Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, the girlfriends note has this problem and wondered if anyone has had the same problem.

The car is an 06 1.6se.

The clutch pedal twangs and clicks and apparently is getting worse.

Could it just be the spring?

Is it easy to replace the pedal?

Simon

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
you may want to take a look at the spring and make sure its not broken or moved a light smear of grease should sort it
the clutch pedal is just a few bolts

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I spent a couple of days with my brother stripping down a the majority of a VW lupo just to get put a new pedal box in due to a faulty part - What a job.

I thought it was just a few bolts but modern cars seem to have a way of making it as hard as possible to replace parts.

What a great site, I was struggling to find any info before I found this forum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If the spring is broken, which I have already experienced, then it is important to change it, because otherwise the clutch release bearing will remain in contact with the diaphragm fingers causing premature wear.

Richard
What a super forum

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before you take things apart, it might be worth checking the little push button switch located at the top of the clutch pedal travel. We have the same click/twang noise, but I've isolated it to this little switch and plan to just grease it up a bit with wd40 or similar.

Will let you know how I get on..!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
don't put wd40 anywhere near it, the "button" is infact a clutch switch only use a light smear of silicon or white Teflon grease

Wd40 is a good degreaser but tends to dry things out and doesn't really lube the part

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
the only good thing about wd40 is the smell

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If you want a good penetrating lubricant use Dow Cornings Molykote product "Omnigliss" 400Ml spray is around £6.50.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its used by the ecu to work out loadings and fueling, Its also used by the cruise control (iirc if you have the cruise set and press the clutch it drops the CC out)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks flash22 - the car's been into the dealership twice (once to change the CC switch and again when that didn't work). The issue's been isolated to the clutch spring and they're fitting a grommet to it to prevent the click returning. Hopefully that'll sort it!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Right. I thought i'dvtry to get to the bottom of this problem on my 59 reg 1.5dci. I armed myself with a torch, some silicone grease and some rags etc and got down under the dash. I looked for the clutch switch...no sign of it or any associated wiring ????? But on moving the pedal, I noticed the clutch pedal bracket moved slightly sideways. I checked the 3 retaining nuts and found the top one to be a bit loose....managed to tighten it (13mm) and I now have a smooth and noise-free pedal...so far anyway. I finished off with greasing the spring and pivot points....fingers crossed now. Hope this helps someone out there.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the dervs don't need it as the job done by the ecu and other sensors

the clutch switch on most cars is there for the cruise control and ecu monitoring

·
Registered
363 Posts
David Garside said:
Right. I thought i'dvtry to get to the bottom of this problem on my 59 reg 1.5dci. I armed myself with a torch, some silicone grease and some rags etc and got down under the dash. I looked for the clutch switch...no sign of it or any associated wiring ????? But on moving the pedal, I noticed the clutch pedal bracket moved slightly sideways. I checked the 3 retaining nuts and found the top one to be a bit loose....managed to tighten it (13mm) and I now have a smooth and noise-free pedal...so far anyway. I finished off with greasing the spring and pivot points....fingers crossed now. Hope this helps someone out there.
I don't believe it!!!! that's exactly what I found on my pedal bracket....but I couldn't get to it....& as the bottom 2 were okay I thought it should be like that!!!.so I left it & on advice from Flash put some lithium grease around the moving parts...it was/is much better but I'll certainly have another go at the bracket tomorrow.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ps....you may find you can tighten it quite a bit with your fingers, then you only need the spanner in there for the final 'nip-up'. It worked for me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mine's ok!!!! just had a look/tighten, ah well. It's certainly not as bad as it was though, very 'rough' movement on the stroke.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had to push the top of the bracket back towards the bulkhead a bit to allow the nut to tighten, you might find yours is the same...worth double checking as it's a bit awkward to get at....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts