Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 E12 with 1.2L/Manual transmission. I am trying to demystify something that I do not understand regarding the back-up lights on this vehicle.

On my particular car the right-hand side tail-light assembly has a clear lens for the back-up light:

On the left-hand side it is translucent red (i.e. slightly lighter in color than the regular brake light lens, but not transparent):

The left-hand side does NOT illuminate when the car is in reverse, but the right hand side does. Is this expected?

I have checked bulbs and measured continuity between the connector where it attaches to the wiring harness and the bulb itself. No problem there. I also have a digital copy of the service manual and have been trying to troubleshoot/understand the situation from that angle.

The E12 manual says that the colors of the wires that are on the REAR COMBINATION LH and REAR COMBINATION RH connector corresponding to the back-up light should be, as I understand it, BLACK and YELLOW on the harness side.

What I see when I look at my car is that the RH connector is yellow on terminal 3. On the LH connector the connector is PURPLE.

What is going on here? Is my manual incorrect? Is it possibly the case that only my RH back-up lamp is the only one that is supposed to illuminate, and hence that's the explanation behind the differing color lenses? If the left hand side is not meant to illuminate, it is really strange that there would be a bulb in there?

Please help! I am dumbfounded.

LH connector per manual:

RH connector per manual:

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Welcome to Nissan cost-cutting.

The situation would be reversed on an RHD car but essentially it's one reversing lamp with the other side being the rear 'fog' light for inclement weather.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to Nissan cost-cutting.

The situation would be reversed on an RHD car but essentially it's one reversing lamp with the other side being the rear 'fog' light for inclement weather.
Why the actual f- would the service manual(s) not reflect this, though?

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's not just Nissan but Nigel is correct, one reverse light and one fog lamp.
I would prefer two of each, but the rear clusters are not huge.
I've seen many other manufacturers cars with a similar layout, particularly on smaller cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not just Nissan but Nigel is correct, one reverse light and one fog lamp.
I have another REALLY asinine question. What exactly is a "fog" lamp anyway? Those two lights underneath the main front headlights? I could only get them to turn on when the headlight selector switch on the steering column was totally set to OFF.

What kind of "fog" are they supposed to help you see? And how do you turn off all of the lights? Couldn't figure this out either, maybe a safety thing?

Regarding the single rear "fog" light, I could only get it to engage after turning the main headlights on, then rotating that secondary switch. My instrument panel showed what looks like a 'defroster' symbol on my headlights. And the only perceptible difference is that one rear light is on. How is this useful?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It does show in my manual...
Can you attach a photo? My Swedish owners manual doesn't seem to reflect this, or maybe it was in a section I hadn't found.

EDIT: The owners manual doesn't seem to reflect it. My service manual (bought on eBay as a digital download sometime ago) doesn't make any reference to this arrangement, either.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Can you attach a photo? My Swedish owners manual doesn't seem to reflect this, or maybe it was in a section I hadn't found.

EDIT: The owners manual doesn't seem to reflect it. My service manual (bought on eBay as a digital download sometime ago) doesn't make any reference to this arrangement, either.
It is clearly shown in chapter 2 (instruments and controls) and it's on page 22 with wording and pictures.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The front fog lights are the two below the bumper.
It should only be possible to turn them on when the headlights are on,they are low down as they are supposed to project the light below the level of the fog.If you drive in fog anytime turn your hedlights to high beam for a second or two and you wont see very far at all,with the fog lights on you can see better as the light is "under" the fog layer and not shining into it.The rear fog light is purely for drivers behind you so they see your light earlier than the standard tail lights,which are not very bright.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It should only be possible to turn them on when the headlights are on,they are low down as they are supposed to project the light below the level of the fog.If you drive in fog anytime turn your hedlights to high beam for a second or two and you wont see very far at all,with the fog lights on you can see better as the light is "under" the fog layer and not shining into it.The rear fog light is purely for drivers behind you so they see your light earlier than the standard tail lights,which are not very bright.
The thing I cannot manage to do is turn on my front fog lights, while the main lights are on. When I turn the selector on the stalk the single rear fog light lights up (on the driver's side), but not the fronts.

I can only seem to get them to light up by, rather oddly, turning all the other lights OFF. To confuse matters more, the manual suggests "Instrument light for front fog lights (option)":

The fact that it says option in parentheses suggests (to me, anyway) that you wouldn't see this on cars without front fog lights (i.e. the front fog lights are themselves the option.)

But my car has them, but does not have that light on the instrument panel. Either that or I have no f-ing idea what fog lights are. I'm going to go outside to take some more photos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here are my front fog lights (assuming these are actually fog lights?)

Could they be some kind of "daytime running lights"?

Despite what the manual says about fog lights, these ONLY illuminate when all other lights are off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like when I search for replacement parts (just trying to find other ways to explain this to myself), that they advertise these as dimljus / varselljus (fog lights / daytime running lights) -- Example link from auto recycler here in Sweden.

This suggests that in my market these lights may be considered "daytime running lights".

It also sort of explains why I cannot turn them on any other way, and they only illuminate when everything else is off.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yes Peter, you have day running lights within the same lamp as the front fog lights.
So drls will light with all others turned off. And the fogs will only switch on with dipped main beams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yes Peter, you have day running lights within the same lamp as the front fog lights.
So drls will light with all others turned off. And the fogs will only switch on with dipped main beams.
As I said -- I cannot get them to turn on at all except when everything else is off.

When I turn on the (single) rear fog lamp, the front DRLs (or fog lamps, whatever we want to call them) don't illuminate.

It could be that this is not a permitted lighting combination here, now that I think of it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
They are seperate bulbs. DRLs are 20watts and fog bulbs are more like 55watts.
If you shine a strong torch into the lens you'll see two bulbs within the same housing.
So, either the fog bulbs are missing.
Or the fog lamp fuse has blown, or there are no fogs in your country's car market requirements... (hard to believe)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are seperate bulbs. DRLs are 20watts and fog bulbs are more like 55watts.
If you shine a strong torch into the lens you'll see two bulbs within the same housing.
So, either the fog bulbs are missing.
Or the fog lamp fuse has blown, or there are no fogs in your country's car market requirements... (hard to believe)
Upon further reflection/investigation, fog lamps in conjunction with either high-beams or low-beams are not a permitted combination according to our traffic authority. Based on the owner's manual I see no way you could turn on ONLY the foglamps.

Given this -- it could in fact be that this is the case, i.e. they are simply not a permitted option here.

Notwithstanding, still a pity that the owner's manual is so poorly written (or perhaps poorly translated).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts