Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a 2007 1.5 Note (no cruise control)
I have had it for 9months and it has approx 40,000 miles on the clock (approx 32,000 when I bought it )

Its just today started to make a snapping noise when i press the clutch pedal

Ive had a read around the forum and came across the discussion about 'clicking' pedals but it doesnt seem to be that problem.. I've seen the youtube video posted about this too and the screws are all tight and fitting nicely

when i lie in the foot well and push the clutch down the only thing i notice that happens when it snaps is a very small brown plastic nut on the opposite side of where the spring is attached moves slightly and when i press it back in it stops it snapping for the first press of the pedal but then it reoccurs.

I'm not sure what the brown plastic nut was like before because i never played around there before but is this common? and if so is it connected to the snapping?

ive had no other issues and the spring seems fine and well lubricated, but im concerned because it started suddenly and i dont want the clutch to fail!! i need the car for my work!

Thanks for your help
i hope ive provided enough info
i can always take a picture and upload

thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
it may be the clutch switch that has broke and is just catching on something or its the classic loose top nut<div abp="872">
<div abp="873">nice little youtube vid on the subject from David Garside a member on here (please thumbs up the video or leave a comment)
<div abp="874">
<div abp="875">[tube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jrq6k7QdFM[/tube]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help.

As mentioned in my original post I have already seen the video and identified that it's not the nut that's loose.

After researching the clutch parts I have found that it's the master cylinder that it's the brown button I was referring to. This still happens although it's not that frequent but when the snapping happens I pull over, reach down and push the master cylinder clip that is attached to the clutch pedal and it stops the snapping.

Does this mean the master cylinder needs replacing?

The costs is between 50-150 for the part online.. Not sure how to go about it or if it's significant enough to do?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
brown button ? the master cylinder is attached via a rod only brown thing, as I said above is the clutch switch<div abp="894">
<div abp="895">This pic shows the linkage where the master cylinder attaches to the pedal and the pedal assembly with switch
<div abp="895">
<div abp="895">

<div abp="895">
<div abp="895">
<div abp="895">
<div abp="895">
<div abp="895">
<div abp="895">
<div abp="895">

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi
Thanks for your prompt reply
the image you have uploaded is really helpful.
On the image.. where the clutch master cylinder has that circular thing attached to it (above the letter C on clutch on the image ) thats the bit that comes out, not completely, but when i press it back in (towards the clutch) it stops making the snapping sound.. for a while, then it comes out again and stops when i push it back in...

any thoughts?
thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
ah that's just the fixing point that's part of the master cylinder rod you can remove the rod but its not available on its own<div abp="1479">
<div abp="1477">£89 from euro car parts -Product Code: 13670013J
<div abp="1477">
<div abp="1477">

<div abp="1478">

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi thats great thanks. Does it definitely need replacing? Is it easy to fit and would it be ok to drive until the part arrives? Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Should be fine, I think the design of it just means the socket wears out as its pressed andreleased this seems more common issueon the qashqai

·
Registered
16 Posts
hello...this happened to me last year but it had snapped so it was replace but its now started again....i assume they should last more than 12 months since my last one lasted from new and the car is a 61 plate. is there anything that can be done as a temp fix?
thanks

al

·
Super Moderator
2,001 Posts
I did a 'quick' fix, and it's held really great. Got a zip cable tie, about 4mm wide, formed a loop, then 'lasoo'd' the clip thingy, after I clicked it back into place.

Pulled it as tight as I could, and cut off the excess. Holding so far.:wink:

Easy to remove if necessary.:smile_big:

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Well done "Boysie" a good fix. It seems now a days, having ideas on how to fix things is lost!
If you cannot find the cure on Google, people have not a clue.
If you don't give things a try, I'm afraid it's going to cost you.

Mind you, that's modern technology for you, people don't have to think :crying:. I can see how you get so many miles out of your cars. Bubble gum sealing wax and cable ties :smile_big:.

Reactions: Boysie

·
Super Moderator
2,001 Posts
Poxy piece of plastic.....I bet a new one will cost an arm and a leg.:surprise:

In actual fact, I never tried to take it off. I suppose it just unclips, somehow. Fiddly f'in thing.......I'll use a peice of Meccano next time. I know just the thing that'll do it.:wink:

MECC.JPG

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey, thanks for replying...i will give it a try...i did get a quote for it and its roughly £150 to fix but i have only changed it roughly 12 months ago so shouldnt be happening again.

·
Super Moderator
2,001 Posts
£150 effin quid. That's taking the pee.:surprise:

Is that a main stealer price, or an independent garage/mechanic.?.......Do you know how much the part was.?

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Now there you go "Boysie" I bet there are members in here who never seen a Meccano set, let alone play with one :crying:.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, the part is around 80 and it will be 2 hrs labour...I assume hey will have to change the whole thing. It's a local garage and one that is reasonable and have used before.

·
Super Moderator
2,001 Posts
just wanted to make sure we are talking about the same part....i have taken a picture...

if it is....where do you put the cable tie?

Around the narow part with the slots in. Make sure the part is pressed home fully, before pulling the cable tie tight,:wink:

Loop the cable tie first, before placing it, but not so tight that it's hard to get on.:smile:..........once on, make sure the part is full pushed on, then pull the tie as tight as you can, while keeping the part fully on.
Lets us know the result.:wink:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts