Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Note 2009 dci86 owner on a budget
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
As the temps in the uk have suddenly dropped to near zero, i was wondering whats the best way to protect my notes battery, is there anything in covering the bonnet area with a thick blanket? or is really the only way to have your note connected to a charger overnight to keep the battery fully charged

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If you drive the car daily for a few miles there should be no issues with the battery going flat unless it's on it's way to failure already.
Normal running each day is enough to keep the battery topped up with "juice", i have never had an issue in winter with the battery dying on me even in the big snowfall of 2010 that we had.
BTW - I see no advantage of putting a blanket over the bonnet of your car, it's not heat that keeps a battery alive, it's a regular drive and a charge from the alternator.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you drive the car daily for a few miles there should be no issues with the battery going flat unless it's on it's way to failure already.
Normal running each day is enough to keep the battery topped up with "juice", i have never had an issue in winter with the battery dying on me even in the big snowfall of 2010 that we had.
BTW - I see no advantage of putting a blanket over the bonnet of your car, it's not heat that keeps a battery alive, it's a regular drive and a charge from the alternator.
Cheers for that, must be an old wives tale about covering the bonnet , cause you used to see people doing it , the cars battery is fine, i just remember an rac guy telling me once that even with a 100% healthy battery a cold snap/spell/frost will take a good 50% out of a battery

Cheers

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
A cold spell will take some charge out of a batery, but i doubt it would be 50%.An example is that my sister's car was off the road for the whole winter two years ago, she didn't get around to having it fixed until mid spring the following year. She got into it turned the key and it fired up first time for her to drive it around the corner to a local garage. She had never started the car before that day as some had advised her to do to keep the battery topped up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cheers for that, must be an old wives tale about covering the bonnet , cause you used to see people doing it , the cars battery is fine, i just remember an rac guy telling me once that even with a 100% healthy battery a cold snap/spell/frost will take a good 50% out of a battery

Cheers
Back in the 70's it was common to place a blanket over the engine (not the bonnet) at night but that was more to do with preventing damp forming than protecting the battery.

A healthy battery is a 12.7 volts when charged. Less than about 12.4 volts its going to struggle to start the car. If that happens after a short period the battery is knackered anyway so replace it.

Whoever told you a cold snap will take 50% out of a battery is an idiot. a 50% charged battery is a door stop and will never recover

With one of our cars getting less use due to lockdown and stop/start getting a bit flaky our local dealer advised getting a battery conditioner and quite by coincidence they sold one. Its called the Ring RSC404 Intelligent Battery Charger and they wanted £45. When I got home I did a bit of research and it came with good reviews but I found it for sale on ebay for just over £20. Bought one and I use it once a month for about 12 hours. Its item number 223724555248 and will be far better than any old cover on the bonnet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back in the 70's it was common to place a blanket over the engine (not the bonnet) at night but that was more to do with preventing damp forming than protecting the battery.

A healthy battery is a 12.7 volts when charged. Less than about 12.4 volts its going to struggle to start the car. If that happens after a short period the battery is knackered anyway so replace it.

Whoever told you a cold snap will take 50% out of a battery is an idiot. a 50% charged battery is a door stop and will never recover

With one of our cars getting less use due to lockdown and stop/start getting a bit flaky our local dealer advised getting a battery conditioner and quite by coincidence they sold one. Its called the Ring RSC404 Intelligent Battery Charger and they wanted £45. When I got home I did a bit of research and it came with good reviews but I found it for sale on ebay for just over £20. Bought one and I use it once a month for about 12 hours. Its item number 223724555248 and will be far better than any old cover on the bonnet.

Thanks for this , ill have a look at them
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts