Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just bought a 59 plate note - 1.6 N-Tec auto. Am I right in thinking this car has a drive chain rather than cam belt?

If I am wrong what is the change interval?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
petrols have a chain as long as you do oil and filter changes with quialty oil the engine will out last the car
only the dci diesel (renault engine)has a cam belt

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
So pleased with a cam CHAIN.
Got hacked off with my last series of cars (Seat Alhambras) in having to pay £400 every five years to remove a perfectly good cam belt. Three belts over the years and none of them showed any sign of wear and. of course you 'had' to replace all of the tensioners and the ruddy water pump "just in case".

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Nigel B said:
So pleased with a cam CHAIN.
Got hacked off with my last series of cars (Seat Alhambras) in having to pay £400 every five years to remove a perfectly good cam belt. Three belts over the years and none of them showed any sign of wear and. of course you 'had' to replace all of the tensioners and the ruddy water pump "just in case".
oh yes but when thay do let go thay destroy the engine as lots of engines have ainterferance fitvalve, piston setup

never snaped one butmy first corsa had a strange ticking sound what turned out to be a split cam belt

think i have a pic somewhere

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Had a cam belt go on a Vauxhall Carlton on the A338 in Bournemouth (a three-week-old hire car).
I was towed off the roundabout (of course the engine let go about half way round) by a Police BMW motorbike - amazing torque and a great bloke riding it who phoned ahead for me to stop people worrying and arranged recovery by the hire company.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
this is the closest ive come to snapping a cam belt (bought the car as "trade" 2 days before)

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Close, very close
The Carlton I had hired needed a 'top job' and a new short engine.

The hire company tried to convince my employers at the time that the car had been 'abused'. They pointed out the amount we spent with them and they shut up very quickly.

I had only done two trips, totalling around 250 miles,although I do admit to 'abusing' it very loudly on the A338 roundabout!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts