Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a nissan note 08 1.5 dci 80000 miles and need cam belt changing.its breaking my heart hearing the quotes of £300 plus new water pump?! any ideas where this can be done cheaper?! thanks!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
You can do it yourself, it isn't difficult, you just need a locking pin set, about £15 on eBay.
Then it is the price of the belt, new tensioner, new water pump and new coolant.

Otherwise, ring round your local garages for a quote.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got mine done for £110 and i bought belt + tensioner for £40. You dont need the water pump doing unless it the seals are weak and it is leaking. mine is on 132000 miles at the moment and still on first water pump (and clutch :D) but it only needs doing if it is leaking. (at least that is what i got told)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Best not to make a cam belt change your first job on a car

I'd have thought a mornings work plus parts, any competent garage can do it, likely nearer £200 than £300 all in, I'd get a new waterpump put on anyway as it will cost you the same again to change it if it starts leaking, just don't buy an eBay special either get a Nissan one, or a quality part from a good motorfactors. You should find your local garage can source all the parts trade and charge you a small percentage on top plus the labour.

(This is what I don't get with the main stealers, they get the parts trade and charge you retail plus a premium labour rate to fit them. They would be miles more competitive, and get more business, if they passed on the trade discount to the customer.)

·
Registered
181 Posts
This "talk" of cam belts bothers me. Mine is a 56 Note S and I was told that the valve gear is driven by a chain so there should benothing to worry about. Anything to add?

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Old Frank said:
This "talk" of cam belts bothers me. Mine is a 56 Note S and I was told that the valve gear is driven by a chain so there should benothing to worry about. Anything to add?

Diesels have cam belts.
Petrol have chains.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't go into the garage and ask for a cam belt change say your water pump is noisy ask for a quote on a water change then when he gives you the price just say while you are there put a new belt on.
job done.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
knocka said:
Don't go into the garage and ask for a cam belt change say your water pump is noisy ask for a quote on a water change then when he gives you the price just say while you are there put a new belt on.
job done.
Erm! you'll be lucky to get away with that one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts