Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening, just after some advice. Apologies for the long post. In January 2021 I was advised at my MOT and Service that the plug in the sump was cross threaded and the garage weren't happy at the potential of a leak etc. So I agreed to a new Sump (£360!), 10 weeks later I have an oil leak - took it back to the garage and they have said there was a mark on the Sump gasket so they would change that under warranty.
When I went to collect the vehicle I was told that they actually saw a weep on the crankshaft gasket and that they now believe that is where the leak is from and that they would recommend the crankshaft gasket and clutch to be changed?? But when I asked them to show me, I have been advised that you cannot see the gasket but the part of the sump gasket has a small release hole where the oil would drain from the crankshaft.
I'm not convinced of anything they say to be honest. Is there any chance at all the crankshaft gasket could have been damaged whilst they replaced the sump, as I never had a leak until they changed the sump?
Also the cross threads on the original sump could only have been caused at that garage as it was there the year before for MOT and service too.
My car is a 1.5 DCI Note 2012.
Thank you for any advice

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have been advised that you cannot see the gasket but the part of the sump gasket has a small release hole where the oil would drain from the crankshaft.
That's the part that sounds dodgy to me.
As i'm aware the crankshaft has it's own oil seal to keep oil IN, not let it weep out through a hole in the sump gasket. And from doing cars years ago, i seem to remember that the crankshaft oil seal cannot be damaged by replacing the sump gasket as the crank oil seal can only be got at by removing the gearbox, clutch assembly and flywheel.
I could be off the mark though as newer engines are different in design to older ones, if i am then someone on here will let you know.
I would find a good local independant garage and steer clear of the larger ones.
It all sounds like the garage think they have a good money making opportunity to me.

·
Registered
868 Posts
This appears to be shoddy work from a cowboy outfit. I'd do as Sineu says and find a better garage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the part that sounds dodgy to me.
As i'm aware the crankshaft has it's own oil seal to keep oil IN, not let it weep out through a hole in the sump gasket. And from doing cars years ago, i seem to remember that the crankshaft oil seal cannot be damaged by replacing the sump gasket as the crank oil seal can only be got at by removing the gearbox, clutch assembly and flywheel.
I could be off the mark though as newer engines are different in design to older ones, if i am then someone on here will let you know.
I would find a good local independant garage and steer clear of the larger ones.
It all sounds like the garage think they have a good money making opportunity to me.
Thank you, appreciate your reply. It was a large national garage (I know I should have known better), I'll take it to a small independent garage and have them look at it. I was just concerned that they may have damaged something whilst replacing the sump, as I'm 100% sure they were the ones who caused the issue with that in the first place.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2014 E12 DIG-S Manual
62 Posts
Just reading makes me feel angry. If I were you, I would fight til death to get them fix all issues at their cost (or at least share the cost), including that sump pan.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When I went to collect the vehicle I was told that they actually saw a weep on the crankshaft gasket and that they now believe that is where the leak is from and that they would recommend the crankshaft gasket and clutch to be changed??
No such thing as a crankshaft gasket on any car.

What all cars have is crankshaft oil seals, one at the front (timing belt end) and one at the rear (clutch end). If the front one leaks you would notice a drip on the flor at that end of the sump and it will contaminate the cam belt. When its replaced the cam belt needs doing as a precaution.

When the one at the rear leaks it inevitably contaminates the clutch and that needs changing whilst its apart.

Changing them on some engines is simple enough, (but the gearbox needs dropping) on others its take engine out and a full strip.

You need to take it to a trustworthy garage to get a proper diagnosis, or have you misunderstood what they have said?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No such thing as a crankshaft gasket on any car.

What all cars have is crankshaft oil seals, one at the front (timing belt end) and one at the rear (clutch end). If the front one leaks you would notice a drip on the flor at that end of the sump and it will contaminate the cam belt. When its replaced the cam belt needs doing as a precaution.

When the one at the rear leaks it inevitably contaminates the clutch and that needs changing whilst its apart.

Changing them on some engines is simple enough, (but the gearbox needs dropping) on others its take engine out and a full strip.

You need to take it to a trustworthy garage to get a proper diagnosis, or have you misunderstood what they have said?
Thank you for your reply. Both my husband and I were under the car at the garage and the manager showed us the sump and the gasket around the sump. Looking at the sump (facing towards the front of the car) he showed us the little 'indent' to the left which he said was an outlet for oil if it was coming from the crankshaft gasket. Definitely not mistaken, he actually said there was over 30-40 gaskets within the engine! I don't trust them at all, but am now concerned they have made the issue in the first place. I'm going to ring him tomorrow and ask for a report on their findings - at this stage I'm still playing nice, but rattled beyond belief.
I'm also going to pop it to a local independent garage and ask them for their thoughts. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
As Dig-s stated, there is not a crank shaft gasket, it has oil seals, usually made of rubber or polypropylene and metal and circular in shape.
A gasket is a totally different item made in various shapes and sizes to fit the part of the engine it's designed to seal.
As for 30-40 gaskets in an engine -- Sounds like rather a lot to me, unless it's a train engine !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As Dig-s stated, there is not a crank shaft gasket, it has oil seals, usually made of rubber or polypropylene and metal and circular in shape.
A gasket is a totally different item made in various shapes and sizes to fit the part of the engine it's designed to seal.
As for 30-40 gaskets in an engine -- Sounds like rather a lot to me, unless it's a train engine !
I honestly think they see a female and think 'cher-ching', I'm by no means a mechanic but I'm not giving up without a fight! This is where I miss my Dad who was a mechanic!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. And no not a train engine 🤣 - I might ask him to name the location of them all tomorrow when I ring!

·
Registered
178 Posts
As for 30-40 gaskets in an engine
Don't think so.They all differ an I have never looked at the insides of a 1.5 Nissan Diesel so have no actual true idea. But on a typical engine there are probably about 10 max then add in a few for fitting inlets, exhausts etc.
The bloke is having a laugh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have taken the car back to the original garage today as they wanted to see if it was still leaking. I have taken a photo (ok not great). Any ideas from this?
The oil appears to be coming from the small hole where I have put a white ring around. Apparently the sump gasket should have this in it?
Going to take it to another garage tomorrow, but don't want them to change the crankshaft gasket/seal and it not very that. Absolutely fed up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The area you have circled appears to be the joint between the sump and the bellhousing. There is normally no gasket in there, its not needed, there should be no oil in there.

If oil is leaking out there are only 3 sources, the rear crank oil seal, the front gearbox oil seal or if its an hydraulic clutch from the clutch cylinder. Any mechanic with a finger and a nose should be able to tell the difference form smell and feel.

If I am correct its highly likely that the clutch has been contaminated by gearbox or engine oil and its life will be limited. Whilst its apart having the oil seal done get the clutch changed as well, it will be time limited and cost little more to sort whilst its apart. If you are lucky it could be the clutch cylinder but our Nissan which had a clutch cylinder failure the cylinder outside the bellhousing, easy and cheap fix and visible to a muppet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts