Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 diesel note with only 30.000 miles on from new I have just had it serviced and they have recommended that I have the Cam belt and also the water pump and a pully changed at a cost of £369.00 is this necessary ? if so do you think the price is ok.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
The two jobs go hand in hand. To do the cam belt and the water pump together is practical, even though the water pump maybe 100%, or not. It's the same job to get access to. In fact the whole job comes in a kit for both jobs. It's your call, just to do the cam belt to save a some cash.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
The kit is circa £100 - £125. Approx 2.5 to 3.5 hours labour. Say £30 to £45 per hour. So the price isn't too bad. But 30, 000 miles is a bit soon, should be double that at least, unless there is wear or damage to the cambelt. But if it was personaly, I'd have it done, then it's case of fit and forget. It could be down to its age, and not the mileage.

You could ask them why it needs replacing in the first place

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'd guess it's because it's 7 odd years old. It's a low milage car and it may still hold out till it's ten years old. But if that belt fails you'll face a massive bill for a rebuild to a wrecked engine. It would be over a grand to put right...
The price they have quoted is reasonable and apart from your peace of mind it could help to sell the car or trade it in later if you can produce the itemised invoice.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
Such a low mileage for a Diesel, just make sure you do some long runs, and not just 'shopping trips'. The engine will benefit with long runs now and again. Not sure if you car is fitted with a DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) .....but if it has, long runs are essentail to burn off Diesel Particulates. Ask your mechanic if it has one fitted to your car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure if you car is fitted with a DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter)
The OP says the car is 2013.

All diesel cars registered in the UK (and the EU if you want to be totally accurate) from 01 January 2011 had to be fitted with a DPF, that is what the Euro 5 regulations stated.

Thus the car has a DPF (unless its been removed in which case its illegal to use it and will fail its next MOT).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. Your information has made my decision for me.Yes it has got a Particulate filter fitted and that gets a good reading at the main agents. I do give it a bit of welly once a week to help keep in the good zone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I do give it a bit of welly once a week to help keep in the good zone.
I can 100% assure you that what you are doing does no good whatsoever. In truth you are simply wasting diesel and producing more particles to block the DPF faster..

The soot particles are trapped in the DPF by chemical action, they become bonded to the platinium matrix. If they could be blown out simply by giving the car "a bit of welly" it would be a totally pointless piece of emissions equipment since they would end up in atmosphere. To remove the particles a regen takes place and to achieve the necessary 600 degree C temp to achieve a regen extra diesel is injected and over a period of probably 15 to 20 minutes on average you will sometimes notice a bit of smoke, a smell of burning, a different feel/sound from the engine etc, there again you may feel nothing, we are not all as sensitive. The car will only carry out a regen when the car ECU decides to which is based on the soot loading although some cars are also programmed to carry regens out at specific mileage intervals.

So just drive the car normally. No need to do anything but if you are only doing a low mileage buy a petrol next time. We had diesels with DPF's, did low mileages, just drove normally and never had an issue but since 2013 we have only bought petrols and will do so until buying an electric is the only option.

But back to your question about the cam belt. What is the Nissan interval for a change. Its always specified as a mileage or age and I would suspect that yours at 7 years is either close or past it, only cars with a longer interval we have had have been Fords at 10 years/100,000 miles.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I put 'Wynns' diesel treatment in the wifes Ford a couple of weeks prior to mot's for a few hundred miles driving, (i take it on a few runs) and it's never failed on emissions.
She only does short trips and around 5,000 miles per year.
I must admit though that i bought a petrol car to avoid the issue altogether.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts