Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question.. on the top-end climate control, with all settings in Auto, is the A/C (orange) light meant to come on and off automatically as the system engages and disengages the a/c ?? (On mine if I press the center knob THEN the light will switch on and off)... but Im talking if left alone in AUto mode?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
thats the one, also the a/c comes on when its set to screen vents only, i have climate on my 59 tekna

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL... Ill ask again.... THE A/C LIGHT.... does it light up automatically if the climate control is set to Auto ??

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
No. You have to press the knob in to make it come on. It does remember that it was pressed though when you turn the ignition on the next day.

Dunno if it goes on & off by itself.

Comes on if there is a diesel car in front and I press the right hand knob to engage recirculate as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed mnl... pressing the knob is standard on/off operation and the a/c light lights up accordingly. But in Auto mode, when temp, air speed and circulation is controlled automatically I was wondering if as the "brains" decides it needs the a/c on, then does that light come on by itself too.. and vice versa when the brain switches the a/c off again.

On MY car, in Auto, the light NEVER comes on by itself.. which either indicate a problem, although my aircon needs a recharge anyhow... OR ... its the way it works normally... hence the OP :)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
According to the manual, (the one you download: the one with the car has a digital display)

The air con pump runs all the time you have the light on by pressing the switch. This provides cooling and dehumidified air. It also provides dehumidified hot air. If you want cooling then you have to press the button to activate the pump.

When you want nice damp muggy hot air (or another 5 mpg
) you press the switch to turn it off, and it stays off until you mess with the distribution and select a windscreen symbol, or you put it on recirculate, when it will come back on by itself.

Not quite as auto as you think then.

Now I've had mine for 3 weeks, it is as stinky as my old socks, the next job is to find out where the recirculate inlet is to squirt the sanitiser spray inside before I get some respiratory disease from the fungus spores.

Why they can't just drain outside like in the olden days I don't know. (I do actually, they got fed up of people complaining that the car was leaking "fluid" when the air con was running, so they stopped the drain pipes and just let pools of water live inside the aircon)

Edited by: mnl

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the esm is for the pre facelift the facelift aircon/climate does work differently if you have the climaite set to auto and the temp set how you want it the climate will regulate the temp to what ever you set it too

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I hope we are talking about this one

The red light is on, I pressed the switch!

It maintains a temperature by mixing hot & cold air and ramping down the fan as it gets nearer to the set point. Seems to work, but it can't go colder than outside air unless you manually switch the pump on with the centre knob.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mnl said:
I hope we are talking about this one

The red light is on, I pressed the switch!

It maintains a temperature by mixing hot & cold air and ramping down the fan as it gets nearer to the set point. Seems to work, but it can't go colder than outside air unless you manually switch the pump on with the centre knob.
Yep.. thats the one. Now..... either its me getting old (which is more than likely) and/or Im missing the pointy here, but........................

................. does the orange/red light come on and off by itself or not if the other settings are as per the excellent pic???

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
It stays on all the time once pressed in. The pump runs all the time once pressed in, so it has chilled air available all the time. If you dial it up to 28 it adds hot air to the chilled air so you get dry warm air.
If you dial it down to 16 on a hot day it just puts out the chilled air.

It doesn't regulate the cooling by dropping the pump in and out, it does it by blowing more or less hot air into the chilled mix, and running the fan faster when farther from the set point, slowing as it nears it.

If it was minus 20 outside, you would press the centre button in again to turn the pump off and get maximum heat, as the air coming in is dry anyway at minus 20.

Today once I got rid of the hot air from the sunshine, I pressed the centre button which put the light out and stopped the pump and everything worked fine, because the air from outside was at about 12 degrees, so it could maintain 19 all right.

If I press the right knob to get recirculated air, the centre lamp comes on and the pump starts to dry the air so I don't mist up. (the centre lamp won't go out again though until I press the centre button in again)
If I twizzle the left knob until it points at either of the two windscreen symbols the same thing happens.
This is how it is supposed to work.

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Having said all that I still think I've heard that pump clutch cut in and out, but the light stays on. Likely it cuts out regularly to let any ice on the cooling matrix melt.

Alfisto is an air con guru, maybe he will chip in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL.. thanks mnl... what you described more or less reflects what my climate control does in terms of activating the orange a/c light manually i.e. via center push, or right hand push, or left hand demist position twizzle. But in Auto?? If the brains say... the air is too humid... and powers up the a/c, does the light come on by itself. Then when the brains says...... its just right and switches off the a/c then does the light go off again.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
No, it isn't that clever

The clue is in the centre knob: PUSH A/C you push it to get the A/C pump running or not. You set the temperature it aims for with the fans and the flaps inside the heater.

The left knob is manual or auto distribution (push to activate the heated rear window, and mirrors hopefully on ours), and the right knob is manual or auto fan speed, and push to force intake in or out or auto. (Likely only selects recirculate on auto if the car is hot and it is going for max chill)

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I crank the centre knob down to 16, it automatically comes on as well. At any setting above the minimum, I've never seen it come on by itself. But then I've only had it since March and I don't believe there've been any days where it needs help to keep the car at 17C!

Personally, I hate climate control systems. But my wife is the driver, and she likes it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts