Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals

I have a 2015 Note and the radio is Am/FM. I want to install a DAB radio and use the existing radio/sat nav screen that comes with the car. I read somewhere that this can be done via the usb port but it needs the removal of the side pillar to install the aerial that comes with the kit. The aerial is an attach to windscreen type.

Has anyone done this and if so, how did you remove the side pillar and did you encounter any problems?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The side pillar trim just wrenches off if you use some of those plastic trim tools, there are a couple of those plastic springy pegs on the back- IIRC the door seal rubber has to pull off first. The dash top levers up as well.

I don't know of an adaptor to add DAB to the Bosch LCN, I'd have thought the Connect 2 came with DAB. Most people use the adaptors that have either an FM modulator that you tune to, or connect via an aux port, but these have their own display.

If you haven't tried DAB in a car, don't bother, unless you live and drive in just the right places reception is dire. My Bosch LCN in my Suzuki has DAB, and it is utterly useless, except if I am parked, and then I might need to nudge the car back or forwards a few feet to get it to work.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
You can go on to a site, type in your post code and it will tell you what DAB stations you can or should be able to receive.
You can go 5 miles down the road in your car and you've lost the signal.
I have a DAB radio indoors, it's great in the front of the house, but cannot receive a signal at the back of the house. So at the back of the house I use the Virgin (TV) to tune into the radio programme I want.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I've been looking for a longer bee-sting aerial for the Suzuki, they are usually some special length to work best, so I'd have thought one twice as long would be available, but I can't find one. Plenty of shorter ones about, but I reckon more length = more signal.

When it does work DAB doesn't sound any better than FM- most times it is worse. There are more interesting stations on DAB I suppose....

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Longer doesn't always mean better :grin:. going back to my CB days, you had to tune your Ariel into your receiver, I think it was with a SWAR meter, thought it's that long ago, memory fades, a bit like DAB :wink: .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you haven't tried DAB in a car, don't bother, unless you live and drive in just the right places reception is dire. My Bosch LCN in my Suzuki has DAB, and it is utterly useless, except if I am parked, and then I might need to nudge the car back or forwards a few feet to get it to work.
Well I didn't know that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Nissan dealer fitted a DAB converter into my note. It worked for about 6 months.
Previously I used an old Pure Highway that was plugged into the cigarette lighter and had a roof mounted aerial.
I now drive a Vitara and the built in DAB is very good indeed.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It depends on where you are. I had it working for 30 or 40 miles along the M1 once, but I can't get to the bottom of my street without the signal dropping out. I keep trying it, as it cost me a fortune (came with the expensive "super deluxe with knobs on" trim spec- I wanted "poverty", but they don't do a poverty spec auto.)

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
A decent DAB installation will work well. The DAB in my current motor doesn't miss a beat in areas ranging from London to VERY rural west Wales.

The antenna is crucial and many use a powered antenna which, of course, you will not get with a plug-in adaptor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, you people are awesome. What I get from this is that different people get different results. I'm interested in the powered aerial, so I'll look into this before I go any further. To be honest, I just want BBC 5 Live Sports Extra but I'm not gonna spend too much for an indulgence.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Hi "grandadjohn"
As I said, look on the internet and find out which DAB programmes you can get in your area, they are very selective where they broadcast.
go on the site, put in your post code and a list of programmes will list for your area. BBC 5 live sports extra might not be available for you.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Hi "Grandadjohn" did you find out if you could receive "BBC 5 live sports" in your area? and are you going down that road and fitting a DAB receiver?

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Reading one of my car mags this week and they were testing a new motor (cannot remember which one as gave the mag to a mate), but in there they were testing a brand new motor and that had DAB and it kept dropping out of tune in certain area's and then returning a 1/4 of a mile down the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks guys, you people are awesome. What I get from this is that different people get different results. I'm interested in the powered aerial, so I'll look into this before I go any further. To be honest, I just want BBC 5 Live Sports Extra but I'm not gonna spend too much for an indulgence.
Out of intrest have you considered using the bbc sounds app and playing it thro the connect? it uses very little data and ive found it works far better then a dab radio.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts