Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Maybe this is asked before, but couldn't find it on the forum.

Since we lost 1 key, and the ignition lock starts to give troubles, I bought a secondhand one, complete with 2 keys, doorlock and ecu. Problem is the ecu is not the same as in my Note (E11 1.6 2010) so I just want to exchange the locks. I know I need to use the transponder from the old key, but where is that located in the key? I have the square key with lock and unlock buttons. I know how to program the central locking function, but not the transponder.

This is the key, to me it looks like the 'coil' bottom left on the print is the transponder, but I could be totally wrong.
Who knows more about this?

Thanks in advance
Greets
Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, the "coil" is the transponder.. And how do you program the central locking thing, if I may ask?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, and have you really tried it? Working? For my '06 note this and other similar methods doesn't work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Note doesn't support programming keys with the methods that Almera, Primera etc. use.
You need to conect to the diagnostic software for the key programming.

That said, isn't it easier to replace the ignition and use the new keys but have a professional re-program them with the tools to your car? It may not be cheap though.

Offtopic: I had only 1 key to my car, so I bought a cheap one off eBay, and the local guy charged 50 EUR to program it (literally a 5-minute job.) I can't understand why, but for some reason this new cheap key takes multiple key-presses to lock/unlock the car. It isn't caused by a bad battery, and not related to how hard I press the button. It'll unlock on the 2nd try, then on the 8th try, then on the 10th try, then again on the 2nd try, 6th try etc. It's totally random and I can't figure out the logic.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Offtopic: I had only 1 key to my car, so I bought a cheap one off eBay, and the local guy charged 50 EUR to program it (literally a 5-minute job.) I can't understand why, but for some reason this new cheap key takes multiple key-presses to lock/unlock the car. It isn't caused by a bad battery, and not related to how hard I press the button. It'll unlock on the 2nd try, then on the 8th try, then on the 10th try, then again on the 2nd try, 6th try etc. It's totally random and I can't figure out the logic.
The key produces a different code each time you press it, there must be an error in the algorithm the copy uses, and it works when the key and car get back into synch.

Have a look at
for how remote keys work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think that's what I'm going to do. Or I use the ecu that came with the lock, it's from an 1.6, but older than mine, and automatic. But is the mileage etc also stored in the ecu?
Will just place the print of the old key in the new key do the trick?
Guess I best pay the Nissan dealer a visit
Thanks for all your advice 👍🏼

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Will just place the print of the old key in the new key do the trick?
I think the security transponder chip is in the plastic part of the key, but I can't see it either. Try opening the car then put the circuit from the new key into the old one, leave the old circuit and the new key in the house and see if the old key with new circuit will start the car, or if the NATS activates.

I think I'd wind the windows down, or keep the drivers door ajar in case it decides to deadlock you inside- anything can happen with Renaults :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I did some experimentation today.

With the pcb removed from my key, the NATS light flashes like mad- I didn't try starting the car but I expect it won't.
With the pcb in place, but no battery in the key, the NATS light goes out as normal.

Conclusion, the security transponder is on that pcb, and it is passive, so just change the lock barrels, and swap the pcb into the new key.

That won't register the other key though, which will require programming with the dealer's CONSULT- you might as well get all 3 pcbs registered then you have a spare.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I did some experimentation today.

With the pcb removed from my key, the NATS light flashes like mad- I didn't try starting the car but I expect it won't.

Don't try this at home folks, turning on the ignition with an unregistered key, or no pcb like I did, sets a P1611 error code.
Looking that up it is a NATS error (as expected) but apparently after 5 failed attempts the whole system bricks, and you get to push the car to a Nissan dealer, even if you have the right key. o_O

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if I just exchange the pcb from the old to the new key, it should work?
Didn't gave the time to work on this yet 😬

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Based on my experiment yes, the NATS transponder is on the PCB, not in the key itself (I didn't believe it at first)

Just swap the igniton lock and the door lock, then swap the pcb from the original key to one of the new ones. The second key will not work unless you get it added to the security system, and it appears that trying it 5 times when it isn't added will brick the ecu.

Reactions: RobDC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update :

Changed the lock and the inside of the original key, and it works 😊😊🎉
Now all I have to do is pay the local Nissan dealer a visit to program the second key
😊
Thanks for all your advice and tips 👍🏼

1 - 13 of 13 Posts