Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I just bought a note 2006 and am not sure whether its a CVT or normal automatic. Anyways that apart, I hear people say that CVT makes the note weak and have a slow pick up speed and drags on climbing lanes. Is this true? If so what are the pros and CONS of CVT? And how would I know that my note has CVT transmission? Still waiting for it to arrive in a month or so...

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
It's (thankfully) a normal torque converter automatic.

CVT can be great but the implementation (design) is critical and the Nissan one is, at the moment, poor and not as good as those fitted to DAFs in the 60's and 7o's

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
cvt's have come a long way but arnt quite there yet they can get a bit tiresome in traffic (there is very little creep compared to a proper auto)

the current note has a proper auto box, as yours is a jdm car will be a proper auto box on the 1.5 petrol engine, also as its a jdm car it should have a foot parking brake where the clutch would be, uk an eu cars have a proper handbrake

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Japanese Domestic Market

Incidentally there was absolutely no creep on the Daf CVT as the engine tickover RPM was 1000-1100 but the primary clutches didn't engage until 1400 RPM (assuming that the springs hadn't gone 'slack').

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
jdm 2wd cars didn't get the xtronic (cvt) until 2008 when the facelift was released in japan (E11E)

There are 2 other note models a 4x4 2wd with electric motor in the back (NE11E)what is auto only

(ZE11E) what is 2008 on, 2wd, manual only

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Midasi1 said:
My Micra (02 plate) with CVT always crept !
Thay do a little bit but only on flat ground, the 62 plate micra 1.2 I had, had a very low idle (euro 5 emissions) and that wouldn't move unless you bliped the throttle

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
flash22 said:
jdm 2wd cars didn't get the xtronic (cvt) until 2008 when the facelift was released in japan (E11E)

There are 2 other note models a 4x4 2wd with electric motor in the back (NE11E)what is auto only

(ZE11E) what is 2008 on, 2wd, manual only
Ellie, Nellie and Zellie...sounds like a family reunion...

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
GeorgeP56 said:
flash22 said:
... a 4x4 2wd ... 

Isn't that a bit of an oxy-moron-thingy? 
It is a bit, it's more a all wheel drive, 2wd petrol and 2wd electric I suppose it could be classed as a hybrid

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I've been doing some more digging and it seems that there are non jap and eu/uk built notes with a cvt from around the middle of 2005 these cars seem ultra rare and maybe for the Malaysian market ? I can't find much info on them apart from parts (epc) information

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife has a (jap import) 2005 nissan note (petrol/unleaded), it's done 85 000 km... and have recently just been advised by our local mechanic and another mechanic from the automobile association to sell the car as the CVT gearboxes all pack up around 100, 000 kms, the AA mechanic said you can expect to pay around $4,500.00 to repair them and even then, you will only get another 30,00ks before you have to do it again, we really like the car and are quite shocked to discover this news, so wondering how accurate is this advice?... i looked everywhere through the n.n.o.c. forums and can't see anyone else discussing this issue? ...hoping someone can help? thanks

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Just run it 'till it breaks, then get another with lower miles.
You won't get much for a car with only a few thousand km left in it.

Modern autos are much more lightly built than they used to be, and change gear more often, so they wear out quicker. CVTs wear faster still, although they normally last out the guarantee period

If you want to get high mileages, it has to be a manual transmission

You could try getting the transmission fluid changed, Nissan were forced to guarantee the cvt Maxima for 160,000 km and they will just about make it with a fluid change at 100,000 apparently, they fail at 140,000 without.

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks a lot for your opinion, sort of supports what the mechanics here are saying though... in N.Z., Notes with a similar mileage to ours are still selling for approx $7000, for around $11000 you can pick up a Note (2009-2010) with approx 30,000 ks on the clock. so if your doing around 25000 ks a year then your only going to get 3 years before the gearbox packs up... ouch!!!
...oh yes, what type of transmission fluid is recommended for the Note, as the mechanic also said; they take a special type of oil fluid?

I would've thought that with todays technology they would've been able to get better k's from the cvt transmission, i had a 97 nissan avenir station wagon 1.8 auto(176000 ks) and only replaced the oil fluid / kit once in 13 years of owning it, and was still running perfectly at the time i traded it in, so of course found it quite a hard pill to swallow when told the the nissan note gearboxes all seem to pack up around only 100,000 kms... now thinking are we actually better off with todays auto technology or should we try to get the designers to take a harder look at how they used to get it right but for what ever reason can't replicate the same quality control in today's manufacturing design processes? ...anyway, thanks member mnl for taking the time to give us some support on this issue, most helpful indeed

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you work to your figures, sell it now for $7000, add $3000 and get 2 years out of the replacement, then sell that for $7000.

Looks like you would lose $1500 a year, your other option is have it break in 1 year, pay $4500 to fix it and get another year out of it, losing $2250 a year.

Seems a lot of money to throw away to me though, I'd rather get a car with a more reliable old fashioned transmission, and put the $1500 a year into fuel. (Less economical cars are generally cheaper to buy as well)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good call, i think the latter makes the most sense, now to convince the wife with this perspective, that's going to be the biggy, as she luv's her Note... wonder what the new 2013 Note models are going to be like, you heard/seen any reviews regarding their transmissions? ...thanks again

Edited by: dickgoodbody

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the new jdm note has been around a year now the euro/uk cars are/will bea different spec an have a altered bumpers and body,there are plenty of vids on Youtube the new 2013note has the x-tronic cvt with the 1.2 3 cylinder supercharged engine the cvt it supposed to be a lot better than the old type but I still don't like them as there still nowhere near refined enough having driven a 1.2 cvt in a late 2012 micra
you should be able to fine a proper auto jdm car 2005-2012

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, thanks flash22, sorry, not familiar with the term: "jdm" ? ...we only appear to have the cvt here in n.z., be great if they did a normal transmission as looks like this would resolve the short life issue

Edited by: dickgoodbody

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.