Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have enjoyed owning a Note for the past year, however I am now 'surprised' to learn the clutch has burnt out. with 13000 miles on the clock, no difficulty in changing gear, no 'smell' of burning, on any other symptoms I am at a loss. I am still waiting to hear from the dealership, as to whether this if a 'Nissan' problem or mine. I have been a car owner for over thirty years, and have never had to replace a clutch!!Any comments/help would be appreciated. I am not lookingforward to trying to find £800 for the job...

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
£800 are they taking the piss?

Well less than half that at any decent independent garage using OEM parts.

Edited by: Nigel B

·
Registered
257 Posts
edgaraldo said:
I am now 'surprised' to learn the clutch has burnt out. with 13000 miles on the clock, no difficulty in changing gear, no 'smell' of burning, on any other symptoms I am at a loss.
What are the symptoms then. What is the clutch doing (or not doing) that means it requires replacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car was towed away on Friday, after a flat tyre, the RAC chap couldn't move it, said the clutch has burnt out, the dealership has agreed with him. I'm waiting to see the evidence, which they will supply via photos.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Withthe car in neutral a "burnt out clutch" will not preventit from moving. The only things I can think of that wouldprevent a car from moving when in neutralare a broken/siezed gearbox/diff or seized on brakes.
Ever considered that garages might have a handy burnt out clutch they use to con customers with.

Did you choose the garage it was towed to or did the RAC man. Insert your conspiracy theory here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just for info, I got a clutch replaced on a 08 petrol note about 6 months ago at a cost of £400 at a nissan dealer, so you are getting seriously ripped off at £800. I think the clutch kit is about £250 + labour to fit it.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Just to add, as I could not believe an £800 quote that I have just called west London Nissan to ask for a 'ballpark' figure and was quoted £4-500, so about £300-350 at an independent then.

Don't let them remove your old clutch. They will charge you to reassemble it so that you take it to a 'proper' garage.

Edited by: Nigel B

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your input. I am hoping to get some help from the RAC on this matter. My concern is obliviously, I wont be able to prove the clutch wasn't my fault, despite the meagre 1300 miles, and my 30 plus years of driving, without any 'sniff' of problems with a clutch.Another thing , they cant examine the clutch without removing the gearbox, which needs to happen if the clutch is faulty, then I wont have to pay...

I'm not holding my breath!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I own a 2016 nissan note dig petrol I started to have problems with my car with the clutch so I had a diagnostics done because I took an extended warrant out with motorangel and when it came back they said the clutch was burnt out I had to have the flywheel and cylinder and clutch replaced, when I took the warranty out it suppose to cover wear and tear and clutch parts, the warranty came back they would replace the cylinder and the flywheel but I had to pay for the 3 piece clutch because they said it was aggressive driving, I am so fed up what proof have they got to say that it as 40.000 miles on the clock and i am second owner and kept up with my servicing which was done a few week back. sorry to go on a bit still at the garage since last Thursday Shaun

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I own a 2016 nissan note dig petrol I started to have problems with my car with the clutch so I had a diagnostics done because I took an extended warrant out with motorangel and when it came back they said the clutch was burnt out I had to have the flywheel and cylinder and clutch replaced, when I took the warranty out it suppose to cover wear and tear and clutch parts, the warranty came back they would replace the cylinder and the flywheel but I had to pay for the 3 piece clutch because they said it was aggressive driving, I am so fed up what proof have they got to say that it as 40.000 miles on the clock and i am second owner and kept up with my servicing which was done a few week back. sorry to go on a bit still at the garage since last Thursday Shaun
Same problem here.
Car serviced and MOT'D last week, clutch dies this week after 140miles.
Smell of acetone as well which I had thought was just cleaner but having read up seems that acetone gets used to take oil off the clutch plate, so if they've not cleaned it right oil and heat don't go well together.
Off to chat about this and obtain a refund on the service and MOT plan I've paid upfront for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts