Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any tips to stop car ramps slipping when you try and drive your car up them ?
I have tried a few times today but get no higher than the second "rung" before they fly out in front of the car.
My drive is concrete and the area where the car is parked in my back garden is loose gravel and no, i have not charged at the ramps like a racing driver.I have tried on both surfaces and both are as bad as each other.
Any tips gratefully received.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Get some old carpet or something, and loop it through the bottom rung, so that your wheels are firmly on the carpet before they start to climb the ramp. This stops the ramp moving away from the wheels as you start, then if it is the front wheels, don't touch the footbrake, if the wheel stops it just pushes the ramp forwards, use the handbrake.

Creep onto the ramp, not charge at it :wink:

I tend to jack the car up and shove the ramp under the wheels nowadays.

I suppose you could drill a pair of holes in the ramp and screw them to the concrete with coach bolts every time you need them.:smile:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I managed to wedge the ramps using a couple of 3x2 paving slabs i had lying in the garden.
Job done !

·
Registered
887 Posts
I just jack the car up and put the ramps under the wheels.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I think "Ferg84" idea is the best so far, there's not many people with 3 X 2 paving slabs lying around their gardens :smile_big:.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My jack wont go high enough for Freg84's idea.
As for the paving slabs i "borrowed" them from a pathway at the bottom of the garden then put them back.
SHHH ! Don't tell my missus.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But i would still need to jack the car high enough to get the axle stands under. The pathetic scissor jack that is in the car only just lifts the wheel off the ground and then it creaks and groans. I would not trust it to go much higher and certainly not high enough to use axle stands.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Get a hydraulic jack. If you are doing enough work on your car to warrant car ramps, you are doing enough to warrant a jack better than an emergency use only one.

This as a bare minimum...£25 and I use one similar all the time at my storage garage
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sakura-2-Tonne-Trolley-Jack/dp/B00EC83X1Y

This one would give you a little bit more lift, not that you'd need it
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-1153CX-Chassis-Heavy-Duty-Trolley/dp/B000RA2ZD8

You can use blocks to increase height a bit but don't do what I did and go overboard resulting in nearly being crushed by a Morris Traveller

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Or Euro Car Parts

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/trolley jack

The thing is your prepared to purchase a £22.00 item to remove hose clips, that you would use once in a blue moon, yet you use the pathetic car jack that Nissan issue for roadside puncture wheel change over.

Think safety !!!!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cars safe enough on ramps, more so than on axle stands, i'm not afraid of a bit of jiggling around on ramps but would never do it on stands.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Your twisting the subject to suit your argument. The original subject was the best way to get your car onto ramps.
Which was you. Then "mnl" suggested carpet, then "ferg84" suggested jack the car up first, for safety though with a jack in the centre of the car, it can easily slip, only having one point of contact, so between pushing your ramps under catching something causing severe damage to the under side shove the axle stands in just in case. then remove the stands before lowering the car onto the ramps. For yourself and the cars safety, it's a belt and braces job.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Keep using the slabs then, it wasn't me who asked for tips on how to stop the ramps sliding. Simples

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sometime two, or more, heads are better than one. On this occasion i found a solution after i asked the question.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I get Mrs jimmer to lie in front of my ramps, and put a foot on each of them while i drive onto them. She is also in the ideal position to shout 'left a bit' and 'right a bit'
I prefer her to put jeans on for this manoeuvre.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
You never know what would happen if she wore a mini skirt :smile_big:.

·
Registered
695 Posts
She did come down early one Saturday morning in her nightie to give me an early start with the ramps, but that's a road i don't want to go down again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts