Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking into making my own audio crossover for the car, and am just wondering what would be needed. Although I have upgraded my speakers, and with it came a resistor for the tweeters, is that the same thing? Or should i use the cables that were for the original tweeters? Little bit confused if i should build my own or leave as is. Cos apparently a crossover will give better sound quality as itactuallysplits thefrequencies??

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Maplin sell crossovers.

You need loads of data on the speakers and the cabinet to use them properly though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm :/ so what are the resistors that came with the speakers? is that to filter out the lower frequencies for the tweeters?? and the old tweeter connections, are they exactly the same as the resistor cables that came with the speakers?(sorry if not explaining well)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
if you running 2-way comps thay should come with a crossover or an inline pack what contains a low end filter a series of caps and resistors you should feed these from one point only oem tweeters have a cap acroff the speaker this cuts the low freq
if you have fitted just fitted coaxials you have taken a step backwards, car speakers are designed as free to air ie. not needing a calulated enclosure (subs need a enclosure but you can now get free air subs)

still got to fit my rainbow slx's

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the front speakers i have are thehttp://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_723495_langId_-1_categoryId_265870the rear ones are:http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_768525_langId_-1_categoryId_265870

so i know the rear ones have integrated tweeters (not fussed about them too much, cant do anything about it). But the front ones only had a cable that had a resistor in it that connected to the tweeters from the mids. is that the crossover or inline pack?

And they are expensive. hell of a lot more than i wanted to pay xD. i only got my stereo cos it was on offer (£120 instead of £200)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its just a inline cap/resistor to cut the low signals to the tweeter, a proper crossover uses coils but basically does the same thing
i was into my audio a few years back sq (sound quailty) side of things, there are peope out there who put 10k into there audio systems but i wasnt that mad

i had mainly alpine gear pdx amps, alpine imprint processor, rainbow slx deluxe's in the front, alpines type s in the rear run off the stereo and a alpine type r 12" sub in the boot

now my car isout of warranty, i have a audiocontrol lc6i processor what will level the audio from the connect sat nav into a alpine amp running the fronts (rainbows) and maybe a sub thats something for the spring when it warms up as i want to sound deaden the doors and boot too maybe a small sub in the front

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts