192kbps
Dab needs a decent aerial, imho its 10+ years off being mainstream in cars, Dab 2 is the latest standard so things are going to be moving forward in the next few year

take Ofcom's dates with a pinch of salt there usually 5-7 years out

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
My daughter has a Sony DAB head unit in her Seat with one of those 'tin foil, stick up the side of the windscreen aerials'. So far she reports that she has not lost station or had poor receptiontravelling from London into rural west Wales and down to Westward Ho!

One thing that does 'irk' her is the need to get it to re-scan when you move into a low signal area. it only takes a couple of minutes but she thinks it should be done automatically, kids eh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coolbusby said:
Understand that the government is going to phase out normal radio shortly so they can flog bandwidth to mobile companies which is one of the reasons why new cars often come with Dab radios as standard. You get more stations but I don't think this equals more choice as they all tend to play the same music/news etc

I'm sorry but you are wrong on several points.

The Government has announced that it wants to switch off FM but only when certain criteria have been met. The reason why they want to do this has nothing to do with selling the FM bandwidth to mobile companies (they can't use it..wrong frequencies etc). The real reason is that the commercial radio boys are losing money because they are having to transmit on both DAB and FM. So they are lobbying the Govt hard so that they (the commercial boys) can make more profit. The fact that if this happens millions and millions of FM radio owners in the UK (in the home and in the car) wil be forced to go out and waste their money buying something that they simply do not want.

More information here www.ten-myths-of-dab.co.uk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts