Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure I am not alone with my Nissan Note suffers from misting up and yes when I put the fan and the temperature control on the windscreen settings it automatically turns the aircon on and clears it away reasonably quickly.

When I got in the car yesterday the windscreen wasn't just misted up it was saturated with condensation and I had to mop it up before the above could deal with it.

My friend has a Nissan note and he said his is also terrible too.

He has just sent off for this silica gel filled bag and mop:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HOME-DEHUMIDIFIER-MOISTURE-ABSORBER-EATER/dp/B009M93THQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357234278&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windshield-Wonder-Makes-Cleaning-Windhshields/dp/B0030DQG52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357234442&sr=8-1

I will let you know if they do the trick for him and may get them myself.

I have had many cars over the years but none have suffered with such condensation.

Your thoughts, comments and suggestions please !

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Aldi were selling bags of sillica gel, that you microwave to dry them out.

The one I have in the note saturates in about 30 seconds.
and I can't be bothered microwaving it every day.

I think it is just a combination of extremely damp weather and a totally ineffectual heater
so it never really warms up inside.

Don't have this trouble with The Other Car, but then again the heater actually heats ...........

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you are experiencing extreme condensation you may have a problem with the heater matrix leaking. I had a Vauxhall Carlton in '90s' with the same problem, the condensation was so bad that no amount of ventilation would clear it. Informed by the garage that it was a common problem on Carlton's and a new matrix would fix the problem.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi all Another way to stop this from happening is not only to have the silica gel bags in the centre console, but when you park you car up at night dont leave the aircon switch turned to the on position and make sure all vents are shut.
this normally stops this occuring too
Hope you have all had a good and excessive Christmas and New year, and probably like me have to shed some pounds too
Mike

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
What is worrying me is that this is Yet Another Thing that irritates me about the note.
My Yet Another Thing That Irritates Me list is now far longer than my Things I like About the Note list.

I find myself using The Other Car more often. I think that I should just take the hit on the loss of money and swap it on something else.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Guys'n'gals, <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I brought these at the start of the autumn

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thomar-604100-Dehumidifier-ThoMar-AirDry/dp/B002OC2REY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357300560&sr=8-1

Good thing is that there are two packs so when one needs drying out you can just change it over!
In use now for approx 3 months not had to dry/change over yet and much improved re condensation!-German know how for you!
When car parked up I place on front area above steering wheel.
The only thing is now driving about surrounded by Japanese/German technology I keep getting the urge to invade <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">Poland</st1:country-region> and /or bomb <st1:place w:st="on">Pearl Harbour</st1:place>!!
Regards Spartacus1961

PS as John Cleese would say "don't mention the war"

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
dont forget theres a fix for the excess condensation its a big foam strip thats glues to the roof theres a thread lurking somewhere
Leaving the the heater/air con on fresh air instead of re-circ helps

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont know what we are doing right but our Note never has any condensation in the mornings
We keep it outside and use mainly with air con
We don't bother shutting any vents or using silica gel etc and I don't think you should expect to with a modern car
Possibly leaving wet things in the car, such as umbrellas or dog blankets might cause condensation but I usually leave my brolly on the back seat to dry out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for such excellent replies.

The excessive condensation is present and visible before I even get in the car or start the engine/run the fan.

Once the engine has warmed up my heater produces plenty of hot air (bit like me really) and with the aircon on clears it away nicely.

Planet13 mentioned a faulty heater matrix, bearing in mind my heater seems to be working fine, would that eliminate a faulty heater matrix ?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Possibly not if it has sprung a minor leak, it only takes a tiny amount of water to create a shedload of condensation.
However another thought occurs.

Check the footwells for any sign of dampness.

I had a kink, due to an apprently (common) loose clip, in the condense overflow pipe from my AC which I only noticed when driving in sandals and water dripped onto my foot!

·
Registered
238 Posts
A faulty heater matrix would only cause a problem if the the engine was running,as you seem to have condensation before you get into the car you may have a problem with water ingress.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Stupidly, the condense pipe is routed through the inside of the car until it runs to free air and drains outside. If the clips (behind RHS of the centre console at footwell level) are kinked the pipe has nothing to do with the water but dump it in the car. Really poor design I'm afraid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello there everyone. "Zundapp" I have a problem with water leaking into the rear of the car either through the light cluster seal or top body panel join(?) Went on holiday abroad for a couple of weeks before Christmas, car was left on drive during all that torrential rain. Found a pool of water in the wheel well and the felt under the L/H side cover was soaking wet. This caused the same problem with heavy condensation on the front windscreen but not on the vertical side windows. The Nissan workshop guys couldn't find any obvious leak and said maybe it was a "one off" as they had no previous knowledge of any other customers cars with the same problem(anyone know otherwise?) I still have the problem, so will have to take it back to the garage for further investigation. Just have a look and see if it could be that?
It's not rained for a couple of days(!!!) so I will be out there with the watering can shortly to see if any watergets in after a simulated weeks worth of downpour!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
(Lack of) sealant around the high level brake light would be the first place that I would check.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nigel B, thanks for reminding me of something I forgot ...

When my friend got his NOTE, he found water leaking into the rear of his car - just like NoteableOne has got.

He took it to Glyn Hopkins the Nissan Dealer in Bishops Stortford who sorted it out for him.

They said it was a matter of replacing seals etc and was well know to Nissan who sanctioned the work under warranty.

·
Registered
455 Posts
NoteableOne said:
Hello there everyone. "Zundapp" I have a problem with water leaking into the rear of the car either through the light cluster seal or top body panel join(?) Went on holiday abroad for a couple of weeks before Christmas, car was left on drive during all that torrential rain. Found a pool of water in the wheel well and the felt under the L/H side cover was soaking wet. This caused the same problem with heavy condensation on the front windscreen but not on the vertical side windows. The Nissan workshop guys couldn't find any obvious leak and said maybe it was a "one off" as they had no previous knowledge of any other customers cars with the same problem(anyone know otherwise?) I still have the problem, so will have to take it back to the garage for further investigation. Just have a look and see if it could be that?
It's not rained for a couple of days(!!!) so I will be out there with the watering can shortly to see if any watergets in after a simulated weeks worth of downpour!

Mine went in t Nissan for its first MOT last month.
After picking the car up the following morning the windscreen was full of condensation.
Because they had cleaned the car for me inside and out, FOC, I was thinking that they had cleaned the windscreen with something that was making it wet.
Cleaned the window and the same thing the following morning.
This has never happened before and I have had the car for 18 months. Still thinking it must be something Nissan had done.
Well I'm back to work and the car is running back to doing 50 miles per day.
Still wet

So after reading this thread, I got the boot open and in the spare wheel well I had around 10mm of water.
Under the boot carpet board it was also very wet on the left hand side. Dry on the top, just wet on the inside.

I'm going to check the light seals after lunch.

No signs of how it is getting in.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Yellow food colouring is your friend.
Add a few drops to a jug of water and pour slowly over 'suspect' areas. It shows up well and any that gets onto uphoslery and carpets will wash of with soap and water.

Do not use red colouring which, from experience, is a sod to get off.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts