Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a very long Motorway drive , I pulled into a Services for fuel and found the clutch biting point VERY close to bottom a few times, then immediately NO Clutch Pedal ?? . A quick check found NO Fluid in resevoir , a quick refill didnt sort it ( how to bleed ?? ) Starting car in 1st gear got me moving again and 200 mile up the motorway without a clutch got me home , but overnight all the fluid i put in is now a puddle on the drive ??? Help please .. is it a gearbox off job or can I access a slave cylinder ??

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its a gearbox out job and as you've guessed its more than likely the slave iirc its part of the thrust bearing,but I would also inspect the pipework

edit. the main shaft goes through the centre of the cylinder and thrust bearing tbh while is apart do the clutch as it may be contaminated (but you wont know that till its apart
Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that , but is there no way to access the slave ?? I also cant see any way this system could be bled ?? . Any ideas on costs , from an independant Garage ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again , Diagram was helpful , looks like I need to get the wallet out ..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Unfortunately a lot of cars now havea 'concentric' slave cylinder fitted (combined slave cylinder and thrust bearing) If they fail you have to have the gearbox out as there is no other way of changing them. You would be unwise andfoolish not to change the clutch at the same time. We had the slave cylinder on my son's 03 Fiesta leak a couple of months ago and the cost to replace the clutch/slave cylinder was £300
What was once an easy job is now a nice 'little earner'

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Job sorted , clutch had minimal wear , but the springs had broken ?? and the concentric slave had failed ... dont know why , but full sorted for 300 squid ( could have been 350 ish ) ..

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
glad you go it sorted, the fingers in the pressure plate can go if the driver rides the clutch a bit too often or there isa slight defect in the pressure plate
damaged fingers will cause the thrust bearing to not make proper contact in turn It will put odd loads on the slave causing it to fail

gone have the days of doing a clutch in a few hours on the drive or 30 min on a cavalier/nova/astra as you didn't evenneed to take the gearbox out ( 1 big nut an you canslide the main shaft out)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Happy memories of cars we could all work on. I changed a Maxi clutch at a Caravan Club CL outside Gateshead and only needed a socket set and the jack to support the engine, and people said that transverse engines made life difficult. When the oil runs out we'll all have to go back to horse & trap and just imagine how much you-know-what there'll be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats explained LOADS , Flash 22 ..... Too Embarrassed to admit that 6 months ago I had clutch problems and had to "force it " for a day or two , Only to find my Rubber mat had ridden up under pedal to reduce movement ... Mat moved , job sorted , but clearly I had damaged the springs ..costing me a new clutch eventually.. Doooooh !

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
ah we all learn by our mistakes - yes could of added to the issue of the clutch problem

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's an important value of this forum - we can learn from others' mistakes and misfortunes. It's a shame that some of us have to learn the hard (expensive) way. At least we're not alone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts