Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted 15" steel or alloy wheels to an SVE/Tekna/n-Tec? I've now had test drives in one Acenta, where the ride was OK, and two with the 16" wheels where the ride just wasn't good enough. I care nothing about image, or handling: I want comfort, and I quite like the idea of the toys in the top-end models, but there seem to be far more Teknas for sale than Acentas, particularly diesels, and at auction, where I'd hope to buy.

What would be the problems in buying and fitting 15" wheels with 65 profile tyres to a Tekna? I'd either sell the 16" ones or hang onto them till I sell the car.

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
As far as I'm aware, it's a straight swap. The only thing to bear in mind is the rolling radius of the wheel and tyre combination, which it seems you have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The rolling radius of 185/55R16 and 175/65R15 are, in theory, within a gnat's of each other, so unless the brakes are bigger on the higher spec cars (which seems unlikely), it will perhaps come down to how insurers react, and how expensive a set of wheels would be.

I'd have thought there'd be plenty around, as people do seem to like buying new, fancy ones, but there aren't many on ebay.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
All specs regarding suspension and brakes are uniform

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Deffo inform the insurance company. You know what they're like for trying to get out of paying a claim.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is that true that the circumference of a radius 15" is the same as that of 16" - not when I went to school. You will end up with more turns per same distance covered and an over egged speedo - IMHO.

But then what do I know........not a lot...

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Midasi1 said:
But then what do I know........not a lot...

Add on the increased profile height of the tyre and the overall diameter and hence the circumference is not too dissimilar.

+1 for telling your insurers.
Edited by: Nigel B

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok, so if you do change to the 15's and different tyres how much softer will the ride be, simply because I find the ride hard on our Tekna too.

Izzy

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Good question. How long is a piece of string? If you fitted 15" wheels and tyres with a particularly 'stiff' sidewall I wouldn't imaging the ride to be much softer.

That said, my daughter (a Seat Ibiza driver) removed the 17" wheels and thin rubber bands that were fitted to her car and replaced them with 15" rims and much higher profile tyres (as fitted to the non boy-racer variants). Overall rolling diameter was the same but the comfort was absolutely transformed; rolling over a leaf on the road no longer risks spine damage

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I'm ultra-cautious with insurance companies, and I know they've heard all the stories many times, so I always tell them everything. The problem comes with online quote systems that the moment you answer "yes" to "Are there any modifications?", they kick you out of the application, and tell you to phone, so you lose all chance of your Quidco or Topcashback cashback.

Why do car makers assume that if you want top trim levels, you must also want a lousy ride?

And why don't even franchised dealers know that not all Notes have the same sized tyres?

Kevin (still looking)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
dealers tend not to care, it could just as well be fridges they are selling for all the attention they give the product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re insurance.
Are you changing anything or just using one of the manufacturerspecified size options?

I have thought of getting a set of winter tyres but 15"would bethe only sensibleway to go.

59 Tekna Auto 16"(I think it rides well on original Contiand now Forceum)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just noticed this...I know, a bit late but anyway.I changed my tyres on my 2008 Tekna from 16" to 15" (185/65/15) as I didn't like the ride from the original spec. Having previously driven a 2006 SE with said 15" wheels, the ride was more comfortable.

I got a set of genuine Nissan 15" alloys on ebay for a very good price and sold the 16" alloys on ebay ....for a very good price, so no problems there.

If you look in the owners handbook it clearly states that either 15" or 16" wheels/tyres can be used (pages 9-7 in book)

'' Tyre size....175/65/15
185/65/15
185/65/16

so its ok to change to 15 inch wheels/tyres.....

I am just about to replace a pair of tyres and debating over whether to get Yokohama A drives again. I have used these for 4 years now, on 2 different Notes and been quite impressed, especially with the wear. However I think they may be a 'bit' noisy....not too bad but just wondering if there are quieter alternatives out there.....

lol, another tyre question

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
The yoko c-drives are good tire (iirc the c is for comfort) and arnt that loud tbh

do a google search there aretons of reviews

1 - 14 of 14 Posts