Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost a new Note owner, but having difficulty making the final decision. After test driving every conceivable similar MPV / Crossover type car over the past year I've narrowed the search down to two cars - the 1.4 Note n-tec+ and 1.2 Skoda Yeti SE Plus. Putting the price difference aside, any words of wisdom to help me come to a conclusion would be most welcome. I currently drive a 1.8 Volvo V40 which I have happily owned for the last 10 years and want something which is a worthy replacement. Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You'll have to live with it, so it should be your decision and if you have driven and looked inside both cars it shouldn't be that difficult surely!

·
Registered
74 Posts
You'll get more on the roof of a Yeti ( topgear landed a 750KG helicopter on one ), but you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of a single Note!

1.2 v 1.4 hmm, the Yeti has a lot more PSs than the Note -so you may need to take that in consideration if you're gonna haul a lot of weight around.
On looks alone, the Note beats the Yeti hands down.
The Note can be a tight squeeze in the front seats if you're pleasantly plump ( No offence intended here, but we're a couple of skinny buggers and still manage to rub elbows if we don't take our ski jackets off! )
Edited by: dandgb

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the yeti you have to rev till the tappets come out and dance and thay are sloooooow having driven one just after launch, good kit wise tho if your even thinking of using it on the motorway go for the note
tbh you get bias opions on here, i spent 6 months looking at cars till i bought the note, so far i have owned the note longer than any other car i have had.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Don't forget, the 1.2 is the base model Yeti...if funds permitted, and I absolutely HAD to have the Skoda, I would be looking at one of the bigger engine options, perhaps the 1.6 tdi Greenline, which develops the same horsepower as the 1.2 (103 bhp) yet develops considerably more torque (184 ft/lbs against 129 ft/lbs for the 1.2) at lower revs. Mind you, the Yeti is as ugly as the name suggests, so it's never gonna be my 1st choice. One more thing to consider is safety...the Yeti has an NCAP score of 5 stars, whereas the Note is still stuck with that 4 star rating from the series 1 cars. I don't understand why this should be, when the HORRIBLE Renault Modus (essentially a Frenchman's idea of a Note) has the full 5 stars...maybe it's all those snails and frogs legs.
For motorway driving the 1.5dci Note is hard to beat...the 1.4 is comparatively gutless for overtaking and the 1.6 needs a taller top gear for cruising.

Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sorry don't know anything about Skoda cars or engines.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Skoda are probably better in over all quality than most of the VAG group, good cars and have been for quite some time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to everyone who posted a reply. There was some useful advice, which is more than I got to the same question posted on the Yeti forum - only a few welcome to the forum responses.
Anyway, you might be interested to learn that I have today placed an order for a 1.4 Note n-tec+ in Haptic Blue, with collection from the dealer arranged for 20 March. I will post my first impressions soon after. I will miss my trusty Volvo - just hope I won't live to regret it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
After 7 days of owning our Haptic Blue N-Tec I have one complaint - the paint work scratches too easily and it don't half show the dirt!Methinks this colour will take a lot of care and maintenance.
Still this is only minor grumble, the car is great - coming home the other day and saw we'd crept up to 85mph and the wife didn't notice (unlike the Picasso or the old Xsara she can't see the speedo from the passenger seat!) that motor is so quiet!
Hope you enjoy your new motor

·
Registered
181 Posts
On Skodas v. Nissans, I've had several Skoda Favorits (1991-1994 models) and found them noisy but really tough. One even went up a 1-in-4 hill in 2nd with a blowing head gasket. We (SWMBO) considered the Yeti, but found it less roomy than the Note and less attractive, so we got a Note. I wasn't very keen on it at first, but it's grown on me and I quite like it now. I still have grumbles about things like no dashboard indication of dipped beams, but I've been spoiled by my old Skodas.

SWMBO likes the feeling of space in the Note and, although she's not slim, we never clash elbows except when trying to fasten seat belts simultaneously. I don't think you'll regret buying a Note and you've a host of really helpful people on this forum. Enjoy it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts